• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - You Fight like a Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hmm, that's a good point there. I wonder what sort of toys girls nowadays are playing with if the lion's share of them are watching the live-action Disney tween sitcoms that everybody's been trying to imitate.

Probably girly paraphernalia like bands, notebooks, stationery, etc. Laughing

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not so optimistic about that. Even when Avatar proved to be popular among boys and girls, Nickelodeon was unhappy because the viewership didn't match the demographic they wanted. And despite repeated and vocal requests, Mattel refused to create figures of any of the female characters. They were convinced boys would not buy them, and apparently they didn't like the color of all the money girls and women would've been willing to spend. Baffling.

I think that's more Nickelodeon's thing. Nickelodeon pulled Invader ZIM off the air because it, too, was getting the wrong audience. (Granted, the primary reason was because it was Nick's most expensive show up to that point to make, but it WAS turning a profit with its high ratings numbers.)

Not that Jhonen Vasquez was distraught about it. Laughing

leafy sea dragon wrote:
because it's a new channel, and new channels NEED to take in anything they feel could even slightly work in order to gain a foothold to survive the rough first few years. Nickelodeon is an old veteran among children's programming and can afford to pick and choose what it wants and whom to aim it to. The Hub cannot.

When Nick was new, they used to air anime like Mysterious Cities of Gold, Grimm's Fairy Tales, The Li'l Bits, Maya the Bee, The Little Koala, and I think also Swan Lake and The Little Match Girl. Laughing
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Avatar:TLA actually has a much larger and more dedicated fan base** than either Ben 10 or the new animated Transformers series, but A:TLA's demographics, like anime fans, tend to skew older than what the toys Nickelodeon are aiming for.

I'm gonna say no way to that. Ben 10 has a much large fanbase from what I've seen. Ben 10 and Avatar skew similar demographics. And no way if you think shipping is exclusive to anime or Avatar or whatever Razz I've seen people crazily ship the silliest pointless shows like Phineas and Ferb and Fairly Odd Parents. Timmy/Trixie and Timmy/Tootie go to wars, man.

Now, I'd be willing to admit Avatar's fanbase is more anno-I mean vocal, but that doesn't mean much. Ben 10 fans certainly don't go around toting it as 'better than REAL anime' or anything silly like that. Ben 10 fans seem more of the comic book super hero type and compare it to comics, despite it's anime influence roots like Avatar.

Also I see tons of adult Transformers Animated/Prime fans. Transformers in general has a really old fanbase. Look at all of them doing toy reviews on YouTube.

And having panels doesn't mean much. I've seen panels for the stupidest stuff at conventions; like some guy's furry comic he made. Anyone with money to blow can host a panel. I know one guy obsessed with this lame Italian cartoon bought a panel at a convention in some vein attempt to get more people into it. I felt kinda bad for him Razz

Gina Szanboti wrote:
It didn't reach the demographic they wanted. Well, actually it did, but it went beyond just drawing boys, and that seemed to bother them. But it did get excellent ratings (and won the 2008 Kids Choice Award) on Nick, pulling in 3-5 million viewers, because girls were watching too. Part of the reason the toys didn't sell as well as they'd hoped, I think, was because half of the character set was missing, i.e., the girls (and girls weren't the only ones who wanted Katara and Toph and Azula). If you want to collect the Justice League, and they only offer Superman and Batman and Green Lantern, what's the point of getting any of them?

Yes, the lead was a boy, but the female characters were indispensable to the plot and the powers that be couldn't see past the "boys series feature boys, period" mindset to market to the people who wanted to buy stuff from them. That's why I was saying I wasn't optimistic about action series with girls in the lead here. The people in control don't seem to want to risk any new marketing strategies, and selling boy heroes to boys and Barbie princesses to girls seems to be as far as their thinking will take them.

