• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
New Season (Episode 12)

And we are back, and it's still the same show. My overall opinion hasn't changed (this is a potentially great show, dragged down by its completely unnecessary isekai component). With the isekai stuff moving to ridiculously overpowered protags, it's nice to have a show where the lead's special abilities don't give him the power to just run roughshod over the world he's in.

Still, the "oops, just missed them" stuff with Roxy's party is dumb, and totally unnecessary.
Kibako

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Still, the "oops, just missed them" stuff with Roxy's party is dumb, and totally unnecessary.

It's even more than just "necessary" though. It's not just coincident that they barely missed each other spoiler[because they being together is 'fate' and 'someone' tried to prevent that 'fate' from happening. Still this won't be explained until like, season 3, if it'll ever be made.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:04 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (season finale)

Same old story with the second season as with the first. Some stuff is fantastic, and in many other cases I would probably rave about this show when it is at its best, such as how it can be creative in the not doing opening songs but instead focusing on atmosphere. But whenever you get too comfortable with this show you get something that is completely unnecessarily creepy. Good for the people unaffected by the sort of stuff, but I am completly taken out of it when Rudy is trying to act as a hero, but decides to wear woman's laundry/underwear on his face and intentionally breath it in, because of course he has to do that. This series really can't help itself to be great, and then ruin it.

I was watching this last episode and expecting something to ruin things, and nothing really did anything wrong beyond the whole kid sex thing that happened last episode. It really isn't that I am being a prude, like indeed I could probably enjoy things like that one slutty elf character in Roxy's party, someone sexually liberated, but something about it just makes me uncomfortable. I kind of think a part could be how it sort of was used to violate Roxy in exposed to her, which kind of gives me this feeling of the show still trying to have its cake and eat it too in terms sexuality and innocent waifu. Can I also mention the whole thing with Roxy's student, where it again feels like the series isn't so bad having a character be ridiculously to Roxy, to make how it otherwise treats her as not so bad. Mentioning the whole figure thing, which apparently was made and sold with detachable clothes on Rudy's part.

My rating is again Good (7/10), where I want to say it as one of the shows to watch, but still can't help itself. Perhaps going into a third season it would finally improve from those things, or they would stop bothering me, who knows.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
In the world Rudeus now inhabits people were often considered adults at fifteen or so. (Lifespans were much shorter then.) I imagine that's why they chose that age when they pledged to each other earlier.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
Jobless Reincarnation II, Episodes 0 & 1

Well, it was great to see what's going on with Sylphiette finally or Fitz as she is now known. No doubt the main story will go back to ignoring her because, hey... why not? Rolling Eyes

I'm glad they didn't drag Rudeus being a morose little bitch longer than a single episode. That would have been hard to take. He's probably my least favourite protag in a series that I otherwise like a fair amount so it doesn't take much for him to get on my nerves. Anyway, it's nice to be back in this particular world even if Rudeus is in it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Oh, ffs. This show has a positive genius for pissing me off. I do give it props for bringing up a topic I don't think I've ever seen dealt with in anime before: impotence. However, I would really LOVE not to be confronted with the sexual problems of a character who looks and sounds like a young teenage boy. He's literally still in short pants, for Christ's sake. But that's the way the pedo author of the LNs wanted it, so we're stuck with it. And of course, Sara joins the ever growing list of characters the title introduces only to basically abandon except for brief return cameos now and then. Sylphiette, Roxy, Rudeus's family, Eris, that superd guy, blah, blah, blah. The only constant character is Rudeus, a whiny tosser. Let him kill himself, Soldat! I want a new MC.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:11 am Reply with quote
Ew, I like him for how faulty he is as a mc. He has his cool moments and yet also plenty of annoying or disappointing ones. As for the pedo author, it stays that way, I would say that it gets less of a thing later on, but it never goes away completely.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:26 am Reply with quote
I could stomach Rudeus more if they simply aged him up so that he looked and sounded like a guy in his early twenties. But of course then the author couldn't get his jollies, so that will never happen.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:07 am Reply with quote
the story follows him through his entire life. he'll be older eventually. just relax
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:44 am Reply with quote
Good. I'm quite done with Inappropriately Young Rudeus. Can't wait until he actually looks and sounds like an adult.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:55 am Reply with quote
Blood you speak my mind.

