• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rise of the Dark Magical Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Yes, I feel you (maybe?). Having a mahou shoujo anime with authentic yuri element that focused on the main characters instead of the side ones is a dream come true for another yuri fans such as myself. Though, I knew a few things or two about certain title that had the protagonist engaged in some form of same gender relationship, like the aforementioned Yuri Kuma Arashi, and Flip Flappers too, although it is explicitly obvious that those shows are not magical girl anime but instead an experimental titles that focused on the combination of several genres and themes. I would have some faith that the wait might not be too long though, since both yuri and yaoi genre has garnered more or less much exposure lately in several other anime eventhough that its only a partial notification in the whole storyline and subsequently carried small effect if it was altered, as showcased between Sister Nana and Winterprison in Mahou Shoujo Ikusei. There's two upcoming yuri anime called Citrus and NTr, so with the building of the structure in genre expansion already set into motion, the only thing left to do is wait, or make support of your favorite themes.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I'm a little curious why My-HiME, which is an out and out battle royale with magical girls, is okay but others aren't. Not saying it's wrong of you to like that but not others, just seems a little odd.

The answer to that would involve a lot of spoilers.
If you have seen the show just think about how it ends. Also consider that I expected and wanted it to end that way because of my general impression of magical girl shows at that time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:

or just read Y ganma ?
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I don't read manga usually with the exception of One Piece and some locally translated random manga but thanks for the recommendation.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The answer to that would involve a lot of spoilers.
If you have seen the show just think about how it ends. Also consider that I expected and wanted it to end that way because of my general impression of magical girl shows at that time.

Spoilers I can live with; I have seen it.
Honestly, My-HiME is one of the ones where I felt there was more to the journey than there was to the destination. I wasn't terribly impressed with the ending; it felt very copout to me. I expect we'll have to agree to disagree here.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
Guys, you can't just go and say that Madoka doesn't have anything new to bring to the table just because it wasn't the first magical girl series to deal with adult themes. Utena, Princess Tutu, Sailor Moon, none of those shows are even anything like Madoka. Utena isn't even in the same ballpark as Madoka.

Magical Girl Raising Project, Wixoss, Yuki Yuna, that tarot card show, they are all directly inspired by the things that only Madoka did. Not things that Sailor Moon or Utena did that Madoka 'popularised', things that Madoka did on its own. The themes they cover, the moe aesthetic, the untrustworthy fuzzy creatures, the idea that getting into this mess is possibly the worst mistake of the lead character's life rather than a good decision with a few especially rough moments, the list just goes on.

More to the point, Sailor Moon isn't this obscure unknown show. Sure WE didn't get the uncensored version, but Japan did. It's literally one of the most influential anime of all time so the suggestion that a far less popular series 'popularised' something that Sailor Moon already did is quite frankly laughable
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
I'd be down with the whole dark magical girl rise if they weren't 12 year old girls killing each other.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
[In Japan, to be over the age of twelve, let alone male, and watch magical-girl shows is to try and "escape from reality", so the big idea is to try and burst the balloon by bringing in as much harsh reality to de-trope the series as possible, as comment on the whole industry and mindset that's been created. That may be punishing the fans for the crimes of the genre, but given that most Japanese blame the genre FOR the fans (conjuring up easy-target images of closed-window hikkikomori who drool over 2-D cliche'-trope moe-blob girls, presumably because they're deathly afraid of the real flesh-and-blood articles), it's not a distinction that bothers them too much.

This comment could also explain some people similar to me would be fans of earlier "dark" shows like Utena or Princess Tutu, but not be into the darker mahou shoujo titles released recently: anime (and most forms of entertainment in general) can be seen as a means to take a break from the frustrations of the real world.

Yeah, there are times where forms of entertainment need to remind people that not everything is fine and dandy and that there's real world problems as well (and I'm sure most older anime fans are capable of dealing with darker material). However, a show can get too dark, and characters can get too angsty or annoying, for some anime fans to tolerate, especially given the type of character. After all, while some people may be turned off by the darkness in female-oriented shows like Madoka Magica, others enjoy the dark elements that appear in more male-oriented titles like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Spoilers I can live with; I have seen it.

But not everybody has. That is why I avoid spoilers in threads like this.

I agree with what you said about the ending of My HiME and that is one reason why I enjoyed the show.
I was not bothered by what happened because I was expecting that kind of ending.

