• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Can We Do to Help English Voice Actors?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Bayonetta 3 shouldn't be used for this topic. It is an outlier.

The original voice actress would have been well paid for her work, much more than most people that post here. The only discussion for Bayonetta 3 was the value that the voice actress and the production put on her specific role. This has nothing to do with a living wage or unionization. It is like having an argument on whether or not, five million or ten million is right for a NFL player.

Nothing wrong with being upset that your favorite VA didn't get picked, and someone new is going to get the role. But this happens to Hollywood actors and actresses too.

Bayonetta is the most prominent example because she was the original voice of the character as the game was created with the English audio track first. All the other examples are English dub voice actors who have far less impact on the franchise as it would only affect one region in the world. Not that I think Hellena Taylor calling for a boycott isn't cringe but there's a reason she got all the attention in the mainstream media since she was the OG.

That still doesn't cure it of being an outlier. Bayonetta 3 is not about a Living Wage or Unionization, but rather the value of a specific actor or actress to the role. Yes, at the end of the day, we can root for our favorites and be sad when someone new replaces them, because of contract negotiations.
MewtwoCrusher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:14 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Do you know of any sources of information on this?

I was beaten to the punch by Blanchimont. In any event, you shouldn't state myths with confidence. You shouldn't ask, "Why are Japanese seiyuu well paid?" or "How did seiyuu get to be so well-paid?" because that implies that they are well-paid in general and they aren't and never have been.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:14 am Reply with quote
MewtwoCrusher wrote:
In any event, you shouldn't state myths with confidence. You shouldn't ask, "Why are Japanese seiyuu well paid?" or "How did seiyuu get to be so well-paid?" because that implies that they are well-paid in general and they aren't and never have been.

I wasn't confident about the pay of Japanese voice actors (seiyuu are voice actors who are also singers).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4