Gonna disagree. You're really over estimating Avatar, especially if you think 3 million viewers is something worth bragging about. Nickelodeons other shows got 7/8+ million on average, and their more popular shows went into the 12+ million range. The show got really mediocre ratings at best. It's more likely the toys didn't sell because there weren't many fans of it. I don't exactly think there's many Gwen Tennyson toys either (just some random Lucky Girl figure I think that came out late into the original show's run.. and they made that a dual-figure pack with one of Ben's alien forms. That's a trick they do sometimes, pair a female figure with a male figure so they count on the kids buying it for the male figure and the girl figure is just a 'bonus'), only Ben and the aliens. And considering Toph and Azula weren't around in the first season, only Katara, their absence seems illogical. I doubt one missing character is enough to kill an entire line; especially when a lot of other shows don't make female figures and they do just fine.

You know, I looked it up and they actually did have a Katara figure... when they revived the toy line and made some based on the movie. Razz Better late than never, right?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Avatar:TLA actually has a much larger and more dedicated fan base** than either Ben 10 or the new animated Transformers series, but A:TLA's demographics, like anime fans, tend to skew older than what the toys Nickelodeon are aiming for.

I'm gonna say no way to that. Ben 10 has a much large fanbase from what I've seen. Ben 10 and Avatar skew similar demographics. And no way if you think shipping is exclusive to anime or Avatar or whatever Razz I've seen people crazily ship the silliest pointless shows like Phineas and Ferb and Fairly Odd Parents. Timmy/Trixie and Timmy/Tootie go to wars, man.

I disagree. We also help run a decent-size multi-fandom con here (as Mike Toole could attest - he was a guest last time, thanks Mike! Laughing ), enough that it can afford Hollywood actors/actresses. We also assist or attend several other cons in the general region. And from our experience, observations, and surveys, Avatar:TLA has a bigger fanbase than Ben 10.

Now, about -shipping, there was enough of it with A:TLA fandom that the creators officially recognized it and made "omake" shorts like School Time Shipping. Laughing

Jessica Hart wrote:

Now, I'd be willing to admit Avatar's fanbase is more anno-I mean vocal, but that doesn't mean much. Ben 10 fans certainly don't go around toting it as 'better than REAL anime' or anything silly like that.

There's a small segment, but most Avatar fans don't really compare or care how similar it is to anime. They just like it and don't care either way. Though I could understand why you would hate the series because of such fans.

Jessica Hart wrote:

Also I see tons of adult Transformers Animated/Prime fans. Transformers in general has a really old fanbase. Look at all of them doing toy reviews on YouTube.

You're right, Transformers is an old franchise with decades-long fanbase. That's why I try to separate the fans of the new animated series. Because most of them are still more fans of the old franchise even when they're still fans of the new.

Jessica Hart wrote:

And having panels doesn't mean much. I've seen panels for the stupidest stuff at conventions; like some guy's furry comic he made. Anyone with money to blow can host a panel.

No, these were official panels with the official cast and crew that fans requested that the cons make happen.

Jessica Hart wrote:

Gonna disagree. You're really over estimating Avatar, especially if you think 3 million viewers is something worth bragging about. Nickelodeons other shows got 7/8+ million on average, and their more popular shows went into the 12+ million range.

No, for cable, 3 million is good. Nick never had 12+ million ratings. The best it had was at the height of Spongebob's popularity when it was challenging pro wrestling atop cable ratings around 5-7 million.

Look at last week's Top 25 cable ratings. The top show Pawn Stars was at 6.67 million. Spongebob was around 4 million. Obviously, 3 million would be just a million less than Spongebob. Toonami would've killed for 3 million - its best was at DBZ's height, which was usually just under 3 million.

Jessica Hart wrote:

It's more likely the toys didn't sell because there weren't many fans of it.

There are a lot of fans of it. (Why do you keep denying that, like it's a personal upfront to you? Even if you think there are more Ben 10 fans. Are you somehow offended that there could be a lot of fans for something you don't like? Hmmmm? Razz ) Those toys were just not the toys those fans would typically buy.
MisterH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:36 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
blahblahblahnonsenseBS

It's because of idiotic rants like yours that so many people roll their eyes at feminists. But, by all means, keep raging. Maybe you would be happiest finding your Amazonian village and becoming a lesbian. Give it a try, and don't hurry back.

