• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Super Mario Bros. Movie Animated Film's 2nd Trailer Previews Peach, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Ma

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
The whole concept of "canon" in Mario is highly questionable anyway.

Nah that’s Zelda’s side of the street Razz

Rentwo wrote:
For all the things the trailer shows the movie took from the games, they seemed to completely ignore Peach's arsenal. I mean, a pike? Really? Why not her parasol, or turnips, a golf club, a frying pan, magic, or anything else she's known to use in the games.

….By games you mean Smash Bros.?

With the funny part being that throwing turnips was something introduced in Super Mario Bros.2 that all the characters could do.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:59 pm Reply with quote
thepepin wrote:
Folks, just come out and admit the truth. The reason why you didn't want Chris Pratt to get this role has nothing to do with "justice for voice actors". It is because you dislike Chris Pratt. Why?

I won't quote the rest of this paragraph because it's just a bunch of inexplicable insinuations that the Chris Pratt hate is some sort of left-wing conspiracy, but people have been pretty clear about why--because Mario already has a voice actor, who is still alive and working. (Unlike, say, Kung Fu Panda.) Voice acting in a slapstick-filled comedy movie is very different from making "Wahoo!" noises for a video game (though Martinet is certainly capable of both), so this change of actors isn't necessarily a bad idea. But there's no ulterior motive to (some) people's distaste for it.

There is, of course, one ulterior motive to the casting choice--promoting the movie through name recognition. But that's true of all big-budget movies.

Regardless of the actor, I think it could have been funny to have all the characters act and speak normally, except for Mario, who would only make Mario Noises. That could get old if used for the whole 90+ minutes, but maybe he'll transition to that during his training arc, or something.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
The whole concept of "canon" in Mario is highly questionable anyway.

Nah that’s Zelda’s side of the street Razz

Zelda at least pretends to have continuity, with some games that are explicitly sequels featuring the same Link as another, the big messy Hyrule Historia timeline that tries to reconcile everything, BotW's shtick of taking place thousands of years after all the others somehow, a few recurring locations like Kakariko Village or Death Mountain or the Lost Woods. Mario doesn't even do the last, I think, aside from Bowser and Peach's castles. There are some relatively consistent (if broad) characterizations, but there's basically no interest in any "canon" of setting or events.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Mario's continuity is a loose thing, to put it mildly. Miyamoto repeatedly compared Mario and friends to the Looney Tunes and other ideas of an acting troupe assuming roles, which means they're malleable to put it lightly. Whether the roles work or not is another matter altogether.

As for Pratt, I'm not impressed by what I've heard, and his go-away heat with the internet tends to boil down to the fact that he hasn't really widened the type of role he's played outside of Star-Lord (as well as personal issues which I will not touch). It's not a conspiracy when he's clearly the weakest link but also the main character.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
This ran in Nintendo Power.

General "canon" discussion aside, I'm not sure a joke comic in Nintendo Power is the best thing to be citing or basing character personalities on rather than the games themselves. Mario has had numerous comics, shows, and manga all over the world. But most of the stuff that goes on in Super Mario-kun in Corocoro Comics probably isn't worth holding up as a series bible, unless you think Mario should also pull his pants down and draw an elephant on his schlong like all kids manga seem to do. Although nothing on the page screams 'girlboss' so I don't see the point in posing it. That page reads more like "angry anime girl with a large mallet bonking people' types of comedic slapstick.

kotomikun wrote:
I won't quote the rest of this paragraph because it's just a bunch of inexplicable insinuations that the Chris Pratt hate is some sort of left-wing conspiracy, but people have been pretty clear about why--because Mario already has a voice actor, who is still alive and working. (Unlike, say, Kung Fu Panda.) Voice acting in a slapstick-filled comedy movie is very different from making "Wahoo!" noises for a video game (though Martinet is certainly capable of both), so this change of actors isn't necessarily a bad idea. But there's no ulterior motive to (some) people's distaste for it.

