• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:

The entire point of this 'rant' being, that manga companies need to have more faith in their fanbases. Do they really still think that everyone buying manga doesn't know what it is? Do we all need to be babied and have everything dumbed down, so our tiny American minds can understand what's going on in the series we read? Give us faithful translations, not bastardizations. We can figure out what '-chan' means, if you'd let us...

lol! Bastardization is quite the stretch there bud, and the answer to the second sentence is NO! The majority of people are still pretty damn clueless and are content with that! Unless a story carries many japanese cultural traits, instead of a "Faithful translation" (which would spend a paragraph explaining X trait of culture) it is easier and more accessible to the mainstream if it is localized. That's how it always has been. If you want authenticity, go learn japanese, and buy tankobans!
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
This week's Answerman didn't really do anything for me. Personally I'd prefer the Rant not have to be a rant at all (how about a rave?) and I think we could do without a "Flake of the Week;" we already have enough of those here in the forum already. It's the Q&A that I want to see more of.

Answerman wrote:

What I want are rants - or essays - or whatever you'd like to write, really (please don't get hung up on the dictionary definition of "rant" while you're writing) - that are about subjects OTHER than one ones listed above. I want well-thought out, careful writing. I want subjects we haven't covered a million times.

At least from the way I read the rules, it doesn't have to be a true "rant" but rather an essay on a topic. I would assume raves would be fine.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:26 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
lol! Bastardization is quite the stretch there bud, and the answer to the second sentence is NO! The majority of people are still pretty damn clueless and are content with that! Unless a story carries many japanese cultural traits, instead of a "Faithful translation" (which would spend a paragraph explaining X trait of culture) it is easier and more accessible to the mainstream if it is localized. That's how it always has been. If you want authenticity, go learn japanese, and buy tankobans!

I think bennyb has a very good point. No translation pleases everyone. If staying true to the original is that important to you, you really ought to read the original itself.

Last edited by Ai no Kareshi on Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote
THAANK you. I really don't think scanlations are so great either, I honestly hate when people leave things like "nii-san kaa-san" whatever in romaji when they have OBVIOUS english translations.

And props to Darkhorse for being so good! I buy all my Berserk from them, oh yes.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
Well, that's what I do myself when I read manga, after all. I read the original Japanese versions. This way, I'm not dependent on anyone else for a "faithful" translation. Razz
10円

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:21 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
At least from the way I read the rules, it doesn't have to be a true "rant" but rather an essay on a topic. I would assume raves would be fine.

Indeed, now it's just a matter of what we do with the new criteria.
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
Mirrinus wrote:
Actually, I am a registered Republican, and pretty socially conservative (although I'm moderate when it comes to economical politics). I simply don't bring up politics on a message board forum designed for anime unless I feel it is really pertinent, which isn't too often.

I wish more posters (on boards in general) had this kind of common sense, it really ruins a thread when someone attempts to push their side or bash the other. I have yet to find someone who changed their political beliefs because a message board told them to. Good thing for ANN the people posting here seem to have that common sense. Let's focus on our common ground, our love of anime. Wink
Neverwhere wrote:
I just can't since he seems to be under the misconception that the Mai-Hime manga is a 'very good series'. :/

That stood out to me too. I'm a big Hime fan, and even I couldn't stand the manga.

As for the rant, we've come a long way from the days of "HELF" or "destroying" people. If a name instead of "onii-chan" or a cross removed so to not piss people off if the worst of it, then that's just fine with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
I don't see why people are so obsessed with wanting to see anime movies in theaters, anyway. I personally hate going to the movies. It's annoying when people talk during the movie, especially on cellphones or when kids spoil the movie for you. I remember going to see The Lion King when it first came out in theaters years ago and there was a little girl who had already seen it and she was telling everything that was going to happen before it does. I'd rather not repeat that experience. The last time I went to the movies was to see the first Pirates Of The Caribbean movie and there was an obnoxious lady behind me talking on her cellphone the entire time and I couldn't concentrate on the movie at all which really ruined the experience for me. Then you have people getting up during the middle of the movie to get snacks or for a bathroom break which can be really distracting, and I don't even want to think about watching subtitled movies with some tall guy sitting in front of you.

Besides, when you go to the movies with a family of four, by the time you spend all your money on the tickets, snacks, and drinks, it ends up costing more than it does to buy an anime DVD. I'd rather just wait for the movie to be released on DVD and watch it in the privacy of my own room. But yeah, anime just isn't popular enough for wide theatrical releases of anime outside of popular episodic children's anime that doesn't require much thinking to enjoy like Pokemon and Yugioh that also have big merchandising franchises to back them up. I don't see why they need to continue CCS, either. I thought the series ended perfectly. All the storylines and love triangles have been wrapped up and everyone was pretty evenly fleshed out. There's just nothing left to do with it other than to drag it out for the sake of continuity and most sequels end up sucking, anyway. I'd rather stick with the ending we have now than see my favorite Clamp series be destroyed by an unnecessary sequel. The fact that anime series actually end is one of those things I like about anime, anyway. Please people, if you want to see your favorite series continued, at least give a logical reason why it should be other than it's your favorite series. I hate it when people whine about a show ending and don't even give a reason why they want it to continue.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
I never thought about that political question before...personally, I like the libertarian ideas.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
If the manga compainies gave out faithful translations the manga compainies would make as not much money as its do. Reading manga is already niche enough and giving faithful translations to manga would only made manga compaines lose money in the long run. Keep in mind that manga compaines are not catering to you and there are in the business to make money. There are not there to do worthless fanservice to fans. In the long they are there to expand the audicences of manga and therefore making more money for them.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Neverwhere wrote:
I think we all feel frustrated by the publishing company's very real need to accomidate as many readers as possible, both the hard core fans who wish they could read it in japanese and the novices who have no idea what manga is but like comics and enjoy a good story.

