• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces Nominees for 6th Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMonika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:17 pm Reply with quote
My favorite opening of the year was a toss between Vivy, Dragon Maid and Kageki Shojo. I almost said Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club but realized the first season was 2020. I just recently watched it because they finally got around to dubbing it, lol
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the funniest part of all the people with “this isn’t a true fan vote” pearl clutching is that they’re also the reason it isn’t. The first Crunchyroll awards were, and Yuri on Ice swept every category it was in. You can look back in this very forum and see some of the same voices here condemning that there wasn’t anything to blunt fan votes. Crunchyroll then changed how their voting works to prevent that from happening again, only to meet the same complaints every year. In the end it’s clear that to some people the system used doesn’t matter, and the thing they’re upset about is learning that what they perceive as the truth of anime fandom doesn’t actually line up with reality. Which is why you’ll see votes from different communities pulled out as representative of “true” fandom, rather than admit that those different communities simply represent themselves as well and not the entire ecosystem.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Honestly the funniest part of all the people with “this isn’t a true fan vote” pearl clutching is that they’re also the reason it isn’t. The first Crunchyroll awards were, and Yuri on Ice swept every category it was in. You can look back in this very forum and see some of the same voices here condemning that there wasn’t anything to blunt fan votes. Crunchyroll then changed how their voting works to prevent that from happening again, only to meet the same complaints every year. In the end it’s clear that to some people the system used doesn’t matter, and the thing they’re upset about is learning that what they perceive as the truth of anime fandom doesn’t actually line up with reality. Which is why you’ll see votes from different communities pulled out as representative of “true” fandom, rather than admit that those different communities simply represent themselves as well and not the entire ecosystem.

I never had a problem with the fan votes, or with Yuri on Ice winning a lot (it was a great show). I was a bit more concerned that people seemed to be mad that a show with LGBTQ+ representation and respectful discussion of mental health was winning. It seemed to be an attack on the people who found personal healing from the show.

In my honest opinion, Pretty Cure really deserves that winning spot as it’s about girls chasing their dreams and supporting each other, enjoying life and also saving the world. That’s a message more people need to see. I’d rather have the fan votes back so I can vote for what truly resonated with my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I just want a limit on the amount of nominations a show can get, like 5 max. We might see more shows get nominated and the categories they get would better fit rather than putting them in any category that applies (Odd taxi for comedy; Eren for both best protag and antag; tokyo revengers with two nominees for best boy)

And that CR learned the difference between a villain and an antagonist. I still remember the time they nominated Ainz (Overlord) for best antagonist. This years nominees aren't as dumb but Eren can't be both and Echidna is questionable. Roswal makes more sense, at least IMO.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The only thing about the nominees this year that made me irate is JJK being nominated for AOTY for the second year in a row when it's for a season that came out last f#%*ing year. Last year it didn't make any sense to me when it was nominated for AOTY even though the show hadn't even finished airing both cours yet. Like KitKat1721 recommended they should relegate two-cour shows to the year they finish or implement a rule disallowing a second nomination for the same season.

Aside from that I'm not surprised to see Mushoku Tensei get only 2 nominations despite being one of the most acclaimed and talked about shows of the year. And Re:Zero get's only one nomination? C'mon.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I've never really minded how the jury vs fandom split works in recent years. Even if I have nitpicks or shows that I think got overlooked (most of which I commented on already), judges choosing nominees is far and away a better method than a 100% public nomination process. Same thing with the 70/30 voting split for the winners.

My issues with CR awards have always been more rule-based + the judging pool itself (both of which I think keeps improving over the years anyway). I have no doubt the team tries to make changes each year to improve (which is why we see some categories come and go occasionally) and hopefully one day if they continue they'll find a consistent place to be. As far as the latter: sure its always a bit annoying to see like, an influencer/youtuber who has said they don't even watch anime anymore be on the judging pool, but I keep seeing better and better names added to the list and more industry & professional diversity.

So yes, I think if the public sees aspects they don't like about the awards, speak up! But don't just say its a rigged, broken system entirely because your favorite show didn't get enough nominations or whatever. The CR jury not liking your favorites doesn't invalidate them in the slightest. I was really disappointed in the judges about Heike Story, and I voted for Sonny Boy in AOTY because my top three (Fruits Basket, Megalobox & Heike) weren't nominated at all + Ranking of Kings hasn't ended - but its okay. Its just an awards show, and one I don't want to go back to when only one hot show dominated over everything else.

For what its worth, I still think the way Reddit's award nominees are decided is probably the best I've seen: half the nominees are public votes, half the nominees are chosen by a jury that actually wants to be in specific categories (like if you're an animation buff you can just be in that jury; or you just want to watch the comedy series, you can be in that genre, etc...). Plus they talk to each other and discuss the different shows so hidden gems aren't just one person voting for it on spreadsheet and being ignored. And even then I'm sure if I pulled up the nominee list from them right now, I'm bound to find something I dislike/a snub/whatever. That's just the nature of practically any media-based awards.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I never had a problem with the fan votes, or with Yuri on Ice winning a lot (it was a great show

Yuri on Ice winning was a no brainer since it was the most popular series out there when it came out. I'm sure some people complained that their favorite didn't win, but for someone to try to paint it as any kind of majority seems unfounded given it was also the best selling and discussed anime of the year. The claim that the exact same people who did complain are also the ones complaining now also seems completely unfounded, unless they have list on hand and links to their posts back when the winners were announced.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

The voting system isn't the problem. The problem is that the nominees are poorly thought-out. There's no reason for any show, no matter how popular or critically acclaimed, should be showing up more than 10 times, and there's no reason for any show to get 2 nominations in the same category. A different voting system wouldn't change these problems, and for the most part I think how they've done it is probably better than how it originally started out. Variety is the spice of life, but it's hard to get the feeling that the judges that decided on these nominations feel the same way.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
One thing I'm glad to see back which no one else in this thread has brought up yet is the best film section which that seems like it was missing the last few years for some reason.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:43 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
My point still stands that both shows were nominated in multiple categories and disproves the theory this is all a “fraud” or because of a sinister conspiracy plot. It’s a popularity contest. We have this same discourse about it every year.

I was talking about AOTY, other categories are for fun.
The awards are a marketing event to promote crunchyroll. The objective is to have in AOTY category the most popular shows to generate coverage (SnK and JJK are at least 10 times more popular then the others) and a ratio of crunchyroll's shows above 4/6, to show their subscribers they have subscribed to the best streaming platform. All they had to do is set up the selection process to reach this goal, the jury is not really relevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4