• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Aya Hirano Claims She Still Receives Death Threats From Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
We aren't comparing a bigot to Hirano. There's absolutely zero things in common between those two situations and you couldn't blow that anti-trans dogwhistle any louder.

Aerdra wrote:

I didn't say that the idol industry needs reform; I was actually implying the opposite, given the industry's growth. If there are enough people replacing those who leave, it means there are enough people who don't feel exploited. And like I said before, those who do feel that the idol job description is burdensome should find a different line of work, which may or may not include alternative avenues in the entertainment industry.

You can't be serious. People take exploitative jobs out of a means for survival constantly and add the glow of potential fame to a teen/ young adult who puts their trust in management and you have a recipe for disaster. It doesn't matter if the "incels" hold the money or if for some reason you think dancing 22 year olds shouldn't have sex because you bought their CD. It's messed up. Death threats are not ok. Just quit engaging with their work if they aren't "pure" enough for you (gross).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
If an otaku is genuinely upset with a girl that they could never in a million years touch, because that same girl has a healthy(or any) sex life. Then that otaku is dangerous and mentally disturbed end of.

What is healthy? I dunno, maybe if the fans understood the separation between fantasy and reality. If people are genuinely upset with the reality, because they can't get their rocks off to a bikini pic, then they have mental problems, and the entire idol industry is catering to, coddling, and normalizing dangerous and disturbed people.
Spack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Allegedly three band members, with alleged photos of one. But that is not what Fedora-san said.

Fedora-san wrote:

I would say there's a pretty big difference between 'had a relationship' and 'slept around with dozens of guys at once'.
(Emphasis added.)

Three does not equal 24+.

My guy, you are splitting hairs here. Rather than argue over semantics for a gotcha, maybe it's better to address the original point being made. Hirano slept around. That's scandalous in any industry. Her seiyuu career was already in dire straits before due to her disparaging remarks about anime and otaku in an attempt to break into being a mainstream tarento, but then that scandal ruined any chance she had at being a more mainstream celebrity as well because no one wants to associate with someone with an image like that.
Ultimately no one is stopping her from voicing in anime if she really wants to aside from her own dislike of the medium and the bit of crow she has to eat every time she voices a new anime role after all the things she said. But it seems she largely moved on with her life and the occasional anime role is just a side hustle for some extra cash.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Spack wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Allegedly three band members, with alleged photos of one. But that is not what Fedora-san said.

Fedora-san wrote:

I would say there's a pretty big difference between 'had a relationship' and 'slept around with dozens of guys at once'.
(Emphasis added.)

My guy, you are splitting hairs here. Rather than argue over semantics for a gotcha, maybe it's better to address the original point being made.

Ehrm, please read Fedora-san's original post. Fedora-san was arguing semantics, hence my original reply: "When claiming others are trying to downplay a point, it's best not to exaggerate that point, and then put it in quotes."
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Spack wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:

Fedora-san wrote:

(Emphasis added.)

My guy, you are splitting hairs here. Rather than argue over semantics for a gotcha, maybe it's better to address the original point being made. Hirano slept around. That's scandalous in any industry. Her seiyuu career was already in dire straits before due to her disparaging remarks about anime and otaku in an attempt to break into being a mainstream tarento, but then that scandal ruined any chance she had at being a more mainstream celebrity as well because no one wants to associate with someone with an image like that.
Ultimately no one is stopping her from voicing in anime if she really wants to aside from her own dislike of the medium and the bit of crow she has to eat every time she voices a new anime role after all the things she said. But it seems she largely moved on with her life and the occasional anime role is just a side hustle for some extra cash.

The way you phrase this whole post is like you were personally wronged by this person having a sex life. Confused
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Spack wrote:
But everyone knows all the notable Vtuber's real identities. It's just a faux pas to bring it up or mention it in their community. Vtuber idols still abide by the same rules as real life idols do. The reason Mano Aloe was suspended and graduated so quickly after her debut was because people saw what her "roommate" was saying and doing on social media which affected her own standing and conduct in Hololive. Vtubing is not a free pass to do whatever they want.
Was this made heir apparent even as far back as the days with Kasuga Nozomi and Kizuna Ai?
onpufan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Exactly. Idols are born of this obsession and thrive in it, like Hirano did (although their producers/managers are the ones benefiting from it obviously), until something bad happens. Must admit I myself glanced at a 12-15 years old open air junior idols concert once while strolling Nagoya central park, wondering what kind of people could watch this, and judging by the looks of spectators, most of them where 40+ men, so you know...

Those idol concerts are pretty fun. It's very sad you feel the need to judge people you know nothing about to make yourself feel better.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Imagine justifying death threats. For any reason.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
You can't be serious. People take exploitative jobs out of a means for survival constantly and add the glow of potential fame to a teen/ young adult who puts their trust in management and you have a recipe for disaster. It doesn't matter if the "incels" hold the money or if for some reason you think dancing 22 year olds shouldn't have sex because you bought their CD. It's messed up. Death threats are not ok. Just quit engaging with their work if they aren't "pure" enough for you (gross).

The only thing I agree with is that death threats, along with harassment, stalking, etc., are never ok in any situation. Unlawful fan behavior shouldn't be tolerated. This applies for everyone, not just idols or celebrities.

I see no problem with an idol production company terminating the employment of an idol that violates personal conduct policies. In fact, this is done because of (anticipated) fan backlash; fans will stop engaging with (i.e. stop spending money on) that idol, and the negative publicity may spread to other members of the group or company if they don't cut ties.

