• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Eva Film Remake to Add Redesigned EVAs, New Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Fan seirvice? At least this movie has one reason for me to see it Wink .

Last edited by Proman on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
Proman: Not if it's more of Shinji-and by definition Anno-wanking in front of the camera.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman: Not if it's more of Shinji-and by definition Anno-wanking in front of the camera.

Technically the wanking took place off-screen.

Just sayin'.
toru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
EVA released with 84 screen became the first place of Japanese box office.
It is the first time that a film less than 100 screen becomes the first place.
http://animeanime.jp/biz/archives/2007/09/1_6.html
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
So, I saw the movie today at a theater in Tsurugashima, Saitama (at Wakaba Walk). It's interesting to hear that the Tokyo theaters are so packed -- we went to a 6 pm showing and it was barely even half full, if that! Ah well.

It was definitely a very good movie. It had some scenes that were nearly exactly like the TV series (albeit with superb animation), some scenes that were slightly altered from the original (like the place or timing), and then some brand new scenes as well. Kinda neat. Though honestly, having scenes that were nearly frame-by-frame replicated from the TV series mixed in with very new scenes was a bit disorienting at times. I think that's because I recently watched episodes 1-6 before seeing this movie, and the original was still fresh in my mind. If it's been a while since you've seen Eva, it might just be a bit nostalgic. Heehee.

The new designs are very interesting. The animation was beautiful. What stood out to me is that Eva-01's green detail glows in the dark, and the synch clips that Rei and Shinji wear now have little hole looking circles on them. I also, for the first time, noticed that Shinji's were on a headband... Was it like that in the TV series? I can't remember!

As for fan service, you see more Rei boobies than you did in the series but that's about it. For example, when she changes into her plugsuit you see quite a bit of nipple action. What else... Kaworu's inclusion was pretty damn neat, I'll say that. Totally don't want to spoil anything though!! There was also tons of product placement, haha. Pizza Hut, Doritos, and of course a ton of UCC Coffee cans. Oh man.

Half-way through they did the Evangelion black screen/white title thing that the TV series had for commercial breaks, which displayed the "You are (Not) Alone" title. After the credits ended they played a "next movie preview" that was pretty much 100% like the next episode preview from the TV series, complete with the music, Misato's voice over, and her promise of service-service. Laughing It was great!! Just like a very long, pretty, alternate episode. Heehee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:

One can get that impression from 10+years of Gainax merchandise, unfortunately...

That's why I ignore the merchandise. In all seriousness, though, I'm firmly convinced that Anno's only fanservice-y work in the terms mentioned above is Gunbuster. (A great show, don't get me wrong.) Eva is just...not.

Thanks for the review, Michi! I'm glad that it turned out well, and am very excited to see this myself, as soon as the chance arises.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
i just got back from the movie myself but it's almost midnight and i need to go work tomorrow...

only thing i would like to say is that the new character is NOT anyone i've seen before...at least from Girlfriend of Steel series....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
only thing i would like to say is that the new character is NOT anyone i've seen before...at least from Girlfriend of Steel series....

Yeah, she looks very different. I liked the shape of her glasses, though. Haha. I'm really wondering how she'll fit in, since they have to introduce Kaji and Asuka in the next movie too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hitokiri:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if ADV already has it.

Don't be too sure. If Bandai Visual winds up handling the home video rights in Japan, they might try to use the movies to break into the U.S. market.

There's a big difference between "I wouldn't be surprised" and "I think it's a fact".
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Service linked some comparison shots between the movie and tv show.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
icepick314 wrote:

Yeah, she looks very different. I liked the shape of her glasses, though. Haha. I'm really wondering how she'll fit in, since they have to introduce Kaji and Asuka in the next movie too.

thanks for spoiling it for rest of the people who hasn't seen it.....

i deliberately leftout the description just for that purpose...

HitokiriShadow wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Hitokiri:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if ADV already has it.

Don't be too sure. If Bandai Visual winds up handling the home video rights in Japan, they might try to use the movies to break into the U.S. market.

There's a big difference between "I wouldn't be surprised" and "I think it's a fact".

god i hope someone ELSE has the license...if BV brings out to US, the DVD each will be around $100 MSRP with subtitle only...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri:
Quote:

There's also a big difference between, "It's probable", and "I hope ADV gets it."
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Why wouldn't ADV get it/be able to get it?

They got all that Geneon money coming in now, they're even more likely than every to get these movies.

It's kinda crazy to assume they won't get it, honestly.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
Why wouldn't ADV get it/be able to get it?

They got all that Geneon money coming in now, they're even more likely than every to get these movies.

It's kinda crazy to assume they won't get it, honestly.

Geneon didn't pay ADV to take over their catalog. That's not how that deal works.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Invader: If Bandai Visual gets the Japanese dvd license, you think they'd be willing to let ADV have it, and lose their first potentially major entry into the U.S. market? The only way I'd imagine ADV would be guaranteed the R1 release is if they were willing to pay for the R2 release as well; and the costs might overshadow whatever possible profits are made. They realized that with the last two movies, and even if they've grown since then, it'd still be a risk-especially considering how much they already paid for AMG S.2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7