• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yaoi Paddle Kickstarter Aims to Revitalize Anime Fandom History

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HKurogane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Had to login to join in on this conversation.

I've been attending cons since the year 2000's in the state of CA. I would see these all the time and never had anyone hit or try to hit me personally. Maybe I just never noticed random strangers getting hit by them? It's very likely. I'm just surprised to hear people did this kind of thing.

Also to this post people

Lady Multi wrote:
Nothing says like showing your love for something like sending someone else to the hospital.

DON'T BUY THESE! And if you don't DO NOT TAKE THEM TO CONVENTIONS!. Most Conventions have these in Banned props due to incidents in the past that involved people being SERIOUSLY INJURED!

Someone was put into a Wheelchair because of these. Reviving these are very very VERY bad idea..

Only buy them or support the Kickstarter if you want to get sent to jail for assaulting someone with a paddle like the person who crushed someone's tailbone >.<.

EDIT: honestly, I'm REALLY disappointed in ANN for not even mentioning this history in the article you know the whole.. SENT TO PRISION FOR ASSAULTING SOMEONE with a paddle as a joke thing.

Not that I'm skeptical about this but genuinely curious of how it works, how did someone get put into a wheelchair by one of these?
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:29 pm Reply with quote
And, IT'S GONE...!!!

The original creator got them shut down as of now.

""RETURN OF THE YAOI PADDLE! is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.
If you are interested in this project, please check back later. Thanks for your patience.""
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:41 pm Reply with quote
#HKurogane wrote:

I've been attending cons since the year 2000's in the state of CA. I would see these all the time and never had anyone hit or try to hit me personally. Maybe I just never noticed random strangers getting hit by them? It's very likely. I'm just surprised to hear people did this kind of thing.

Also to this post people

Lady Multi wrote:
Nothing says like showing your love for something like sending someone else to the hospital.

DON'T BUY THESE! And if you don't DO NOT TAKE THEM TO CONVENTIONS!. Most Conventions have these in Banned props due to incidents in the past that involved people being SERIOUSLY INJURED!

Someone was put into a Wheelchair because of these. Reviving these are very very VERY bad idea..

Only buy them or support the Kickstarter if you want to get sent to jail for assaulting someone with a paddle like the person who crushed someone's tailbone >.<.

EDIT: honestly, I'm REALLY disappointed in ANN for not even mentioning this history in the article you know the whole.. SENT TO PRISION FOR ASSAULTING SOMEONE with a paddle as a joke thing.

Not that I'm skeptical about this but genuinely curious of how it works, how did someone get put into a wheelchair by one of these?

You realize it is wooden club. right? Someone that was a bit too enthusiastic hit a bit too hard. You can slip and fall and end up in a wheelchair due to hitting the floor the wrong way. Not everyone heals the same; not every injury is the same. Apparently, it was a rare, but possible injury to the pelvis. Small frame bodies without much fat....bare skin... you can kinda feel how that felt when someone, when you weren't expecting it to come up and smack you full force.

A lot of the Live-journals and old fanboards that used to have discussions and records of these are long gone. Yahoo fan-pages are gone so all those archives are gone. I remember that some of the records weren't that it was the owner of the paddles but people who were standing around that picked them up and then hit people with them. "Just a prank bro"... and you wonder why and if that ever happened. They answer is.. Yes, if tiktok and "prankers" are any evidence on how people are, that should show you that, yes, people were hurt by these and they shouldn't exist again...

And are rightfully banned. Not so much for the owners of them but for idiots who can and will misuse them.
HKurogane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't trying to come off as dismissive, so I apologize if it came off that way. When it's put in the perspective of falls and injuries not being the same for all people especially when it comes to size/health of each person that makes way more sense.

Those were some pretty crazy times then, sorry to hear to anyone who was on the receiving end of those things. I now understand why people are so adamantly against this.

Lady Multi wrote:
#HKurogane wrote:

Also to this post people

Lady Multi wrote:

You realize it is wooden club. right? Someone that was a bit too enthusiastic hit a bit too hard. You can slip and fall and end up in a wheelchair due to hitting the floor the wrong way. Not everyone heals the same; not every injury is the same. Apparently, it was a rare, but possible injury to the pelvis. Small frame bodies without much fat....bare skin... you can kinda feel how that felt when someone, when you weren't expecting it to come up and smack you full force.

A lot of the Live-journals and old fanboards that used to have discussions and records of these are long gone. Yahoo fan-pages are gone so all those archives are gone. I remember that some of the records weren't that it was the owner of the paddles but people who were standing around that picked them up and then hit people with them. "Just a prank bro"... and you wonder why and if that ever happened. They answer is.. Yes, if tiktok and "prankers" are any evidence on how people are, that should show you that, yes, people were hurt by these and they shouldn't exist again...

