• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Collector's Ultra Edition Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The thing that gets me about Wing more than the overall rushed plot that people tend to focus on is how even comparatively minor things don't make any sense. Like nobody ever stops to ask how it is that Treize, a man who we are otherwise never shown to have great technical expertise, somehow builds the tied-for-strongest Gundam in the series all by himself while under house arrest. Which is only a little sillier than Quatre building the other tied-for-strongest Gundam in the series all by himself after he just kinda finds the plans for it on an old hard drive or something. It took the guys who literally invented the mobile suit and who had the backing of a clandestine rebel organization something like fifteen years to build the original five Gundams, but it took Treize a few weeks to throw a better one together in his garage without the government ever noticing that he was doing it.

I don't understand the love people have for Endless Waltz, which is just a poorly plotted fanfic with excellent production values. And I felt that way even at the height of my fandom, which was a decidedly long time ago at this point. I was a huge Gundam fan as a teenager and I guess I still consider myself one now, but more and more I find that I don't actually like any of these shows anymore.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I think the artwork is better than a C. The designs are a nice throw back to the older shows, and environments were looked nice. I agree on the animation, it definitely is a lot worse than other mocha shows of the time.

well it showed in the 90's. what did anyone expected? the blue ray version wasn't going to improve the artwork by a longshot!

also how is the dub and sub versions sharp, but both got a C+? sure they leave something to be desired, but that was the case for all anime series back in the 90's and this series is NO exception.

also none of them unfortunately , and in especially GW's case have the same standards or popularity as say sailor moon or escaflowne to get a new english dub version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I think the artwork is better than a C. The designs are a nice throw back to the older shows, and environments were looked nice. I agree on the animation, it definitely is a lot worse than other mocha shows of the time.

well it showed in the 90's. what did anyone expected? the blue ray version wasn't going to improve the artwork by a longshot!
I don't mean throw back, as in it looks like a 90s show, because that wouldn't be a throw back. I mean a throw back to the older Gundam style. Something like 08th MS Team and X, look a bit more modernised in comparison.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Kira Yamato, his Canadian VA (Matt Hill) turned the big 5-0 on 1/19. Happy related b-day!
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:

I don't understand the love people have for Endless Waltz, which is just a poorly plotted fanfic with excellent production values.

Funnily enough from what I heard the screenwriter of Wing actually hated Endless Waltz and said something like "Not in my series" when he saw it.
Jeyl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
I don't understand the love people have for Endless Waltz, which is just a poorly plotted fanfic with excellent production values.

I loved it because it was simple and didn't glorify how awesome the pilots were, unlike the series. Plus seeing the Gundams bring down mobile units without killing the pilots is kind of how I felt they should have been doing things this entire time.

And despite how anti-climactic it may have been, I LOVED how they treated Wing Zero Custom. Going from slick and clean the moment it starts up to charred and torn apart at the end was very refreshing. I especially liked how it was damaged to the point that using the twin buster rifle actually caused even more damage to it.

And Noin is always fun to watch.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Funnily enough from what I heard the screenwriter of Wing actually hated Endless Waltz and said something like "Not in my series" when he saw it.

Endless Waltz was written by Katsuyuki Sumisawa, the exact same fellow who wrote the TV series: person#9001 So that is a completely baseless and nonsensical rumor.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Jeyl wrote:
zaphdash wrote:

I loved it because it was simple and didn't glorify how awesome the pilots were, unlike the series. Plus seeing the Gundams bring down mobile units without killing the pilots is kind of how I felt they should have been doing things this entire time.

And despite how anti-climactic it may have been, I LOVED how they treated Wing Zero Custom. Going from slick and clean the moment it starts up to charred and torn apart at the end was very refreshing. I especially liked how it was damaged to the point that using the twin buster rifle actually caused even more damage to it.

And Noin is always fun to watch.

I like it for at least giving a Char Clone a positive ending.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

That's because Zechs isn't a selfish sociopath like Char was but a pretty noble guy and thus deserved a happy ending as much as the Gundam pilots.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I don't remember much, but I do remember watching Gundam Wing as a kid & thinking "why do they let these whiny kids pilot the cool robots?"

