• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
And Jeers to flaking and discriminating against people who just want to have fun with names. It's no one's place to tell you what to define your life around, and if it's anime, more power to you. Neko-chan, remember that all they have are numbers and loud voices. The power and the glory are yours. I say throw it back at them. Learn how to insult cuttingly and make fun of the norms. After all, you're far more right than they are.
For once, I agree with Steroid. I can see why using Wapanese phrases and honorifics around people who hate them can be obnoxious and rude, but if you're just doing it with your friends, who really cares? I love people's double standards when it comes to this thing. Whenever anime fans start speaking random Japanese phrases in their sentences it's considered annoying and stupid yet when the Japanese speak random Engrish phrases everyone thinks it's cool and half of the time the Japanese don't even bother to pronounce the English correctly. Rolling Eyes They even use Engrish in J-pop music and attack names in anime. At least you don't see people doing that with Wapanese phrases. Like I said, as long as you're just speaking the random Wapanese phrases around your friends, who cares? It's their friends, not yours. If you don't like it, you don't have to hang out with them. I'm sure there's lots of quirky and annoying things that you do that we could make fun of but you don't see us making fun of you for it, do you?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
About the whole innocent female question, fans love that sterotype. Not all females are like that. Wishing something like that to happen is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Still, life is different from anime. Then again, anything from the media is protrayed differently from life. This is why I love watching shows that has imperfect characters than perfect characters. Well, the link that Zac provided really adds to my data that I'm currently interested in researching.

To the ranter, I understand about that. There are plenty of shows I would recconmend to the newer generation of anime fans, but things go out of print. It goes the same with American shows and less famous films. However, many of the fans rather be watching newer stuff. Not all the time, but some do, some don't. Anyways, it's sad that it goes out of print, but that's how things work out in video market. Personally, I watch whatever appeals to me, no matter how new or old!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
With regards to Beyblade, I cannot believe anyone would actually find the show good enough to watch, let alone get the dvds!

About your comment, I thought that the show was okay and pretty exciting.

I wouldn't say it was the best show, but because there are mostly kid's action anime shows in YTV(the main children/teens channel in Canada), I sat through the three season and found it okay, with their background rock songs of how "Beyblades keep spinning!" and how "They're the underdogs!"
(Those are actually the lyrics in english dub Beyblade...)
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
[quote="ikillchicken"]
Eruanna wrote:

The Flake:

Ug...Its people like that that really kill me. Firstly, people who use Japanese word or prases are just so incredibly lame its not even funny. Even worse though are people like that who go around doing something like that that makes em look like a complete loser, but then they don't get why people make fun of em. Its just like the Naruto Otakin kid from a few weeks ago. If youre gonna be this lame fine, but at least realize that you are a loser and everyone is gonna make fun of you.

It's probably annoying because it's in public and that they're portraying a stereotype
But then again, the same could also be said about people acting all ghetto and gangster.
As well as people acting emo... etc.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
How dare you!

Spongebob Squarepants is an accurate representation of the American economy as it interacts with imaginary aquatic cleaning devices and animals.

The Japanese would learn lots from it. D:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Steroid wrote:
And Jeers to flaking and discriminating against people who just want to have fun with names. It's no one's place to tell you what to define your life around, and if it's anime, more power to you. Neko-chan, remember that all they have are numbers and loud voices. The power and the glory are yours. I say throw it back at them. Learn how to insult cuttingly and make fun of the norms. After all, you're far more right than they are.
For once, I agree with Steroid. I can see why using Wapanese phrases and honorifics around people who hate them can be obnoxious and rude, but if you're just doing it with your friends, who really cares? I love people's double standards when it comes to this thing. Whenever anime fans start speaking random Japanese phrases in their sentences it's considered annoying and stupid yet when the Japanese speak random Engrish phrases everyone thinks it's cool and half of the time the Japanese don't even bother to pronounce the English correctly. Rolling Eyes They even use Engrish in J-pop music and attack names in anime. At least you don't see people doing that with Wapanese phrases. Like I said, as long as you're just speaking the random Wapanese phrases around your friends, who cares? It's their friends, not yours. If you don't like it, you don't have to hang out with them. I'm sure there's lots of quirky and annoying things that you do that we could make fun of but you don't see us making fun of you for it, do you?

