• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action DBZ Set to Shoot in Montreal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faceman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
This is bringing back memories of Street Fighter the movie. If it's as good as SF, or the Mario Bros live action movie, I'll be impressed.
potassium

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
This can't be true. They will make a movie for children, without blood and death. DBZ have been always for children in Japan but Japanese parents are more liberal in what a children can watch than American parents. I don't want to watch Goku going to "another dimension".

Before the Transformers movie came out, I would have agreed. All I'm saying is, it could work.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
This is bringing back memories of Street Fighter the movie. If it's as good as SF, or the Mario Bros live action movie, I'll be impressed.

Hey, Kylie Minogue was hot in the Street Fighter Film. But still, the horrible amount of liberties they made in those films. Allied Nations? E. Honda A HAWAIIAN?!?! And what was with the Bob-omb and Reebok?
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote

LMFAO!

I can NOT believe this. Aw man, I would see it just for the experience!

And of course, we all know what will happen if the movie succeeds - KyoAni will do a character-driven remake of the Toei version with better animation, prettier eyes, and righted chins, then Key will rerelease the game and- oh, wait, wrong genre!

Anyways, if this isn't a rumor, I'll be impressed.

Which begs the question, where the hell is my MONSTER movie?!?!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Wow. The only stupider than this news of a DBZ movie is the fans sticking by the lame casting rumors from like five years ago.

Really. Why do people keep saying Jackie Chan and Jet Li? Are people really that stupid? Are people really that dumb to think that there are only a handful of Asian actors and martial artists? Really, this is some of the stupidest rumors I've heard.

Oh and if you know anything about Wesley Snipes's current situation, you shouldn't even be thinking of that old rumor either.

Dude.

1) Calm down.
2) Shut the hell up.

You don't have to agree with me, but you also don't have to insult me or anyone else in here.

I was only joking about the casting, and why the hell do you care what I think? If you can't handle other member's opinions I suggest you leave and go elsewhere.

Some people will like the idea, and some people won't! That doesn't make you any better than them, or vice versa.

I never implied that Jackie Chan and Jet Li were going to be in the DBZ movie. I did say that they were filming a movie together. I was cracking a joke about Wesley Snipes as Piccolo. I'm aware that it was posted in a magazine YEARS ago, and what fans thought who could be casted as the characters. It wasn't official. I KNOW THAT.

Jeez... >_> Get a life.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
I think that what will decide this movie is how they do the hair.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
lol. Most people who say they had wished this was cancelled are those who are jealous. >_> That, or they think it'd somehow destroy the look of anime, when it was this anime alone which built up such an amazing fanbase to begin with. In fact, anime itself may not even be as large worldwide had it not been for anime like Dragonball. It might suck .. who cares? If you don't like the cartoon, it shouldn't bother you so much. They spend billions of dollars on this license ... what are you going to do about it?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
This would be a great movie for the WWE. Pretty much the same thing. Lots of flexing, lots of boasting, lots of weird costumes, very little fighting. Perfect. Laughing
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
But remember, folks, that the inhabitants of the DBZ universe aren't necessarily Japanese. Toriyama said he named Vegeta's attacks in English because he wanted them to sound foreign & English sounded pretty foreign to him. THis suggests the Saiyans, for all their black hair, could be more Western. Or, considering all the blue/yellow/purple. etc. hair in their world, the Saiyans could be Asian in appearance, but everyone else more western. I never thought of Bulma as Japanese in appearance.
I assume the movie will opt for dropping mostr or all of the animal people (like the King although at this second I can't remember what kind of animal he was)
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
But remember, folks, that the inhabitants of the DBZ universe aren't necessarily Japanese. Toriyama said he named Vegeta's attacks in English because he wanted them to sound foreign & English sounded pretty foreign to him. THis suggests the Saiyans, for all their black hair, could be more Western. Or, considering all the blue/yellow/purple. etc. hair in their world, the Saiyans could be Asian in appearance, but everyone else more western. I never thought of Bulma as Japanese in appearance.

I think that had less to do with him wanting them to sound "Western" and more to do with him wanting them to seem alien (English is radically different from Japanese, so what better language to use?). As for the hair colors, I'm pretty sure that's just used to create contrasting designs between characters. I know I don't expect all anime characters to have black hair and dark eyes (which isn't even the case in real life, anyway).

As for the movie itself, I will definitely see it. It'll probably suck, but it's DBZ, so it should be fun anyway.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
The King was an animal. THere were lots of animal creatures like Korin.
We saw a group that looked like a Native American Indian tribe as well as India.
Tao Pai Pai seemed Chinese.
Mai seemed Chinese. Shu was a fox.
They had dinosaurs.
Namekians are slugs or something like that
Frieza seemed to be a lizard.
Cell was a bug.
Buu was playdough come to life
Dabura was a demon.
And Hitler, I'm pretty sure, was still German.

DBZ is more alternate reality/world & overall, it was a pretty mulri-cultural one.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
I'm calling shenanigans on this whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bakaShin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
unless they green screen or cgi or even animate a lot of this stuff i cant say this can turn out any good. there is a lot of over exaggerations in dbz that it cant really translate to it turning out to be very serious acting wise. we saw a preview in matrix 3 and now add aura, ki building, projectiles, hyper fighting, bright costumes, colorful hair, monsters, aliens, etc.

I guess the other factor is the story. there is a lot of content and it feels its either gonna be a lot of mish mash of crap thrown in or not enough to be cohesive.
douglas2k6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Seriously though, this movie is going to bomb. First off, Fox plans to have the all three productions done by next July, and that includes DBZ. A DBZ film completed within a year is a guarantee failure. A rushed DBZ is not going to cut it.

Second, the article has information on the two other productions, but has little to no information on the DBZ film. No director, no actors, no nothing.

Third, haven't we all heard this before? I don't know how many times I've heard that they are making a DBZ film. It's kinda fishy that FOX green lights the project AFTER Transformers (another 80's anime like DBZ) does well in the box office.

I could be wrong though, but this is weird news to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7