• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Bros. Japan, WIT Studio Unveil Original Anime Series Suicide Squad ISEKAI Based on DC C

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'm here for this.

The last 5-6 DC animated projects including that RWBY cross-over no one asked for have been good fun.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:49 am Reply with quote
I kinda wish they made a Poison Ivy anime with Uma Thurman reprising her role.

Side note: I also wished DC would do some crossovers with Japanese properties like how Marvel crossed over with Capcom and Attack on Titan. RWBY doesn't count since that originated in America.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:40 am Reply with quote
Harley Quinn + Suicide squad anime?

Yes!

Isekai?

No! No! Nooooooo!

I always figured that someday Marvel and DC and Image would pour more money into larger anime projects, figuring that the manga boom that's kicking their ass is also in large part thanks to anime (Not to get into the other comic industry creative problems), but you can tell that the isekai decision was a very corporate decision where the marketing team made a lazy list of hit or current trend anime and said,"This! This is what the market wants! More Isekais! This will succeed!"

Anyway, I would like to see some better attempts at comic>anime adaptations compared to the few anthologies and original series we got in the past. But it ought to be projects that fit, specifically faithfully adapting the good source material just as anime does for manga.

My dream projects would include:

Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX / Fury MAX - by MAPPA and the director of Chainsaw-Man

Neil Gaiman's The Sandman - by Studio 4C and director Koji Morimoto

Brian Azzerello's 100 Bullets - by Production I.G. and the director of Heavenly Delusion

Rick Remender's Deadly Class - by TRIGGER and the director of Cyberpunk Edgerunners

Scott Snyder and Stephen King's American Vampire - by Studio WIT and the director of Vampire in the garden.

Mike Mignola's Hellboy - by Science Saru and directed by Masaaki Yuasa.

Jonathan Hickman's East of West - by Madhouse and directed by Takeshi Koike.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:27 am Reply with quote
Future Rule34 artworks in the making....
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:17 am Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
It's not hard to figure out that DC is better off when they just let good film makers make the movies they wanna make instead of trying to desperately compete with Marvel.

Creative freedom and vision is good, but a production company also should make sure the movie makes money. 2021 movie cost more than it made, worldwide...

Personally I preferred the 2016 movie so I hope the production here takes after it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
Comparing the box office of Suicide Squad to The Suicide Squad is a false equivalence since TSS was released during the tail end of the pandemic with a same day HBO Max release. Most viewers saw it on Max. I personally thought the 2016 movie was a train wreck, with a boring plot barely held together by Will Smith’s charisma, but I think there’s a reason Ayer was dismissed and Gunn is now running DC’s films.

That being said, the poster of Harley showing buttons with both a bullseye (indicating Deadshot) and Peacemaker’s helmet has me thinking they’re going to split the difference. Also not expecting Poison Ivy to be in this at all if Harley is still working with the Clown Prince of Crime.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
Knowing Tappei's predilection for strong, powerful, women I'm expecting at least a few significant female characters other than Harley and Waller.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:26 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Harley Quinn + Suicide squad anime?

Yes!

Isekai?

No! No! Nooooooo!

I always figured that someday Marvel and DC and Image would pour more money into larger anime projects, figuring that the manga boom that's kicking their ass is also in large part thanks to anime (Not to get into the other comic industry creative problems), but you can tell that the isekai decision was a very corporate decision where the marketing team made a lazy list of hit or current trend anime and said,"This! This is what the market wants! More Isekais! This will succeed!"

Money aside, the decision to bring in Tappei to write the story is three-fold. He's a fan of DC and Marvel already, for one. He's also one of the trend-setters of the early 2010's isekai genre himself, though his repetoire as an author also expands to scifi and romance works. As one outlet put it, "The [Re:Zero] light novels have been praised for their fresh take on the 'another world' concept, fleshed-out characters, complex world and lore, and thought-provoking topics and themes." He doesn't write your average cookie-cutter isekai, in other words. And third, he's simply been a successful writer in general as he expands his work, meaning he was an easy choice.

I have no doubt this was conceived as another cash-in project, but the people brought on board this time are the kind of all-star team most anime would dream of. I won't go so far as to say it'll be some kind of AotY, but at the very minimum, I think dismissing it outright is a bit naive. I'm not a DC fan, but I'm interested on the merits of its staff.
Rob J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:14 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Future Rule34 artworks in the making....

Future? Try "been happening for years." I mean, I'm new to anime but even I've visited a certain devious artisan website and ...

Nevermind. I've said too much.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Unironically looks pretty great, but they really did not have any creativity when it came to the title lmao

I'm honestly just thankful the title isn't a paragraph at this point
King Chicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:06 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Anyway, I would like to see some better attempts at comic>anime adaptations compared to the few anthologies and original series we got in the past. But it ought to be projects that fit, specifically faithfully adapting the good source material just as anime does for manga.

Never happening, sadly. The recent Watchmen, Sandman, and Y the Last Man series really just show it's not possible to adapt comics faithfully for a variety of reasons. There's not enough respect for the comic industry or its creators for them to do that like they do for manga. Not to mention the lack of legal rights writers have to even own their own creations to have enough pull to call the shots.

Even if you found a director who wanted to do a proper adaption, you will always have the higher ups sabotaging things. It happened with Marvel VS Capcom Infinite with their MCU mandates and has been happening since Fox had the rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies which even affected the comics. The comic industry is too dishevaled to ever give us faithful adaptions. It's a miracle we're getting fun little side projects like this and the jury is still out on how hands off they'll be with it. The closest we ever got was probably when DC made those animated films to tie in with their 2011 reboot of the comics. But I haven't read comics in over a decade so I have no idea how faithful those actually are.
simona.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:27 pm Reply with quote
looks awesome!!!!! can't wait!
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:37 am Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:
Never happening, sadly. The recent Watchmen, Sandman, and Y the Last Man series really just show it's not possible to adapt comics faithfully for a variety of reasons. There's not enough respect for the comic industry or its creators for them to do that like they do for manga. Not to mention the lack of legal rights writers have to even own their own creations to have enough pull to call the shots.

What on earth are you talking about? Neil Gaiman was directly involved in the Netflix version of Sandman! You can’t respect the creator more than that!
RockSplash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
What on earth are you talking about? Neil Gaiman was directly involved in the Netflix version of Sandman! You can’t respect the creator more than that!

They are pretending like Invincible(almost page for page an accurate adaption like many manga and anime) doesn't exist. Also, the boys somehow made a bad comic good. They also ignore indies like Scott Pilgrim being very accurate.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:08 am Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:

Huh? Sandman and Y The Last Man had their respective creators work on them.

Y The Last Man was cancelled because of budgetary reasons, due to the show changing cast members and showrunners, and was also produced during early pandemic times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6