Come on the only whiny ones were Quattre and Duo Razz

belvadeer wrote:

I'm well aware of the criticisms toward IBO's second season, as I have watched all of it subbed previously (and watching the dub on Toonami currently). However, I don't completely share all of those criticisms as everyone sees the second season quite differently. It's not Kudelia's fault that spoiler[she got sidelined as a baby-maker for Mikazuki]

And comically enough despite the show jokingly beating us over the head with that, they don't even give a pay-off to that.

xchampion wrote:
Only people with nostalgia filled glasses say this is one of the better Gundam series when it's plainly just average.

Eh you can pretty much make the same argument about OG Gundam, 0080, and G.

Zeino wrote:

That's because Zechs isn't a selfish sociopath like Char was but a pretty noble guy and thus deserved a happy ending as much as the Gundam pilots.

Even though he isn't earth still winds up nearly getting hit with a meteor in the final episode an act that Zech's was still implicit in.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Speaking of Kira Yamato, his Canadian VA (Matt Hill) turned the big 5-0 on 1/19. Happy related b-day!

too true. though its more or less a mood point now since it looking like more and more that the well known gundam ocean group dub VAs have moved on from voice actng.

and speaking of which, just remembered that another of the old gundam ocean group dub VA have a birthday later this month, cant remember who it was though.

regardless, i'm more surprised that any of the dub cast from wing and endless waltz have gotten any other roles after their series ended.

i guess they pretty much ended up going down the same road as the tenchi ova and the hellsing tv dub cast (excluding freeman) where they had only been used in one series and nothing else for the rest of their careers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:20 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

Well to be fair Char has become basically a spoiler[ Newtype force ghost] at the end of Unicorn along with spoiler[Amuro and Lalah]. So I guess he does get sort of a positive ending at the end of that finally being at peace.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

char was anything but a sociopath. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

sure he went off the deep end due to the events of the first neo zeon war, but a sociopath?! hardly! the only char clone that fits that category is Gundam SEED's Raul La Crusade HANDS DOWN!!!

though at least zech's ending was more suitable for the character,though he got that ending via the endless waltz movie and didn't get the short end of a stick (looking at you 00 movie) or didn't had a very anticlimactic reverse char like ending (looking at you IBO S2)
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Zeino wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

char was anything but a sociopath. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

sure he went off the deep end due to the events of the first neo zeon war, but a sociopath?! hardly! the only char clone that fits that category is Gundam SEED's Raul La Crusade HANDS DOWN!!!

though at least zech's ending was more suitable for the character,though he got that ending via the endless waltz movie and didn't get the short end of a stick (looking at you 00 movie) or didn't had a very anticlimactic reverse char like ending (looking at you IBO S2)

I think they base all that off of Char's various backstabbings and dirty dealings he does in Origin and the original show. Though Origin plays his ruthless side up pretty much through the roof. Rau on the other hand is a psycho nuts nihilist. And I still can't get over IBO S2's treatment of McGillis, he could of been brilliant and then that show had to ruin him by making him a superstitious man child who needs only MUH BAEL!
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

I think they base all that off of Char's various backstabbings and dirty dealings he does in Origin and the original show. Though Origin plays his ruthless side up pretty much through the roof. Rau on the other hand is a psycho nuts nihilist. And I still can't get over IBO S2's treatment of McGillis, he could of been brilliant and then that show had to ruin him by making him a superstitious man child who needs only MUH BAEL!

its one of many reasons why i didn't even bother watching the english dub version on toonami because of god awful season two was. while 00 S2 & SEED Destiny was bad, but IBO S2 have to be the worst for the entire franchise.

and then that infamous pet peeve storyline of having nearly if not all of the main players die aka "KILL EM ALL TOMINO STYLE!!!!" was more or less the final nail in the coffin. hopefully just like with akame ga kill, its manga version that kodansha is releasing will be A WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT than the anime version!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4