• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with a reviewer reviewing something they don't like. If they are a good reviewer you will still learn something.

I loved ten of the 12 paragraphs in his review. It was a no nonsense review, where he spelled out exactly what was in the game, including the stuff he doesn't like.

But in his last two paragraphs he decided to go negative, with the clear implication that there is something wrong with you if you like the game.

In the last two paragraphs he went from reviewing to preaching.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Because it's his job as a man responsible for Video Game section on ANN? The game and site most likely share the same audience, so, it's only natural that it got covered here. Now, maybe people expected a little bit different point of view (kind of silly considering Todd's history with fanservice games), but this is their problem. At least, come up with something a little bit more constructive than simple "you and your puritan values suck" if you trying to criticize man's review.

I'd agree if reviews and previews often didn't tend to have the author's personal views/bias bleed into them occasionally making it seem like the game or whatever's being talked about is much worse or better than it actually is.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the above comment is that belief that reviews are purely objective.

I am not heavily affect by the review in question but I will say I don't particularly care for it. Yeah for a good portion of the writing he did review but I can't help but feel he got a little preachy at the end there which is only really helpful to those who at least some what agree which I don't.
ValwinZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If there's fun to be had in Estival Versis, it's rarely the harmless kind.

The person that did this knows this is a video game and is not real right ?

Code:
 it's rarely the harmless kind.

what did Todd Ciolek, mean by this ? who is getting hurt here ? how is this Video game Hurting people ?

now in other countries we got women stone to death i thinks those women are getting hurt for real not the ones in this fictional video game.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I'd agree if reviews and previews often didn't tend to have the author's personal views/bias bleed into them occasionally making it seem like the game or whatever's being talked about is much worse or better than it actually is.

Well, reviews are personal opinions of the reviewer. Because aside from graphics there're not that many aspects of the game you can rate objectively.
TarsTarkas wrote:

Not saying he didn't, it wasn't all that bad though, just another "objectivation is unacceptable" piece.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

TarsTarkas wrote:

Not saying he didn't, it wasn't all that bad though, just another "objectivation is unacceptable" piece.

I think you mean "objectification"; objectivation is some obscure term in physics.

To quote JMS: "You much covertly teach and covertly preach." Overt preaching tends to turn people off.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
I think you mean "objectification"; objectivation is some obscure term in physics.

LOL, I actually wrote it the first time, but then remembered that the term is сексуальная объективация in Russian and changed it to objectivation.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Simple answer why Senran Kagura and Queens Blade get the proverbial shaft from "professionals" like Todd: It's because it's anime and it's actually erotic compared to Western games that tried to do the same. Try popping one while playing Leisure Suit Larry. No wonder Western perceptions think being attracted to 2D is weird. Their art makes them so.
You're killing me.

If you guys rather play Senran Kagura than masturbate to actual hentai, by all means. That said, let someone have an opinion on the topic and back it up with good reasoning.

Oh, if only I get a dollar every time I see this counterargument, I'd buy myself a trip to a soapland.

FYI, condescension is not good reasoning. I shouldn't feel bad about my interests just because someone thinks he's in the authoritative higher ground. Todd was behaving himself just fine in the review, but then he just couldn't help himself to sermon about the ills of video game fanservice because it's relevant to the review how? Other than to boost his moral ego, none.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, if you're going to review anything with Kenichiro Taka's name on it that deals with girls (outside of IA/VT Colorful.....good game, by the way), you should already know what you're getting yourself into. The guy is all about tits and ass and he makes you very well aware of it if you follow him on twitter....I think he even makes it aware in some of his interviews.

Complaining about the fanservice in his games just because you don't feel comfortable about it is just asking you to get bashed on and I don't blame those people who do so. Regardless, his games are fun and entertaining and if you look pass all of the obvious things in them, you got a good time out of them.