By all means point out what was so idiotic and we can discuss where you went wrong with your interpretation.

The part where you're a feminist, which implies you endorse equality, yet you hypocritically see men as inferior or unworthy of your attention.
I could be wrong of course, but it still goes to show how easy it is to read gender bias into anything and everything.

Last edited by MisterH on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Growing up I could never connect to Wonder Woman because as a little girl I couldn't really understand all her hate of men, and she was always so serious and, well, just seemed mean. Instead I latched onto the likes of She-Ra, Batgirl, Sailor Moon, and heck, why not say it; Xena. I never looked back at Wonder Woman until recently because I always felt that Western Superhero comics failed me in femininity compared to the Japanese creations done by women (I'll keep Sailor Moon a prime example of this).

Now when I read Wonder Woman I can't help but feel I should have given her another try when I was in my teens and still developing ideas of what feminism is because in my 20 my ideas seem too concrete and not at all budging for what Wonder Woman represents. I'm sure they'll evolve over time as anything else, but I don't think they'll lean towards Wonder Woman.

I don't think Wonder Woman was meant to represent hatred of men (although her creator didn't think highly of his own gender), but rather the violence that William Moulton Marston thought men represented. I think that got muddled for awhile there and she's never really recovered from it in some people's eyes. Greg Rucka's run on the series tried to deal with it a bit, but I don't know how well that was received. In the reprint collections from the 1988 reboot, the introduction commented that not many men feel comfortable writing her, or even know where to begin. Whether this is a gender issue or more the product of her original creator's values I don't know. But she certainly has a troubled authorial history, two good books about which are here and here. (Neither are all that academic, but they're interesting.)

I also preferred She-Ra to Wonder Woman and didn't really start to explore American comics heroines until college when I was writing my thesis on Japanese super heroines. I still prefer the magical girl to the costumed superhero, but I think that if nothing else Wonder Woman can show us the start of a movement in American comics that perhaps ultimately failed. Mary Marvel was created to look like Judy Garland and to encompass her perceived sweetness and Supergirl first showed up in a purple spaceship and happily took backseat to Superman. Which DC girls have their own series right now? Wonder Woman, Power Girl, Zatanna, Birds of Prey, Supergirl...I'm probably missing a bunch, but the men certainly outnumber them. As has been said before in this thread, the American comics market is a boys' club. I'm sure I'm not the only female to get leers and weird looks walking into a new comic shop for the first time. Rolling Eyes

All that said, whatever the school of psychology behind this book, it is a topic worthy of exploration. Even Freud has his place in the scheme of things, even if it's only to be discredited.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I always wondered if there was some sort of symbolic significance that Sailor Moon, an adolescent, was fighting the sexually mature Queen Beryl. I didn't think about it much until I watched the first episode of Cutie Honey, where a similarly-aged protagonist fights similarly mature women. And as I pointed out in my review, The Strike Witches lose their powers at age 20, just like members of Morning Musume. What is it about being a teenage girl that is symbolically magical in Japan? I think this book contains some Freudian explanation that I've been looking for. American fighting girls, like Wonder Woman, are more often the mature type.

I don't think there's much to it, Sailor Moon was an adolescent because you can do school age stories. I don't think Sailor Moon would have been as popular if it was about a group of adult woman like having Sailor Moon be a mother, and Sailor Jupiter be an office lady. As for Beryl, the type of villains that Sailor Moon had where not all the same (Death Phantom, and Pharaoh 90 for example).

I mean I can't imagine Takeuchi was saying anything by having the Sailor Starlights be women pretending to be a boy band.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of American comics being a boys' club, what sort of demographics does Archie pull in? It seems to be more girl-oriented than most other, if not all other mainstream comics, and it sells very well. The thing is that the marketing and distribution for Archie distances itself away from traditional superhero comics (despite Archie Comics making such stories).

