• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tomo-chan Is a Girl!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pip25

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda worried to watch more of this. The anime has been awesome so far, but that "almost-confession" scene at the festival was exactly where the manga started going downhill... Sad
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:30 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
I'm kinda worried to watch more of this. The anime has been awesome so far, but that "almost-confession" scene at the festival was exactly where the manga started going downhill... Sad

I binged the manga and didn't get that feeling. I think the manga does change after that point, though. It becomes less about Tomo trying to win Jun's affection and more about the two of them sorting out their baggage and figuring out what they want -- and don't want -- from a romantic relationship.

spoiler[I especially liked what eventually made the romantic side of Tomo and Jun's relationship click. Tomo realized that not only did she not have to become stereotypically feminine to win Jun's affection, but that Jun didn't even want that. Jun realized that he didn't have to surpass Tomo to be good enough for her.]
pip25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:41 am Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
I binged the manga and didn't get that feeling. I think the manga does change after that point, though. It becomes less about Tomo trying to win Jun's affection and more about the two of them sorting out their baggage and figuring out what they want -- and don't want -- from a romantic relationship.

That's fine and all, but from this point on in the manga I could not shake the feeling that the author is trying to draw things out unnecessarily. All that baggage could have been sorted out without resorting to that. Tomo not wanting to confess to Jun at the festival is an especially horrific example, as it felt utterly nonsensical in its original 4-koma form, and the animated version of it isn't much better either.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:35 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
Tomo not wanting to confess to Jun at the festival is an especially horrific example, as it felt utterly nonsensical in its original 4-koma form

It made sense to me, at least from an emotional perspective. Much as she wants Jun, confessing to him is risky, and it's easy in that moment to choke or hesitate and come up with all sorts of reasons why now just isn't the time.

But to each their own.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:06 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed pretty much every episode of the show, but Ep.9 was a little weird for me. It felt like they are trying to resolve things heading to the end of the season and we've entered a mad sprint (at least this episode) to get things done story wise. I can't quite put my finger on it but I got the impression that there was something left out of this little arc. Still overall the show has been the surprise of the season for me, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I've enjoyed pretty much every episode of the show, but Ep.9 was a little weird for me. It felt like they are trying to resolve things heading to the end of the season and we've entered a mad sprint (at least this episode) to get things done story wise. I can't quite put my finger on it but I got the impression that there was something left out of this little arc. Still overall the show has been the surprise of the season for me, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much.

That's because episode 9 skipped a LOT of stuff, I think the training and flashback would have taken the whole episode while the whole Misuzu breaking Carol, confession and aftermath would have been another one.

For example: there is a whole little subplot about Carol pissing off some rascals when they were kids and senpai protected her and got his ass kicked by a girl who was their leader, later in present time, we see the same girl casually bumping with senpai and falling for him at first sigh and felling like an idiot for punching him.

Thus, if it felt rushed its because it was.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
I never thought in a million years this anime would get deep or scratch just below the surface into the secondary characters but, man it's doing a wonderful job. I would wager a bet going into this series early on most people would have looked at Carol and Misuzu as characters that would be sprinkled in at moments needed to buff up scenes, but BANG! we have this episode and, what I believe MrAJCosplay guesses may come into play: an episode digging into Misuzu's character a bit deeper. I'm all for it! What could have been a cookie-cutter anime about two characters and the been there, done that, shy boy, shy girl show into one that's a rung or two up the rom-com ladder. I paint this series with the way better then expected brush so far.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
The reveal of the "real" Carol and subsequent confession was handled great. Props to Sally Amaki and Kohei Amasaki.

This episode also had some good moments and layers for Misuzu as much as it expanded on Carol.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He's acting like a boyfriend that cheated on his girlfriend

I don't think that's quite right.

Suppose you had a situation where a guy goes to his female friend's room under the pretext that he wants to hang out. She lets him in, and then he pushes her onto the bed and tries to kiss her. She then pushes him off and runs away toward her boyfriend. We would hardly describe her as acting like a cheating girlfriend, even if she felt she was partly responsible for giving him access to her room. That would be at least dangerously close to saying that she was "asking for it."

Well, switch the sexes around, and the situation looks a lot like what happened with Carol, Jun, and Tomo. If anything, Jun's acting more like a loyal boyfriend than a cheating one.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Yeah, I may be misremembering, but didn't Carol also "unload" her thoughts/feelings etc. after her façade was broken?

Quote:
I know the show doesn't dwell too much on it, but Carol's mom really screwed up there, and it's weird that she seemed to notice this was an issue but didn't really do anything about it.

There's reasons why she is the way she is, but I don't recall if that's (possibly) still to come or if it's been skipped over at this point. I know they did skip over some of the hints to it earlier.
pip25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:25 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Interestingly, despite having read the manga and having been kinda apprehensive about what the adaptation would do to the material here, it did not feel rushed to me at all. Yes, they've skipped stuff. But what they did leave in touches upon all important plot points and feels like a coherent whole. I was very much impressed by this episode.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 10, what a great episode! This series continues to surprise me with the quality of the writing, the very good animation and how well the voice work is. And I agree about the ED, it was funny as heck and I too want the last few episodes to end with the same song and animation.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:26 pm Reply with quote
This episode had a lot of good jokes and explanations lost in adaptation:

- Senpai telling Tomo that the whole Karate Club knows she likes Jun in a "It was supposed to be a secret?" way.

- If you wanna know why Mizusu was in panic telling Tomo she had a cold, was because Tomo showed symptoms for a while, with varios characters disregarding it because "Tomo doesn't get colds", Misuzu specially was super serious about it.

She actually having a cold shocked her, it also does double joke with the "Idiots don't get colds" Japanese joke.

-Jun was both in absolute internal panic in denial during the scene se sees Tomo in a skirt for the first time.

- Tomo has been biding her boobs for years, that's why Jun never noticed them, Misuzu has been misleading Jun for years because she found the fact that he didn't know she was a girl funny.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:51 pm Reply with quote
It was a great moment when Tomo gave the game back to Jun and made him recognize they should have a relationship of equals rather than putting each other on a pedestal.
pip25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:42 am Reply with quote
Sigh... Yep, this is what I was afraid of.
Some interesting revelations, especially regarding Misuzu, but overall, really slow and drawn out. Still flowed better than this part of the manga, but that's not saying much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6