I've seen J-rap and J-pop videos that do use English phrases (Home Made Kazoku, FLOW, nobodyknows+), but I think that they use it in a normal tone as well as make it flow with their rhymes.

Whereas I see people use some Japanese phrases in a weird tone. For example, some girl say "kawai!" in a high-pitched anime girl tone.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Great column as always; made my Friday morning and first cup of coffee a little brighter.

I don't have much to add, just with the rant. I'm a fan of a lot of the older animation, focusing a lot on the 1980s because of its diversity of programming and technical look and feel, but ironically, because there is a plethora of sci-fi and mecha stories, which have always interested me. I still keep tabs on some of the newer titles, but the evolution of Japanese fandom and their accompanying demands changing, much of the stuff aimed at this otaku market just doesn't interest me. You can see some of this change in some of the remakes, since Bubblegum Crisis has been mentioned. The original OAV and the 2040 TV series have a black and white different feel to them, not just in animation and some of the characterizations, but in a series driven by music, those changes stand out just as much. Even though Bubblegum Crash is cited as a horrible attempt at a sequel for Crisis, I think 2040 was on the whole, a lot worse than Crash.

Accessibility to a lot of older (I guess we could lump them all as "classics") titles can be an issue, if only shopping from traditional brick and motar stores. I've been able to find most everything online in some form or fashion. But I think, if I may go off on a tangent, the loss of the traditional anime club has hurt a lot of availability for classic titles. As someone who has been active in various positions of clubs (anime and otherwise), I can understand a lot of people's reservations when it comes to joining one but at the same time, what you sacrifice is the diversity that a club can afford you. When I ran an anime club in High School, we tried to get as much diversity as we could from as many genres and time periods possible, even at times resorting to raw Japanese video cassettes. I've not been in a true anime club since I graduated High School but from the occasional thread about clubs that pops up across the couple of forums I visit regularly, striving for diversity of viewing material seems to have gone to the wayside. Things that are popular on BitTorrent fansubs are generally what's new and what's hot and even many classics available generate nowhere near the amount of traffic that many of these newer shows generate. Only a handful of dedicated groups concentrate on putting classic series out on the wire, where as shows like Naruto or Bleach routinely had multiple groups subbing their own episodes.

I don't know, and I hate to insinuate that I'm sitting in some Ivory Tower, but are todays modern fans even remotely interested in checking out classic or older titles? If you are, there are titles available, but you'll end up doing a lot of stuff online - finding reviews, posing questions, Netflix rentals, and online purchasing.
astroasis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else read that rant and think it could've been just as easily summed up as:

"OMG 'Full House' isn't on primetime anymore?!?!"

And as for the Flake... Well, that's not much of a Flake. Really, what business is it of anyone else's what you choose to call your friends? When I was in high school, my friends and I had new nicknames for each other every other month practically. I once spent an entire semester calling one of my friends "Cheetoh" just because... I felt like it. She didn't even like Cheetohs. Yes, it was stupid. Yes, it made no sense. Still... we were stupid young kids and who were we hurting? No one. So I don't care if that girl's friends want to call her Neko-chan or Harold or Martian From The Planet Zoid - that's their prerogative and they have every right to do it.

And as for English-speaking people using Japanese words or phrases... Have any of you people SEEN the massacre of English language that the Japanese public engages in on a normal basis? I guarantee you for every Otaku going "Kawaii!" in a US mall, there's at least 2 people in Japan going "Let's alcohol! Yeah!" or singing "Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra" at Christmastime. I mean, let's get some perspective here. We all butcher languages we're not fluent in, just as the people who speak those languages probably butcher ours.