Did Todd even touch the versus mode in Senran Kagura: Estival Versus? Outside of the single player campaigns, I believe the game really shines here as it breaks away from the monotonous Dynasty Warriors gameplay and puts you in a more simplified Max Anarchy (or those of you who played the US version.....Anarchy Reigns) versus match. Then you have different modes to choose from but the only one I can recall is the Panty Raid mode (I play the JP version mostly and I'm not done with the US version story mode).

Anyway, I'm still kinda wondering how Marvelous is going to handle the 3 character gap since we're not getting the Ikkitousen characters. Also, why the hell did the NA version get a barebones collectors edition but when you look at the UK they get a HELLA lot more than we do!? That's a bunch of bull, I tell you.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Real gamers don't play Senran Kagura. They play Smash or other pure gameplay games.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
Also, why the hell did the NA version get a barebones collectors edition but when you look at the UK they get a HELLA lot more than we do!? That's a bunch of bull, I tell you.

That's what I've been wondering myself ever since the color-commemorated Special Edition 2DS bundles of Pokémon were debuted in Europe, but not in America. Why the gaming companies are constantly giving their American customers the shaft when it comes to Collector's Edition's, I'll never know. Confused
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Real gamers don't play Senran Kagura. They play Smash or other pure gameplay games.

I don't wanna be "That Guy" but I'm gonna for this case......

What the hell does that even mean? What is a "real gamer"? Describe that to me.

I play Street Fighter, Black Desert Online, Final Fantasy, DriveClub, Smite, Blacklight Retribution, World of Tanks, & a lot of others along with Senran Kagura. What that makes me then or anyone else then?

Yeah, I took the troll bait but I'm hella bored so amuse me for a moment.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
A real gamer focuses on gameplay rather than cheap aesthetics. Aesthetic "games" like Senran Kagura are boring, watered down anime. If I wanted to watch an anime, I'd watch an anime. I want to play a [expletive] game.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
A real gamer focuses on gameplay rather than cheap aesthetics. Aesthetic "games" like Senran Kagura are boring, watered down anime. If I wanted to watch an anime, I'd watch an anime. I want to play a [expletive] game.

Keep in mind that you have all types of "gamers". I rather like Senran Kagura for what it is but that doesn't make it a bad game. Sure, it's a Musou game with LOTS of fanservice but there are people who are okay with that and I'm not alone in it. That doesn't mean we're not "real gamers". We play what we enjoy and we find enjoyment in Senran Kagura. Sure, it's not for you or many others but that doesn't mean you or anyone else have to knock everyone else off that imaginary oh-so-high pedestal we place people on based on the games they play.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Hideki-Motosuwa wrote:
In all honesty, if you're going to review anything with Kenichiro Taka's name on it that deals with girls (outside of IA/VT Colorful.....good game, by the way), you should already know what you're getting yourself into. The guy is all about tits and ass and he makes you very well aware of it if you follow him on twitter....I think he even makes it aware in some of his interviews.

Well it's become socially frowned upon to admit you like or create attractive women in the American gaming scene so that kind of honesty and upfront attitude is pretty rare. If you follow a lot of Japanese developers in interviews or on Twitter they're pretty open and blunt about stuff like this. His "tits are life, ass is hometown" quote has become legendary.

Quote:
What the hell does that even mean? What is a "real gamer"? Describe that to me.

I imagine it's a label used to identify what the average gaming culture is like these days. I imagine to be a real gamer you have to watch streamers on Twitch and YouTube, play all the overhyped AAA games, all the fad indie games, collect Funko Pops, live on Doritos and Mountain Dew, and maybe dabble in D&D or Magic the Gathering on the side. I don't do any of that so I always hesitate to call myself a gamer considering that's what the word means in most media these days and if I ever admit to someone in public I like video games they assume I do all those things.

Smash seems like an odd choice to use though. It's a casual party game and the lengths people have to go to to make it a competitive fighter essentially destroy the entire point of the game. Removing items and dynamic stages pretty much kills the appeal of the game for me.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6