And are rightfully banned. Not so much for the owners of them but for idiots who can and will misuse them.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

Probably because that version of the story was false;
https://youtu.be/F8yuFmJVwtY?t=1165 (corrected version)
https://nerdreactor.com/2013/07/13/harassment-in-the-nerdplace-what-can-be-done/
Quote:
Adam Kharkarov
...I also can’t stress how much I hate YAOI PADDLES. I have an injury on my lower spine and getting hit by those sends very painful resonance throughout my entire body that leaves me almost paralyzed for short periods of time. ...

That said, I do wonder why the paddles were allowed to begin with? It ticks the boxes of harassment, physical violation, and probably a few more...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

That said, I do wonder why the paddles were allowed to begin with? It ticks the boxes of harassment, physical violation, and probably a few more...

For the same reason certain perverts were allowed to harass and violate people for so long, cons didn't care unless someone made a fuss.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kickstarter took it down.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Good that it was taken down, it's one thing to be in poor taste but another to steal an artist's design and try to reproduce them against their permission

Edit:
Quote:
his relaunch is "meant to just be for a keeps sake no more dangerous than a wooden spoon in the kitchen,"

My mom would very much disagree about the safety of a wooden spoon Laughing
turnsie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
At first I was immensely disappointed to see the project got funded, then before I knew it, it was taken down. I'm really hoping Henry just takes the L.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing Henry AL doesn't know jack about legal stuff. I'm in no way shape or form an expert myself, but I'm pretty sure you are allowed to just hold onto a patent or design and both not use it yourself and not let anyone else use it. Especially in a case where, y'know, you made something kind of dangerous? While I think it would be difficult (if not impossible) to prevent one woodworker in his shop hand making one yaoi paddle for old times' sake to hang over his weeb fireplace like a trophy bass, preventing someone from mass producing a small batch should be more than stoppable, especially when they went to the internet to try to make it happen. And just because Hen Da Ne didn't make the very first original yaoi paddle doesn't mean anything either because they got their legal ducks in a row on that one. I wanna say that Kickstarter was based in the UK though, and I'm not sure how copyright law applies with overseas stuff, but given that these aren't being mass produced in some Chinese factory (where copyright means very little to them), I'm guessing the UK won't lose sleep over yaoi paddles not being made.

Both of Henry AL's "legal claims" seem utterly useless to me. These are yaoi paddles that aren't being made, not life saving medicine.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:04 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I'm guessing Henry AL doesn't know jack about legal stuff. I'm in no way shape or form an expert myself, but I'm pretty sure you are allowed to just hold onto a patent or design and both not use it yourself and not let anyone else use it. Especially in a case where, y'know, you made something kind of dangerous? While I think it would be difficult (if not impossible) to prevent one woodworker in his shop hand making one yaoi paddle for old times' sake to hang over his weeb fireplace like a trophy bass, preventing someone from mass producing a small batch should be more than stoppable, especially when they went to the internet to try to make it happen. And just because Hen Da Ne didn't make the very first original yaoi paddle doesn't mean anything either because they got their legal ducks in a row on that one. I wanna say that Kickstarter was based in the UK though, and I'm not sure how copyright law applies with overseas stuff, but given that these aren't being mass produced in some Chinese factory (where copyright means very little to them), I'm guessing the UK won't lose sleep over yaoi paddles not being made.

Technically speaking, the UK is a Common Law country just like the U.S., and many of those laws can be applied overseas into another CL country, in this case the States, as long both countries had a very similar law codes, so in this case copyright laws could still apply. I dunno if such paddles are banned in British cons, though.

And regarding the topic, I never heard about such stuff in my life, as such paddles are basically unknown and never heard in Mexican cons, even if Mexico had laxer laws regarding props, so I agree that was a pretty stupid thing, even in its time.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Can we not, please?
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

When they first showed up, it was just a canoe paddle that some people carried around. They were allowed just like someone could bring a staff or a crutch as a cosplay prop. I mean, they're canoe paddles, not "weapons"...so fine.

Then as the months (and years) went by, people started smacking each other harder and harder. At the same time, Hen Da Ne became more and more obnoxious in their method selling them by standing on tables and shouting across the dealers' room. With that, conventions (acting independently), started to ban the paddles and/or Hen Da Ne from conventions. Then these thankfully faded into distant memories...until this Kickstarter.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:23 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I'm guessing Henry AL doesn't know jack about legal stuff.

Quite likely. It's pretty common for enthusiastic members of the fandom to be a bit... naive, shall we say, about the actual legalities surrounding what they do. I speak from personal experience on several fronts there.

Fortunately, these things didn't seem to ever make an appearance at the Australian conventions I've attended. Whether it's just an aspect of American otaku culture that never really caught on anywhere else or because of how they would likely not pass the weapons policies made necessary by local laws, I'm not too sure.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:27 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Harassment policies have really only been beefed up in the last decade or two. Which if you do the math, you might notice aligns very suspiciously with something else that we're talking about here.

Thats not to say that it was a direct response, but it would not be a stretch to say that the whole yaoi paddle 'thing' (forgive the pun) knocked it into a higher gear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6