I also remember seeing a documentary on the Discovery Channel about comic book authors and their reactions to the Civil Rights Movement: When the racial side of the movement was completed, we saw an upsurge of minority superheroes (you can see this best in Superfriends, when they introduced Black Lightning, Apache Chief, and Samurai during one season). They were stereotypes and poorly characterized, but they were represented. However, the show argues that the feminist side of the movement was not met quite so positively; the men grew more masculine (smaller heads, larger muscles) while the women became bustier and curvier. Some comic book historians and scholars they interviewed said that while the publishers were interested in selling to men of other races than white, the artists and writers started feeling threatened and deliberately retreated inwards in their gender views.

And seeing cover art from even the 1960s to the 70s, there WAS this weird sudden jump. I believe this preceded the Comics Code Authority's loss of power, let alone its collapse.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Oh yeah, I agree. I didn't mean to give off this impression, it's just in the example of Wonder Woman, her creator just... disgusts me. There's plenty of women characters I LOVE created by men, and feminist ones can be created by men, there's no doubt to me about that - I see it all the time, but Wonder Woman... She's always been this weird bizarre creature to me. I want to love her, but in a way she's so tragic, trying to represent so much when really it's all based on this one man's theories on female strength and domination to the point she just becomes a walking talking theory and nothing more. Feminism of course has many interpretations, but Wonder Woman fails from the get go by outright defining them via her creator.

I think you're being a little harsh on Marston. While I do agree with you that he created the series more as a way to espouse his political and social philosophies, it is also why his run of the series is so fascinating to read, if not as entertainment but more for comics-as-personal-essay. In an era where "auteurship" was unheard of in comics, Marston's run on WW stands out.

The downside of this of course as you implied is that she's basically completely unfeasible for anyone else to write. Many writers have taken a crack at writing her and failed, because so much of the original series was based on Marston's theorizing.

For the record, I enjoy Golden Age WW far more than Golden Age Superman, and even Golden Age Batman. None of them had great characterizations or stories, but the added subtext in WW made it more fascinating. Even if I thought Marston was a bit of a crackpot. Wink
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

I've read a few interview blogs/posts about some would-be animators who pitched their ideas to big networks like Nickelodoen and Cartoon Network. They were literally told that 'girls don't sell' and if they wanted their show greenlit they'd be forced to change the lead into a boy. Confused That's a bit depressing to know... I guess that's why all the cartoons on TV star a boy unless it's Barbie or based on a doll line. I guess those are okay since they know Barbie sells.

I'm not surprised. And I feel like girl-centric shows that do get greenlit, like Kim Possible, had to jump through a number of "focus group" hoops until what was left of the character was probably a shell of what she originally might have been. Over here, there are just too many people involved with a show's creative direction. I'm sure it happens in anime as well, but I often get the feeling that they're just given certain prerequisite guidelines and have some flexibility to go do anything from there. This is how certain kids' anime can veer off into weird directions despite having some of the most generic original concepts.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, in regards to toys, Japan does seem to be completely on the ball with it. The whole Nendoroid line consists 99% of females (there's Hideyoshi and Light Yagami/Ryuk figures as well) who are all famous and iconic in the anime and manga scene, even if they're not action girls who need action figures (like Chris from Steins Gate, Kirino and Kuroneko from Oreimo, and etc) Then you got non-chibi high quality PVC figures for a lot of series. I have two cute little Katja and Hana figures on my bookshelf right now in a fairly questionable pose

I do not think America is completely sexist when they say 'girls don't sell', if they honestly though they could make cash doing something they would jump on a bandwagon and completely milk it for all it's worth in a heartbeat. So I do genuinely believe them if they say that female figures do not sell. They have marketers researching this stuff all the time.

