• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are High School Jobs Not Allowed In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
You know, we let poor students have a baito when they need it. We're not monsters. Even if the student doesn't have a very good behavior, we are very aware that his/her family counts on his/her pay to survive.
genkisakurachan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Though by and large this is true, there are always exceptions. A high school I taught at as an assistant English teacher definitely had no problem with the students having after-school jobs. I even remember a teacher telling me that two of the senior girls were working at the McDonalds in the big AEON shopping center a few blocks from the school and that I should go visit them sometime, so the faculty sure knew about it and approved of it.

This may have been a more laid-back school than most, considering other things like how they also had a uniform-optional policy, for example. Easily 90% of the students did choose to dress in the uniform, but most classes had a student or two in street clothes (plus lots of kids wearing non-regulation sweaters or lap blankets).
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
In Brazil nobody I studied with worked in part time jobs. The reason was that most people that I knew were from middle and upper class families so given the super low wages they get for unskilled labor in Brazil nobody would want to work for these jobs. So my impression was the inverse since its common in many series and manga for the characters to work part time, for instance in Mob Psycho 100 or in Kobato, the last 2 series I was wafching, in both cases I saw examples of students working part time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Different culture and traditions. Sure the Japanese look at the American school system and think about all the choice words they could say about it too.

Why this difference? There should only be one single, unified, global standard.

These schools have no right to dictate what students do outside of school. NONE! How and why do Japanese people put up with this authoritarian crap? HOW? They're not supposed to!
loka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Well, another question that ultimately can be answered with "culture differences". Not that it is bad to ask things like this, I'm just pointing the obvious.

"Culture differences" is a non-answer.
There was logic behind the rule. The questioner was asking for that reasoning. Not conjecture, either.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Different culture and traditions. Sure the Japanese look at the American school system and think about all the choice words they could say about it too.

Why this difference? There should only be one single, unified, global standard.

These schools have no right to dictate what students do outside of school. NONE! How and why do Japanese people put up with this authoritarian crap? HOW? They're not supposed to!

Most nations on this Earth, have their own culture and traditions. The world would be a boring place, if there was one single, unified, global standard.

In answer to your question though, the answer is quite easy. They were raised that way.

And as I said before, I sure the Japanese don't think too highly of the America school system too.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Whatever. I'll make sure to never pointed that out again because I was meaning to make it as a joke but it clearly failed.
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Uniting under one culture, just like that? Sure, let's just believe that someone like me, a person from southeast Asia, can easily be warped into the common lives of someone that lived in the Artic. That sort of unity would only reserved for an utopia. Your post belittles so much that it make me somewhat angry.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Confucian ideals, for one. The teacher-student relationship is just a variant of boss-employee, parent-child, sempai-kouhai and any other situation where one has a higher rank over the other. You do as you are told and deliberately refusing to do so brings both shame to the individual and the group, and in countries like Japan where the group is far more important you can restrict extracurricular behavior successfully. All those stories of overworked employees and mandatory drinking parties don't happen for no reason.

/Yugioh did the baito dilemma best, I think
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Most nations on this Earth, have their own culture and traditions. The world would be a boring place, if there was one single, unified, global standard.

In answer to your question though, the answer is quite easy. They were raised that way.

And as I said before, I sure the Japanese don't think too highly of the America school system too.
Afezeria wrote:
Uniting under one culture, just like that? Sure, let's just believe that someone like me, a person from southeast Asia, can easily be warped into the common lives of someone that lived in the Artic. That sort of unity would only reserved for an utopia. Your post belittles so much that it make me somewhat angry.

I think that statement was sarcastic. I don't know if it's the same Clyde Cash who messed with the Sonichu author relentlessly, or just named after him, but the name should give a baseline once you know who he is.

Joe Mello wrote:

Confucian ideals, for one. The teacher-student relationship is just a variant of boss-employee, parent-child, sempai-kouhai and any other situation where one has a higher rank over the other. You do as you are told and deliberately refusing to do so brings both shame to the individual and the group, and in countries like Japan where the group is far more important you can restrict extracurricular behavior successfully. All those stories of overworked employees and mandatory drinking parties don't happen for no reason.

It sounds like such a fragile system. All it takes are several people within a group who want to bring shame upon the group with no concern for the shame upon themselves and the whole thing will collapse. I feel that is the case with American schools: They all have enough Calvins and Bart Simpsons in them that school administrators must work around them rather than through them. (Well, that and we have many choice words in English, some of them vulgar, to describe obedient people.)

I mentioned it earlier, but I'm guessing Japanese delinquents purposely dress in their school uniforms, only modified in some way, to mock them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It sounds like such a fragile system. All it takes are several people within a group who want to bring shame upon the group with no concern for the shame upon themselves and the whole thing will collapse.

That is the tricky part, from what I have seen in animes, unless you are a special case, most people must pay for the consequence of their actions. In example, in last year Lostorage incited WIXOSS, Chinatsu had a fight in school and since she landed the first (physcial) blow she had to apologize, but she did not and her homeroom teacher pressured her boss to fire her from her part time job knowing beforehand that Chinatsu would not be able to continue to pay for school without that income (and transfering schools would no doubt hurt her chances of going to a good college). This events of course are fiction, but I think it is rooted on what most people in japan know about how their society works.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
If they don't have a job though, then the most the school can do is suspend or expel them, maybe shame their families, which is exactly what these delinquents would want anyway. It causes a real conundrum on behalf of the people in charge: The system assumes people don't want to be shamed. But how does it deal with people who want to bring shame to the system while happily accepting all the shame given to themselves? This is a question my school district has grappled with ever since I was in school, and to this day, they still don't have a good answer.

The miscreants I've known when I was a teenager who did have jobs kept their work lives far, far away from their school lives, but that's because they're scared that another miscreant they know will see them at work because they're trying to make an honest living. I guess they get shamed by totally different things.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
If they don't have a job though, then the most the school can do is suspend or expel them,

Here I think is the root of the difference, you talk nonchalantly about suspension or expulsion, since I am sure in the USA most employers only care about what high school or college you got your diploma and what were your grades. Unless you got into something criminal most employers simply do not care about those kind of things "boys will be boys" they will say about any such things.

In japan it is quite different from what I understand, but sadly the only non-fiction comment is tangentially related. My japanese teacher (a japanese woman) said that in japan many couples do not divorce because that would affect the chances their kids have to get into a good elementary, middle, high school and college. Once all their kids get into a stable work enviroment they can't divorce since that would affect their chances of getting a promotion inside the company. So couple end up divorcing when their "kids" have moved up in the company ranks (say, if their kids are in their 40s they are in their 60s) which imo is way sad since at that age they should be supporting each other in ther "golden years".

Of course this might have changed a little nowadays that people do not have a 100% chance of working for life in one company, but chances are any new company might not hire people that were suspended or expelled, even if that happened in elementary school. IMO that is why in japan people in japan hide their secrets zealously, because the consequences can quite real.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

You did not do your quotes right. I wasn't the one that made the above statement.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Clyde Cash wiki.
Uh, I don't really understand. Is it a webcomic? Nevermind, I should give it some read and thanks for the information. [/u]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember back when I was going to high school in the 90s, students who were sixteen years of age were only allowed to work a part-time job after school if they had applied for a work permit so the workplace and the high school know that that student was obligating themselves to both. It's too bad Japan can't do the same or allow it on similar grounds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5