There is, of course, one ulterior motive to the casting choice--promoting the movie through name recognition. But that's true of all big-budget movies.

Regardless of the actor, I think it could have been funny to have all the characters act and speak normally, except for Mario, who would only make Mario Noises. That could get old if used for the whole 90+ minutes, but maybe he'll transition to that during his training arc, or something.

You are aware all the characters also have voice actors already, right? The fact you're singling one actor out on this and not the others is definitely not a good look and undermines peoples attempts at playing this off as merely a concerned citizen. Charles Martinet also voices Luigi, and here's Charlie Day stealing the role from him and just using his normal Day voice just like Pratt is. Certainly that must also be an issue people will harp endlessly on now as well now that we've heard his and Peach's voices.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:50 pm Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:

You are aware all the characters also have voice actors already, right? The fact you're singling one actor out on this and not the others is definitely not a good look and undermines peoples attempts at playing this off as merely a concerned citizen. Charles Martinet also voices Luigi, and here's Charlie Day stealing the role from him and just using his normal Day voice just like Pratt is. Certainly that must also be an issue people will harp endlessly on now as well now that we've heard his and Peach's voices.
By all means get rid of all the celebrity actors and let the whole cast be voiced by their actual voice actors. I really couldn't care less about any of the celebrities in this movie. I honestly didn't even know who Anya Taylor-Joy was before the Mario movie.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:43 pm Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:
You are aware all the characters also have voice actors already, right? The fact you're singling one actor out on this and not the others is definitely not a good look

Part of the problem is people have different ideas as to what Mario should like and with Pratt not filling that niche he’s getting a lot of criticism. The reason why no one else is getting that same criticism is because for the most part they’re fine.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
By all means get rid of all the celebrity actors and let the whole cast be voiced by their actual voice actors.

Unless Toad’s original voice from the early Mario Party & Mario Kart games is in that roll call I decline.
Uchay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:02 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Pratt's lack of effort is even more evident when looking at the dub in other languages. Where there is an attempt to mimic Charles Martinet and some of them nail it perfectly. I was particularly impressed with the Brazilian version. Not a fan of Peaches' voice either. It gives me Zendaya as Lola kind of low energy vibes.

I actually got curious and checked it---You are actually right, the brazilian dub for Mario is pretty impressing. That said, I don't know portuguese so I can't tell nuances in the language, but it does feel the most like "Mario" as I've known from games to me.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:29 am Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
Pratt's lack of effort is even more evident when looking at the dub in other languages. Where there is an attempt to mimic Charles Martinet and some of them nail it perfectly. I was particularly impressed with the Brazilian version. Not a fan of Peaches' voice either. It gives me Zendaya as Lola kind of low energy vibes.

I actually got curious and checked it---You are actually right, the brazilian dub for Mario is pretty impressing. That said, I don't know portuguese so I can't tell nuances in the language, but it does feel the most like "Mario" as I've known from games to me.

fun fact: the Brazilian dub voices of Luigi and Mario are Sonic and James Marsden in the Sonic movies!
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
Curiously, I think Dazai from Bungo once ate a mushroom leading to.... complicated results
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This looks fine and all but Christopher Michael Pratt can barely voice act so I might stick to the German dub for this one. The dubs all sound much better. He also forgot how to act a few years ago. He was a legit start in Guardians 1 and sleepwalks though the Galaxy Holiday Special for example.

Anyway, well-done internet: Super Mario Bros. - The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach! [Full Film, Subbed, 4K Restoration]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzlZy9zpw0Q&t=2796s
A film that the games took ideas from. A bit like with Silent Hill in the 00s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably one of the few people who also didn't like the voice of Peach when I first heard it, but I think I'll probably like it better when the movie comes out.

But I also don't think Pratt sounded any better, and I was really hoping to get some more dialogue from him, but it sounds more or less the same as the first teaser.

At the end of the trailer, Mario does his iconic cheer, but I'm not sure if that was Chris Pratt or Charles Martinet... and if it was him, I hope that's not the "cameo" that they were mentioning Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4