I've noticed the comic book scene does have the bulk of figures I see for American characters. DC and Marvel have various figurines of character who've never appeared in the cartoons or movies, and the quality isn't that shabby either so it's not like some throwaway kid's toy. Mostly male, but some females sprinkled around there. I have noticed the real high-end figures (like 1/6 scale Hot Toys figures) are all of the movie characters, though. Bayle's Batman, Downy Jr's Iron Man, etc) So it seems the movies trump the comics in that regard. Seems like the market in America is much smaller for figures, and cartoons are on the bottom totem pole. Cartoon figures here are for kids to play with, not really collect and display. Those 1/6th scale figures are the ones for adults since they are for displaying and not playing, but they seem limited to the movie-versions of the characters... and I don't think I've seen a female one of those yet. The only females I saw were of the two Sucker Punch girls, so it seems more of a movie thing than a cartoon thing. In terms of 'mass marketing females' Japan has got that capitalized.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I do not think America is completely sexist when they say 'girls don't sell', if they honestly though they could make cash doing something they would jump on a bandwagon and completely milk it for all it's worth in a heartbeat. So I do genuinely believe them if they say that female figures do not sell. They have marketers researching this stuff all the time.

Well, if by "America" you mean "Corporate America" then you are right. They simply go where the money trail is. The question rather is if it is us, the consumers, who are unable to accept a female hero. I'd like to think we can, it's just that every female creation that gets greenlit is a shadow of its former self by the time it's off the factory line. A male hero does not get nearly the same degree of executive scrutiny, thus they're more able to retain unique, non-politicised characteristics that would interest the average consumer. It's a catch-22. Girls don't sell, but when you finally greenlight one that you think can, it's only after you've drained the character of any individualistic quality she ever had.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Part of the reason the toys didn't sell as well as they'd hoped, I think, was because half of the character set was missing, i.e., the girls (and girls weren't the only ones who wanted Katara and Toph and Azula).

The argument re: Katara has merit, and even the companies said so. The arguments re: Toph & Azula do not. (And I am a huge Toph Bei Fong fan) The A:tLA toys came out in 2006 (during Season 2). The line was cancelled before release of anything that would have included season 2 or 3. (also, apparently Katara was released as a plush doll and was included in the Lego(?!?) set that I was not even aware existed until now)

While I realize Shee-Ra has been mentioned, I'm surprised she hasn't gotten MORE comments seeing as she was the "female He-Man" (much more directly than Wonder Woman was a female equivalent for Superman or Batman or whatever). Also, I know GIJoe was a "boys" show and had lots of dudes, but no love for Scarlet or Lady Jay? Both of whom were major characters during the run of the show (and had their own action figures).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Well, if by "America" you mean "Corporate America" then you are right. They simply go where the money trail is. The question rather is if it is us, the consumers, who are unable to accept a female hero. I'd like to think we can, it's just that every female creation that gets greenlit is a shadow of its former self by the time it's off the factory line. A male hero does not get nearly the same degree of executive scrutiny, thus they're more able to retain unique, non-politicised characteristics that would interest the average consumer. It's a catch-22. Girls don't sell, but when you finally greenlight one that you think can, it's only after you've drained the character of any individualistic quality she ever had.

Yeah, I'd probably blame the consumer and public more than the companies. Remember, animation in the west and it's seen as a 'kid's only' thing to the majority of people, so advocating this 'equality' thing is kind of met with a "But it's a show for little kids, who cares" attitude. You might need them to treat animation as more than just a vehicle to sell toys before you can attempt any kind of noticeable female characters. Or rather, worry about making animation more viable first and then worry about the female thing second. Don't try to skip ahead, because the west are a lot farther back than Japan when it comes to it; you can't just skip straight to this step. Otherwise you get shows that take the 'girl power' thing to the extreme maximum and just ruins the whole thing. Avatar kind of did that in the first season with Katara and it was horrible.

HeeroTX wrote:
While I realize Shee-Ra has been mentioned, I'm surprised she hasn't gotten MORE comments seeing as she was the "female He-Man" (much more directly than Wonder Woman was a female equivalent for Superman or Batman or whatever). Also, I know GIJoe was a "boys" show and had lots of dudes, but no love for Scarlet or Lady Jay? Both of whom were major characters during the run of the show (and had their own action figures).