(Note: I'm not saying ALL Japanese people butcher English... but let's be honest, not all US people butcher Japanese, either)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
(Though I imagine they're mostly men.)

I don't know why they'd have to be men,
Just basing my response on personal knowledge given my status as a 24ish virgin male who has never even had a date. Crying or Very sad

Considering what Aiken no Anko wrote, maybe I should move to Sweden.

Steroid wrote:
Jeers to not releasing kid shows uncut and subbed. I'm not saying to actually press out a run of ten thousand and get them into the stores, but would it be so hard to take the translation, turn it into a sub file, make a master, and then sell copies online? I can't imagine it would take too many to defray the costs of making that master. I'm not interested in Beyblade, but I *would* have liked to see Pokemon subtitled, if for no other reason than to become familiar with the proper names for the characters. But if I wanted to see Beyblade in a manner that's A)uncut, B)possessed of the original audio, C)translated and D)legal, and I was willing to pay any price, it would still not be possible. Physically possible, but not economically possible. And that should never happen.
Dear Lord, I think Steroid is making sense! Wink

That actually sounds like something that might be feasible. If nothing else, it would probably cost less than a proper DVD release. Maybe combine this idea with the Ranter's desire to see classic anime made available to the masses. Putting anime that's already got everything (dub, sub, uncut, etc.) online would have to be even cheaper than making the uncut version of kids' shows available.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Moros wrote:
We must remember that Anime is an entertainment medium, and some fanboys just like having their private (but disgusting) fantasies "entertained", for lack of a better word.

Which is what I think is what some people fail to see over here, because they probably are not informed enough about the Japanese otaku movement.

Yeah, I agree. These fantasies of the stereotypical female is no more or no less fanservice that yoai, yuri, shonen/shoujo ai.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
As one who lived in Japan for nine years and was in the Japanese school system for eight, I must reply to the following:

BankaiSeikei wrote:
The fact is that most Japanese women don't date, and most men don't even date in high school. Dating typically begins in college, because that's when they have succeeded in their parents eyes.

Okay, I knew about five different couples in my middle school grade of about 120 people, and just two couples in my high school class in a grade of 470 students. I got into high school, within the first week, there was already a couple in my class, and they stayed together for the next three years until graduation.

Quote:
Women and Men actually in high school sit on separate sides of the classroom. One half of the room is made up of all guys and the other half would be all women. So imagine segregation of the sexes. In fact it's pretty much considered to forbidden to cross to the opposites sex. In most instances when a person of the opposite sex crosses to the other side, it's because of it's club related and it cannot wait.

The only time that happened in my class was when we were taking exams, because the role call had it so that all the boys' names came first, and then the girls' names. Other than that, we were mingled in together. I think that eliminates your "crossing" right there. All the guys at some point would be talking to the seven girls in my class at some point.

Quote:
Did you know that in a Japanese High School it's not uncommon to see a guy sitting on another guys lap. In fact they give massages to each other, while we find that "GAY", the Japanese find it normal.

Yes, that happened.

Quote:
When you hold hands in Japan with a person of the opposite sex, it means that they're more then friends. My friends that went to Japan in high school, said that people would stare at them if they hugged someone of the opposite sex, and that person had found it very awkward to hug someone of the opposite sex. It's considered a big no no, unless you're dating and it's serious.

True.

Quote:
So I don't believe that statistic is true for for Japanese women not being virgins.

In a sense, most of them would, with exceptions. Before I got out of high school two people I knew from middle school became moms.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I must chime in to say that's easily the best Answerman banner yet, IMHO.
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
But I think, if I may go off on a tangent, the loss of the traditional anime club has hurt a lot of availability for classic titles. As someone who has been active in various positions of clubs (anime and otherwise), I can understand a lot of people's reservations when it comes to joining one but at the same time, what you sacrifice is the diversity that a club can afford you. When I ran an anime club in High School, we tried to get as much diversity as we could from as many genres and time periods possible, even at times resorting to raw Japanese video cassettes. I've not been in a true anime club since I graduated High School but from the occasional thread about clubs that pops up across the couple of forums I visit regularly, striving for diversity of viewing material seems to have gone to the wayside. Things that are popular on BitTorrent fansubs are generally what's new and what's hot and even many classics available generate nowhere near the amount of traffic that many of these newer shows generate. Only a handful of dedicated groups concentrate on putting classic series out on the wire, where as shows like Naruto or Bleach routinely had multiple groups subbing their own episodes.

