• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Aim for the Ace!, GaoGaiGar Series & Final OVA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
^ Cheers! Very Happy
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Aim for the Ace is fantastic news. True classic, both great to watch and incredibly influential. Great summary above.
Pantha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Aim For the Ace is a first day buy for me. I’m a shoujo nut and I’ve never seen the entire show. I saw the first five episodes about 20 years ago and never got around to watching the rest. I can’t wait for the release; it’s been on my wish list for ages. I may double-dip on Saint Tail, but I doubt it. I rarely double-dip/upgrade because I don’t see the need to rebuy certain shows on Blu-Ray. Do I really need another copy of a 30-year old magical girl series that I watched only once?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Super excited about Aim for the Ace especially

I started watching it a long time ago but then could no longer find it to watch. I am sure I could have found it if I looked hard enough but I am so much happier to be able to support it legally.
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:19 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:

Anyway. Super excited for several of these. Aim for the Ace is one of my absolute favorites. I hope it sells well enough for them to do the sequels (which haven't even had a fansub), which I will also buy in a heartbeat. Will probably double dip for upgrades of my Saint Tail and Mononoke discs, too. Treasure Island is also definitely on my radar.

:

I thought something from Aim for the Ace was a given, considering their love for Dezaki (and along with Rose of Versailles and Dear Brother--his other major shoujo adaptations--it's an all time fave of mine). BUT I was thinking maybe they'd only release the movie--at least at first, considering they've only released the movies of his Ashita no Joe 1 and 2 (which are frustratingly compilation films--Aim for the Ace the movie is a stunningly animated new retelling.)

Speaking of hasn't the Treasure Island compilation film been officially released? Maybe as part of TMS' Youtube releases? But I'm definitely excited for that.

However, in case no one else told you, as of just a couple of years back now, all the Dezaki supervised Aim for the Ace have been fansubed--the original series, the 1979 movie, the 1988 Aim for the Ace 2, 13 episode OVA and the 1989 Aim for the Ace Final Stage 12 episode OVA--during the peak of Covid I did a rewatch of them all in sequence. Of course there's a big tonal and style change from the first series, but I sttil think they play well all together and hope we would get them eventually too. So they're out there and pretty eay to find.

The missing show is the late 70s Shin Aim for the Ace. It was kinda rushed because the original tv anime was a flop and cut short--but then did EXTREMELY well in reruns, becoming a kinda phenomenon (the same thing happened to Yamato around the same time), which cause Margaret Magazine to ask the mangaka to pick up the story again (and she had become quite spiritual by then, which is reflected in all the stuff with the monk in that part of the work.) But they also wanted to do a TV anime that could cover the entire first half of the manga, so much of what the '73 series couldn't even cover as the manga hadn't been out long. Dezaki was asked but was tied up with one of his myriad other projects so didn't direct the Shin series and I've watched some episodes (no fans subs) but they came off as kinda clumsy looking with unappealing art and no distinct direction like Dezaki's--and I don't think even in Japan they got much love. Dezaki of course was then asked to direct the 1979 movie....

Which is my long and awkwardly written little Aim for the Ace history (can you tell I'm excited to get it on disc!?)
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:44 am Reply with quote
[quote="Triltaison"]
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Do you like the melodrama of classic shoujo like Dear Brother or '80s Glass Mask? Because Ace has the same flavor of high stakes drama.

Do you enjoy watching historically important shows? Because it set the standard for certain sport and shoujo shows for decades, and it still regularly shows up on "Best of" rankings for different Japanese websites and TV polls (despite being over 40 years old now)

In particular, fans of Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow's Joe) and Dear Brother will probably very much enjoy Aim for the Ace. It's kinda like the two were rolled together into a much shorter show where Nanako is trained by Danpei to be the best tennis player, but Danpei is handsome and uses more questionable training techniques.

Very well said. Of course the first Ace also has this incredibly dynamic kinda art-pop colour style that even out of Dezaki productions is pretty unique (he took a lot more naturalistic tone to the higher budget film and OVA sequels he did.)

As for the Dear Brother connections, at least some of those were conscious by Dezaki. He didn't have much of Ace's manga to work with when the anime was made, so indeed expanded the friendship scenes between Hiromi and Maki. Then when he had to greatly expand Dear Brother from its very short (500 pages or so) manga, one main thing he did was basically modelling the friendship of Nanako and Tomoko's friendship on it (in the manga their friendship breaks up at the start and then is never resolved till near the very end)--doing similar activities like hanging out at cafes (in fact the 1989 Final Stage, Ace OVA series seems to have them going to the same cafe with big fish aquariums that you see in Dear Brother--actually much of the background and character designs for the Ace OVA and Dear Brother, which came out a year later, are *very similyar* And I like that.)

He also took a barely featured Ace character--I wanna say her name is Kyoko Otowa--who is jealous of Hiromi taking away her position, and torments her, but eventually we find out she has her own tragic back story. That character essentially became Misaki in Dear Brother (another role barely in the manga) who behaves similarly and torments her (with razor blades this time--not just a tack in her shoe) and we find out has her own tragic backstory. They even look the same. As do the schools with their towers (but in Ace the school is co-ed.)

The original Ace anime has pretty basic animation, like every tv anime from the early 70s--but because Dezaki is just so good, as are the people he worked with like Sugino, it barely even matters--simple animation with a lot of stock footage in the tennis matches is just so well directed, as are, as I mentioned, the use of colours and stylization,that it barely matters. Ace in many ways is shoujo at its most distilled--the original series for example seems to suggest Hiromi has no parents, or at least terrible absent parents (though they are introduced in the OVAs and become more important) and Hiromi's house seems to have one strange bedroom and nothing else. But it all just works. I love it and I'll shut up now. (OH, of course Reika "Mme Butterfly" in Ace, and Miya-sama in Brother also share similar huge blonde curl character designs, and play similar roles--including being rich and playing the piano for high drama a lot... Reika of course is ultimately the less villainous...)
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
I'm suspried that people are cool with a Sion Sono film being released given the recent news behind the guy.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:54 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, Discotek Media should dub Saint Tail's last 28 episodes. Either that or the complete redub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4