That seems more common with comic books than cartoons in general. Just take a male character, slap some boobs on him, and say it's a new character (most likely a sidekick to the original male version). Batgirl and Supergirl for Batman and Superman and so forth. She-Ra is the only non comic one I can think of, really.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
So has anyone of you read the reviewed book? If you did, what's your take on it?
insert name here

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
So has anyone of you read the reviewed book? If you did, what's your take on it?

I read this fairly recently and am glad to see it being discussed here. I've also been studying a bit of Lacan lately in my spare time, so when I happened upon this book, the confluence of interests (anime and Lacanian psychoanalysis) made reading it a no-brainer. I don't have the book with me (I returned it to the library), and I can't claim a mastery over Lacan's ideas, but I'll try to cover a couple of the books points.

But before that I'd like to note that Saito's is working from a Lacanian perspective, not a Freudian one. While Lacan did claim to be a Freudian himself, and certainly inherited some of Freud's phallogocentrism, there are some key differences. For Lacan, the phallus is a signifier, he reserves the term penis for the biological organ, whereas Freud more often conflated the two. He also utilizes an number of other terms esoterically. For instance "perversion" is not used here in any moralistic sense in fact you rarely find this in Lacan. On a side note, I think it is Lacan's agnostic attitude toward notions of reality and morality, an outgrowth of his convictions regarding the ethics of analytical practice, that has been the key to his endurance. I mention this, since in some reviews I've seen and in some comments here, people seem to jump right to Freud, and often misinterpret Saito's general message due to a misunderstanding of his terminology.

Lacan represented the topography of human mental life with a borromean knot tied between what he termed the Real, the Imaginary, and the Symbolic. The Real is that which resists symbolization totally. The symbolic belongs to the order of language. In the Imaginary, the emphasis is on image, and it relates to our experience of the world. The Imaginary is structured by the symbolic, as Slavoj Zizek explained:

Quote:
"In one of the Marx brothers' films, Groucho Marx, when caught in a lie, answers angrily: "Whom do you believe, your eyes or my words?"

This apparently absurd logic renders perfectly the functioning of the symbolic order, in which the symbolic mask-mandate matters more than the direct reality of the individual who wears this mask and/or assumes this mandate. This functioning involves the structure of fetishist disavowal: "I know very well that things are the way I see them /that this person is a corrupt weakling, but I nonetheless treat him respectfully, since he wears the insignia of a judge, so that when he speaks, it is the Law itself which speaks through him". So, in a way, I effectively believe his words, not my eyes, i.e. I believe in Another Space (the domain of pure symbolic authority) which matters more than the reality of its spokesmen. The cynical reduction to reality thus falls short: when a judge speaks, there is in a way more truth in his words (the words of the Institution of law) than in the direct reality of the person of judge - if one limits oneself to what one sees, one simply misses the point."

Somewhere in the book Saito says something along the lines of paraphrasing "I consider reality itself to be itself a form of fiction." What he means is that our understanding and perception of the world is structured by larger forces, for instance language itself, and so the statement "otaku should grow up and return to reality" is effectively meaningless.

If I understood Saito's argument correctly, the BFG's fascination derives from her complete lack of any base for existence. Her unreality is derived from lack of trauma both in her and behind her reason for fighting. Yet the Otaku is able to invest in this image due to the disruptive charge given to it by the element of sexuality. Because of all this, the BFG inhabits an autonomous sphere of desire, and is able to become pure phallus (I suspect the phallus operates here as the signifier of Jouissance) and through her fighting she exhibit Jouissance (which, if I understand correctly is, for us, an unreachable horizon of pleasure, that is given up to enter into the order of language). Since I don't have the book handy, I'm going to resist the temptation to interpret more of the text from memory.

This is one of the best books on the subject of Japanese pop culture that I've encountered. The introduction relating Saito's ideas about Otaku sexuality to Queer theory is almost as enlightening as the best parts of the book itself. The book meanders a bit in the middle, but it's short enough overall that it never taxes your patience. And I found that having a cursory familiarity with some of the basic ideas made reading it a breeze. I hope someone bothers to translate more of his work into english, I understand he's done some pioneering work in the subject of hikikomori. Apparently he's the one who coined the term.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5