The really fun thing is when you actually *can* read Japanese and don't have to worry about this type of thing one way or the other. Anime smile

Just to be clear, in my last paragraph I *did* say I read the originals, but I also like to support the english releases as well, because I want the publishers to do well and give everyone a chance to read great manga. Smile
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Dark Horse needs some love - they do an excellent job in very faithfully translating a localizing manga. But another publisher that needs a spotlight is Vertical - because they are bringing out older but very high quality manga that certainly deserves to be published here like Osamu Tezuka's Buddha or Ode to Kirihito, or Keiko Takemiya's To Terra.

I find it interesting that just the mere mentioning of lolicon will start a lolicon debate Razz (And that's all I'll say about it...)
MsCongeniality

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Okay, I admit it, I didn't make it all the way through this week's rant but I'm going to comment on it anyway.

I started out fine, if not nodding along, then at least not shaking my head in bemusement or annoyance as I have with so many previous rants. When I got to the sentence on Ikki Tousen/Battle Vixens and Keith Giffen, however, I completely derailed. The attitude of 'I don't know who this guy is, therefore he can't possibly be worth anything' is one that has always bothered me, no matter what forum it is presented in, and I could not read the rest of the essay without having my perceptions colored by it.

You can say what you will, you can call me an Old School Comics Geek or even a Blue Beetle fangirl.* I guarantee, however, that there were enough people who, like me, stopped in the store and picked up a copy of the book saying to themselves 'Well, this isn't my usual fare, but if Keith Giffen worked on it then I might give it a chance' to more than make up for any problems the ranter might have with the arrangement. Believe it or not, American comics and manga do have a crossover audience.

The bottom line is, localization improves story comprehension and, by extension, manga sales regardless of who is responsible for it.

*Which I totally am, and Ted was never written half as well as he was under Giffen/DeMatteis.[/b]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
MsCongeniality wrote:
You can say what you will, you can call me an Old School Comics Geek or even a Blue Beetle fangirl.* I guarantee, however, that there were enough people who, like me, stopped in the store and picked up a copy of the book saying to themselves 'Well, this isn't my usual fare, but if Keith Giffen worked on it then I might give it a chance' to more than make up for any problems the ranter might have with the arrangement. Believe it or not, American comics and manga do have a crossover audience.

Query: Did you find that you LIKED Ikkitousen/Battle Vixens? I mean, it's fairly unlike Blue Beetle at ANY phase of it's run, and in this instance I think you are better served by pushing to your niche (manga fans) rather than giving another NICHE (comic fans) a reason to "take a peek". I like Ted Kord's Blue Beetle as much as the next guy (the compressed air gun was an interesting concept), but really aiming for the comic niche at the risk of alienating the manga niche seems pointless.

Assuming you get EQUAL trade, say 5 manga fans blow you off over the concept and 5 comic fans pick you up out of curiosity, it's a net loss, since the 5 manga fans will likely buy the full run since they know what they're getting whereas you'd be incredibly lucky if all 5 comic fans stay on board. Now, I'd assume the actual numbers are not 1-for-1, but really, the comic niche AIN'T that big. If you're aiming for "mainstream", that's one thing, aiming for another small niche is something else altogether.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Hmm, good rant or no rant at all. I think that's a great idea Smile Lets hope no one starts to argue what a good rant is and what isn't haha Anime hyper

Yess... the leopards are adorable!!! and your new banner is cute too!

Films: Hmm, that makes sense that most anime feature films are not produced if it costs that much. Advertising can make or break a company so I can understand that Sad It makes me wonder when the popularity of anime will be so great to be able to regularly feature films that produce box office numbers (besides Disney and Sony pushes). Maybe only then we can expect to watch our favorite films on the big screen!

Of course, the market there is also declining. Most films come out on DVD after 6 months. Home theaters are on the rise. Many families are preferring to stay at home in comfort than go to a theater where it costs a helluva lot more to see what they want and be restricted to a tiny airplane seat. Oh, and no outside food allowed Smile

Astroturfing: Wow I didn't know they had a term coined for that. It must be common. (quote Broken Arrow: "I don't know what's scarier - losing nuclear weapons or that it happens so often that we have a name for it.") Hmm, very sneaky and evil! Very Happy

Voice Actors: Hmm, this brings up a question. Does that mean these voice actors get paid for making appearances? I imagine they do, but I'm not sure.

Flake: Well.. can't blame a guy for trying... or can we? Shocked

Astroturfing isn't only done with anime--EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) did an article on it recently. Sony did it, Exxon did it (against 'An Inconvenient Truth'), Wal*Mart did it (guy road-tripping along the US, stopping at Wal*Mart's along the way)...it's publicity.

It comes with the animosity that the Internet has. Go figure. All we can do is hope that Mikuru Asahina's work can steal all the people back from the Wal*Mart that opened up a year ago.

lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10