• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atlus U.S.A.: Catherine Game Sells 200,000 in 1st Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder if the people who are saying "I'd play the game if it didn't have the lame block puzzles" actually understand what the puzzles are like. They are a lot deeper and more engaging than they appear at first. Even the demo only covers a few of the earliest puzzles that don't represent the variety and challenge the puzzles feature later.

I bought Catherine because I want to support Atlus and played on Easy the first time because I just wanted to see the story. Now I'm playing on Normal because I genuinely want to do the puzzles the way they were intended.
Otakukidd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I have to wonder if the people who are saying "I'd play the game if it didn't have the lame block puzzles" actually understand what the puzzles are like. They are a lot deeper and more engaging than they appear at first. Even the demo only covers a few of the earliest puzzles that don't represent the variety and challenge the puzzles feature later.

I bought Catherine because I want to support Atlus and played on Easy the first time because I just wanted to see the story. Now I'm playing on Normal because I genuinely want to do the puzzles the way they were intended.

I honestly just suck at some puzzles. If i need help I'll refer to youtube vids, I just don't get some of them and get really stuck. I should have went for Easy too, but meh Razz
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, what's with the outcry for Persona 5 to have adult characters as the leads instead of teens? I mean, it would be nice for a change (I too still need to play the second game), but as long as it's an awesome game - which I have no doubt it will be - I have no problem with playing teenagers in games.

Spotlesseden wrote:
Persona 5 starts office worker as the main character. SLs are your female bosses and other female workers. Of course, you meet other characters outside of the office too.

Hate to be 'that guy', but got any linkable proof? Not saying this out of skepticism really - I'm hardly on top of any news for that game so I'd be loving to get some on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Hate to be 'that guy', but got any linkable proof? Not saying this out of skepticism really - I'm hardly on top of any news for that game so I'd be loving to get some on it.

Pretty sure that was just a tongue-in-cheek idea for an "adult" P5.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what's with the outcry for Persona 5 to have adult characters as the leads instead of teens? I mean, it would be nice for a change (I too still need to play the second game), but as long as it's an awesome game - which I have no doubt it will be - I have no problem with playing teenagers in games.

My main problem with Persona (part 4, at least) is that it's not actually an awesome game... I primarily played it for the social links system, but at this point, I might as well go play Rune Factory 3 since it's less tedious and has a completely better engine for its social system (they essentially fused Animal Crossing with crack)...

(also, I much prefer the RPG battle mechanics of Atlus' Radiant Historia to Persona and I like Historia's overall game design a lot better... just wish it had those social links)

There is just a whole lot of grinding involved in Persona (even with "strategy", you still need to do this in order to fuse the broken personas that are immune to everything... and even then, some elemental attacks will be very strong, even when you block it, so you (or your teammates) need to at least survive the attack via stat upgrades when on the defense).

I'm still amazed that people actually consider Persona to be hard; they should like, go and play the original Ninja Gaiden or God Hand or something...

Or put Catherine on hard difficulty, which is an actual game.

So, essentially, what I'm saying is that I would like a new Persona, but one with actual gameplay that involved skill as opposed to long hours of grinding in order to inflate the game time counter... it'd probably be out of the question to have them make it like Catherine, but this would please me immensely.

Yes, Persona 4 made me salty: there was so much to like, but so much to hate at the same time (in particular, I can only feel like random dungeons is the ultimate laziness in design).

Leebo wrote:

I'm torn between whether or not I like this or Portal 2 better...

On one hand, Valve's engine for that game is like completely brilliant (you can tell that the puzzles went through a lot of play-testing in order to not be stupid), but on the other hand, Catherine has the kind of difficulty (for the most part; still pretty convinced that the mystery blocks were kinda dumb on hard difficulty) and game design that I really found refreshing...

Either way, I'm pretty satisfied that we've had interesting games like these this year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
According to VG Chartz:

Americas Top 10 30th July 2011

1 PS3 Catherine 98,317

4 X360 Catherine 53,242
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

I'm torn between whether or not I like this or Portal 2 better...

This was something I thought I'd never read. I'm sorry, but I'll just say that Portal (2) stands alone as a puzzle game, whereas Catherine had to be two completely different 'games' stitched together. The non-puzzle part actually resembles some of the later FMV games that presented the player with a choice and then played a little video followed by another choice, etc. I was laughing at how FMV gameplay still can find itself into games nowadays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4