Speaking from my own experience as as someone in his mid-30s who helps select the programming for a university anime club, the problem you run into is that club membership has been on the decline as the availability of anime through other sources (DVDs, TV, fansubs) increases. Once your membership starts looking shaky, it's harder to take chances in programming, and unfortunately our membership hasn't shown much interest in older series as a regular thing. In my case, at least, it's not a matter of not wanting to strive for diversity as being uncertain about how the club would fare if we overdid it. (Also, we're not really set up to show from VHS any more, so we're partially constrained by the above-mentioned availability of material in digital formats.)

I think the "The Golden Age of X is 12" factor is also at work here--that is, the way a medium was when you first really got into it is what you imprint on and subconsciously think it should be like. The first anime I seriously got into as anime was Robotech, so I have an innate comfort with mid-'80s character designs and animation techniques; while I can watch and enjoy older series, it doesn't have the same sense of "rightness" to it. For this reason, I can't entirely blame fans who got into anime in the last decade for not feeling instantly comfortable with series from 20 or 30 years ago. (I can blame those who aren't willing to try them at all, however, but that's not quite the same issue.)
juntha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I used to wait impatiently to read the next Hey, Answerman ! every weeks. It's not the case anymore. The column was instructive and sometime smart.

Then the Flake of the Week section showed up.
It was slightly amusing at the beginning with some ignorant remarks that actually needed to be corrected.

Nowadays ? this is just a justification to make some rather nasty and condescending remarks about everything and everyone.

In a more general way, the whole column recently seems to go that way too. I have absolutely no more patience or pleasure in reading that thing trying to dig through tons of smartass remarks that amuses only its writer and humiliate anyone asking questions.

Rant Rant Rant! is the final nail of the coffin.

Zac should get back to the good job he was doing initially and remember that not everyone know everything about animation. If it's too hard to answer what he probably considers 'stupid' questions, then he shouldn't answer them. That will spare us a waste of time reading constant condescending remarks.

Evil or Very Mad
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
juntha wrote:
I used to wait impatiently to read the next Hey, Answerman ! every weeks. It's not the case anymore. The column was instructive and sometime smart.

Then the Flake of the Week section showed up.
It was slightly amusing at the beginning with some ignorant remarks that actually needed to be corrected.

Nowadays ? this is just a justification to make some rather nasty and condescending remarks about everything and everyone.

In a more general way, the whole column recently seems to go that way too. I have absolutely no more patience or pleasure in reading that thing trying to dig through tons of smartass remarks that amuses only its writer and humiliate anyone asking questions.

Rant Rant Rant! is the final nail of the coffin.

Zac should get back to the good job he was doing initially and remember that not everyone know everything about animation. If it's too hard to answer what he probably considers 'stupid' questions, then he shouldn't answer them. That will spare us a waste of time reading constant condescending remarks.

Evil or Very Mad

Hyperbolic much?

I'm not condescending to "everything and everyone". That's ridiculous. Am I opinionated? Yes. Am I sometimes snarky? Of course.

But you'd have to be seriously sensitive to be actually insulted or whatever by what I say.

I doubt I'm only amusing myself. The number of positive comments I get on the column far outweigh the negatives.

What kind of questions would you rather I answer? Do you want me to go back to this:

Quote:

Dear Answerman,
Is there going to be any more outlaw star

No.

Because I'm not going to do that.

And I fail to see how the rants are the "final nail in the coffin" when all it is is a space for people to say what they want without commentary from me. That's it. I don't put anyone down in the rant section.

In short, if you're too sensitive to read the column, stop reading it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6