But things are different now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Guys, you can't just go and say that Madoka doesn't have anything new to bring to the table just because it wasn't the first magical girl series to deal with adult themes. Utena, Princess Tutu, Sailor Moon, none of those shows are even anything like Madoka. Utena isn't even in the same ballpark as Madoka.

Magical Girl Raising Project
, Wixoss, Yuki Yuna, that tarot card show, they are all directly inspired by the things that only Madoka did.

Nope, Raising Project is inspired on Battle Royale, Jojo and Dangan Ronpa with magical girls with influence from western comics.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I'd be down with the whole dark magical girl rise if they weren't 12 year old girls killing each other.

In Magical Girl Raising Project, the characters are representations of their avatars. Some are adults, some aren't.

I think the reason people like these shows is simple: Most magical girls are too goody-goody. It's a welcome change to watch them do something bad (Admit it, at some point you wanted Sailor Moon to actually kill someone". In truth, it's just a cycle that every genre goes through. We saw the same thing happen to tthe mecha genre In the 90's when Evangelion came along, but then it just took the right show (Gurre Lagann) to balance the dark and fun side together. While not traditional magical girl, it looks like the Little Witch Academia series could be a big deal.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Magical Girl Raising Project, Wixoss, Yuki Yuna, that tarot card show, they are all directly inspired by the things that only Madoka did. Not things that Sailor Moon or Utena did that Madoka 'popularised', things that Madoka did on its own. The themes they cover, the moe aesthetic, the untrustworthy fuzzy creatures, the idea that getting into this mess is possibly the worst mistake of the lead character's life rather than a good decision with a few especially rough moments, the list just goes on.

More to the point, Sailor Moon isn't this obscure unknown show. Sure WE didn't get the uncensored version, but Japan did. It's literally one of the most influential anime of all time so the suggestion that a far less popular series 'popularised' something that Sailor Moon already did is quite frankly laughable

We're pointing these out because they weren't listed in the article and completely ignored by content made by men for men. Bad mascots pop up in magical girl stories. Moe is not a "theme" the plot deals with, and main characters make mistakes all the time, especially in the case of Utena, a lot where they're constantly regretting picking up whatever magical item they made contact wit. I'm still waiting to hear what Madoka brought outside of targeting men late night with upped violence, but so far I'm seeing nothing. It just regurgitated magical girl themes that have always been there without the limit of daytime censors and a bigger budget shows that target the female gender rarely ever see.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear what Madoka brought outside of targeting men late night with upped violence, but so far I'm seeing nothing. It just regurgitated magical girl themes that have always been there without the limit of daytime censors and a bigger budget shows that target the female gender rarely ever see.

got it in one, imo.

Madoka drives me insane because it not only doesn't do anything new in terms of being a magical girl story but it isn't particularly anything new or interesting as an Urobuchi Gen story or even an original anime story period. Everything in Madoka is something I've seen before elsewhere and done better. Madoka's presentation and framing of these things is stylish and original, true, but it doesn't change the fact that the story and its tropes are all kind of tired and trodden.

Madoka isn't the Worst Shit Ever but i definitely think we need to call the show out for what it is and stop acting like it changed the face of the magical girl genre for better or worse. It spawned some imitators and got some otaku talking but its realm of influence is actually a lot smaller than it seems.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I wish there was more Magical Girl shows like Cutie Honey and Kill La Kill, it just seems like what a Magic Girl should be. Girls who transform and fight, now i know that's not to everyones liking, but they could at least do with a few more. I've never been much into the power of friendship stuff or the dark deconstruction.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Madoka drives me insane because it not only doesn't do anything new in terms of being a magical girl story but it isn't particularly anything new or interesting as an Urobuchi Gen story or even an original anime story period. Everything in Madoka is something I've seen before elsewhere and done better.

Oh, lord. We have another one of these smug, "too cool for school" types who is so eager to assure those of us who who loved Madoka that we are wrong. Yeah, maybe none of its elements were new. I have no idea because I am not exhaustively familiar with magical girl shows. One of the impressive achievements of Madoka is that it attracted a huge fanbase that didn't necessarily normally watch magical girl shows and ended up enthralling us. No doubt being the sophisticated expert of magical girl shows that you are, you yawned in weary tedium at the huge reveal that Madoka contains. Oh, you've seen that kind of thing a zillion times before, and seen it done so much better, right? Sucks to be you I guess, because I loved it and it will remain one of the most memorable anime moments I've experienced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7