• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Case Study of Vanitas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed those investigation episodes despite how quick the arc(?) was. We got a lot more information on the overarching mystery aspect of Vanitas' story (I was very on the fence with Ruthven's intent from the start and tbh I still kind of am), even more world-building (which feels way less "throw everything at the wall and try to keep up" as it did in the earliest episodes), new questions (Vanitas's childhood with that woman and other child and/or "Father"??), plus the growth with our main duo's friendship. And the pacing felt pretty on-point in my eyes with three episodes, even if manga readers may or may not disagree. Really curious where exactly the story is going to head from here, to another case of a similar manner to wrap up the cour perhaps?

Also for what its worth, I checked out the dub as well (Eps 1 - 4) and I think its definitely a solid adaptation and I'm especially a fan of the lead casting choices! Stephen Fu definitely brings that “innocent, curious + good-natured” vibe to Noe, maybe even more so than I noticed with the sub right off the bat, while Zeno Robinson’s Vanitas has that “cocky bravado + chaotic immaturity” in spades. The latter’s voice was higher pitched than I expected (at times only seeming a step or two away from Goh even in Pokemon Journeys), but overall I think it works. And all the supporting players (Dominique, Jeanne, Luca, etc...) sound on point from what we've heard so far. To be honest, I think the only voice I’m not sold on so far was probably young Noe’s. There have been some really awkward reads in his flashback scenes that took me out of the moment and didn’t sound very convincing. I sincerely hope they and the director are able to really work together for Ep 5 where they're featured more prominently.

On the writing side, I do think the script did a great job of capturing the almost flower-y language we hear with the (admittedly very well-done) subtitles. Plus I’m not surprised, but glad all the same, that they kept all the French idioms/addresses. I heard a couple more modern-sounding expressions here and there for effect, but nothing that sounded too wildly out of place. And while there were a couple awkward mid-sentence pauses here and there in the premiere, given how theatrical certain scenes can be I’m not shocked and I noticed them getting even more ironed out as the writer got/continues to be better acquainted with the show’s style.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't know the mangaka's experience but mixing comedy and romance so much was amazing considering the demographic.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But he's also Luca's de facto guardian, so it wouldn't have been hard for him to slip a word in Jeanne's ear about when to invite Vanitas out – assuming that he doesn't have some sort of mind control power to use on her.

Considering the episode hinted that Jeanne may have be forcibly forbidden to speak about whatever's going on with her + her past "employment" with Ruthven, him having some sort of control over her is seeming more and more likely.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
Well, the first cour covered more of the manga than I expected. I thought what was Episode 10 would be the perfect stopping point for the anime's first season and they'd saved Vanitas and Jeanne's date, Noe's meeting with Ruthven and the lead in into the Beast of Gévaudan arc for the next cour but I suppose ending on a cliffhanger will help raise curiosity enough to get people to keep watching in January.

At least now, the upcoming arc is going to feel fittingly seasonal in more ways than one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4