Rudeus is annoying af. I get that he is supposed to mentally be an emotionally castrated adult but the show is utterly inconsistent about it. He doesn’t just return to being closed off, he goes all the way back to navel gazing as a 12 year old.

The constant cycling of the other characters is annoying.

And if he was 30? Before his death, and he em every everything, he’d now be like 44 mentally. Even accounting for his excessive emotional delays he would think and act more consistently adult. But he acts and talks like a 10-12 year old even in his internal monologue far too often. One second he had adult understanding then it just evaporates even when the scene doesn’t justify it. The creator either needed to age him up faster or kill him younger so it made more sense.

Aside from being tsundere the women around him all seem to think and function at higher
Levels. But they still eventually glom onto him. The question becomes why. He is a childish perv who doesn’t grow or continually reverts. It’s a weakness of the script.

I want to like this show but it’s kinda a torture to see an MC that isn’t just screwed up but that they engineer to keep cycling perpetually.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
[pedophilia] -> [slavery] -> [anything else from Mushoku Tensei] = [public outrage!]

I just deleted 48 posts in the Talkback thread and reduced it from 19 pages to 15.

So many people I've seen on this site seem to really hate the show, but it still ranks fairly high in terms of ratings, both, here and on MAL. It feels like such a paradox that a show that causes this much outrage can be so popular.

I speed-binged-watched S1 for the first time during my trip, last month, and am caught up to the most current episode. While the verdict on Rudy's character is still pending, the fantasy world itself is pretty cool, and the production value is legit. I honestly don't even pay attention to Rudy outside of him fighting stuff. That's how deep the world-building feels to me.

I avoided the show for the longest time because of the harem label that was attached. I don't even think it's that harem-y. It's definitely ecchi, though. Rudy's sleaze can be off-putting, but at least he saved some lives here and there and is trying to be less sleazy as he gets older. I don't think I've ever felt so neutral about a character. It's usually one way or the other. Maybe the "Grey" in his namesake was on purpose?
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:05 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
So many people I've seen on this site seem to really hate the show, but it still ranks fairly high in terms of ratings, both, here and on MAL. It feels like such a paradox that a show that causes this much outrage can be so popular.

Given that some of the comments from the other thread point out that, no Rudy does NOT improve as a person when it comes to his questionable sexual actions and behaviours (I'm familiar with the LN and the directions it goes in so I can fill in the blanks) and the narrative never treats those behaviors as morally questionable in the first place, which in turn can be viewed as, at least, a soft endorsement of them. The bolded should by all rights be viewed as very alarming. Given that it's not, and just sort of shrugged, is part of the underlying problem.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:32 am Reply with quote
So does it turn out like Game of Thrones, where it's just a bunch of characters in a rough, morally questionable world, and nobody is necessarily good or bad? That's kinda' the vibe I was getting, so far. I'm not routing for anyone in particular. Rudy doesn't even feel like a main character, to me. But I guess he's supposed to be, because he's the first one we saw, and most of the story is from his perspective.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
In the end I agree that MT has some bones of a great story and a high production value and support and so much is wasted because it’s insistent need to fetishize everything. I can think of so many shows that need the money or support or second season that MT got instead.

But MT is so full of potential. While I hated what happened to GOT in
The last 3 seasons (should have stayed true to the novels but…okay we all know why). I wish the opposite for MT. Break away from the LN vision and decide to make a real story with character development and a growth arc rather than a cheap excuse for perv Rudy and his growing Harem. We already have Smart Phone…we didn’t need Smart Phone Delux.

But I lose this fight. It will be what it is and enough people will still prefer the fan service over story quality that there won’t be a reason to change. Ah well life goes on and College Football season is about to return so I’ll survive the disappointment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5