Idols don't need to keep their job to survive. They're there for fame and fortune; it sure beats working part-time at the convenience store or restaurant.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Idols don't need to keep their job to survive. They're there for fame and fortune; it sure beats working part-time at the convenience store or restaurant.

This might make more sense if the position was self-employed, but we're talking about young/immature girls and women being drawn into an entertainment industry they're unprepared for, run by adults who specifically draw on their youth and "purity" to sell tickets, where fear of retaliation and disappointing fans is used to keep them from leavingーan industry riddled with horror stories and suicide in the 60's-80's because these girls felt trapped and overdependent on their new livelihoods. Today, the lingering parts of that era involving purity culture are still a problem and often discussed in Japan, especially when there is an incident involving an overzealous fan. The problem we're pointing out here involves that toxic feedback loop. The "job" being a "job" is no excuse for anything, especially since we have long studied how psychological exploitation in the work force can coerce people into behaviors or actions they wouldn't otherwise doーor in this case, keep them from living healthy lives.

Btw, since someone else mentioned it, Hirano Aya may have been a seiyuu and singer, but she was also listed as a "gravure idol" in her bio at the time, and dealt with the same otaku celeb culture most idols do, so discussion about the idol industry is still relevant here.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

The only thing I agree with is that death threats, along with harassment, stalking, etc., are never ok in any situation. Unlawful fan behavior shouldn't be tolerated. This applies for everyone, not just idols or celebrities.

I see no problem with an idol production company terminating the employment of an idol that violates personal conduct policies. In fact, this is done because of (anticipated) fan backlash; fans will stop engaging with (i.e. stop spending money on) that idol, and the negative publicity may spread to other members of the group or company if they don't cut ties.

Maybe there is in fact a problem with treating people like commodities instead of humans? Not to mention since Hirano went on a show and publicly talked about her sex life, it probably had little to do with personal conduct policies and more to do with good old fashioned misogynistic backlash.

People are allowed to fall in love; to deny so is to deny their personhood.

(Not that people who don't fall in love are less human; merely that you can't make rules against someone having feelings and seeking personal connections.)

People are allowed to have sex, and it's nobody else's business as long as all parties involved are consenting.

Aya Hirano has sex? Good for her.

Aya Hirano has sex with three guys? Good for her.

Aya Hirano has sex with dozens upon dozens of men?
GOOD. FOR. HER.

Anything else is bullcrap.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:41 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
People are allowed to fall in love; to deny so is to deny their personhood.

"The freedom to love is a fundamental human right."
"That's not something I expect to hear from an idol."
-Oshi no Ko

…It's gonna be fun seeing the kinds of discussions that pop up when that starts airing.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:45 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Maybe there is in fact a problem with treating people like commodities instead of humans?

If the people in question agree to commoditize themselves, then there's no problem. It's only a problem if they're unwilling. I have no problem with everything else you said.

Juno016 wrote:
This might make more sense if the position was self-employed, but we're talking about young/immature girls and women being drawn into an entertainment industry they're unprepared for, run by adults who specifically draw on their youth and "purity" to sell tickets, where fear of retaliation and disappointing fans is used to keep them from leavingーan industry riddled with horror stories and suicide in the 60's-80's because these girls felt trapped and overdependent on their new livelihoods. Today, the lingering parts of that era involving purity culture are still a problem and often discussed in Japan, especially when there is an incident involving an overzealous fan. The problem we're pointing out here involves that toxic feedback loop. The "job" being a "job" is no excuse for anything, especially since we have long studied how psychological exploitation in the work force can coerce people into behaviors or actions they wouldn't otherwise doーor in this case, keep them from living healthy lives.

Finally, a thoughtful response!

If people were coerced to become or to stay as idols, that would indeed be a problem. The horror stories from the past certainly show that all was not well back then. However, I believe the situation now isn't so bleak. Idols "graduate" all the time, bid their fans farewell, and the fans move on. Some former idols stay in the entertainment industry, some leave. It's easier now, especially psychologically, to quit if one decides being an idol is not what one had hoped for.

One thing I will concede is that more can be done to police fan conduct, such as expelling/banning misbehaving fans, and referring more serious incidents to law enforcement. However, one shouldn't judge the overall idol community on the basis of a few problematic individuals.

------------

My posts were made in reply to other posts discussing the idol industry, not the original article, but since the context may be lost, let me just say this now: What's happening to Aya Hirano now is not acceptable. Threats, harassment, stalking, and other unlawful behavior is not justifiable, and former fans should move on. Hopefully we can agree on something.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:01 am Reply with quote
Few things I'm still confused with anime-oriented voice actors in Japan:

1. Is there a line between being a VA and an idol?
Can you become a VA without becoming an idol? Or is it part of the package? Who decides this? Your talent agency? Or the industry?
2. Can you become a VA without being, uh, physically attractive? Can I become a highly sought-after VA if I am able to voice 100 different types of characters from gruff old dude to charming bishonen BUT have a look that would shatter your camera lens?
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:10 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
1. Is there a line between being a VA and an idol?
Can you become a VA without becoming an idol? Or is it part of the package? Who decides this? Your talent agency? Or the industry?
2. Can you become a VA without being, uh, physically attractive? Can I become a highly sought-after VA if I am able to voice 100 different types of characters from gruff old dude to charming bishonen BUT have a look that would shatter your camera lens?

1. You can become a VA without becoming an idol. ANN regularly publishes news articles of VAs announcing relationships with no controversy. (However, VAs can be idols, and vice versa.)
2. VAs are wanted for their vocal talents, not their looks. (Unless the VA doubles as an idol.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6