• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Higurashi Kai Preempted "Due to Various Circumstances"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
I think the reason School Days and Higurashi were delayed wasn't out of fear of imitation, but out of a concern that airing them would be insensitive given the recent murder.

This is very true. It's also the most pathetic BS reason to do (or not do) anything. If people based all actions and responses on making sure they were 'sensitive' to everyone, we'd do nothing but stand around in our own filth, petrified that anything we might do could possibly offend someone, somewhere, somehow.

On the other part of the topic: Yes, any and all information you receive shapes your ideas, thoughts, and perception of the world. This includes TV, books, movies, and even just talking to random people in the street. Know what? Unless the TV magically wraps its power cord around your arm and physically forces you to stab a random person 385 times, it didn't 'make' you do a darn thing; take some responsibility.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

And before the "grammar nazi" above me says it, yes I may have made typos, but, like always, I don't care. Also note that "emotional blockage" and "grammar natzi" are his/hers words, not mine

Dammit, I only pointed out your typos because you were mocking someone who had a better argument than you did. (Something like: "lol, you can't even write your own sentences. Go take a grammar/reading class")

Oh, plus, thanks for trying to use "emotional blockage" as an insulting term towards me. I was stupid enough to make that post, I don't need people treating me like s**t for it.
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
There was hardly any violence in Higurashi second season so far, that's why I cannot understand why they would need to delay it.

Seriously, I read that every day a person is killed in New York - and Hollywood's still continuing producing action movies. And Japan is making such a fuss about one tragic incident (it is a cruel thing but it's not like Higu Kai is responsible for it).

I truly agree with you. The second season of higurashi so far has been very blood-free. Don't see what's all the fuzz is about..........

A little bit off topic, is it just me or has anyone else notice that japanese tv anime has become more conservative than before. I mean, yes, they still have fan-service loaded harem, moe, and blood spilling violent shows. But they are all shown at late night. While in the 80s to early 90s, they have violent show like The Fist of The Northern Stars, Saint Seiya, the nipples showing scenes in Ranma 1/2........ all of them were shown on prime time family time slot. What's up with that?? Has the world gone backwards??
Kenotic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Jeez, so they delay an ep of a frickin anime out of consideration to someone or something. They did it with that Buffy ep(was it Columbine?) & when they finally aired it months later with warnings all over the place about "viewer discression advised", I saw no similarities to a Mayor turning into a dragon/demon & a melee ensuing, but they still had the right to pull the ep. Look at 9/11. My teen loved Invader Zim & 9/11 saw that title pulled for weeks & it never really made a comeback. We had several shows delayed.

Bingo. Ironically, Joss Whedon was fine with them preempting the "Earshot" episode.

Of course, it's possible they just took the series off for a week out of reverence for the families and friends. Higurashi's first season was incredibly violent and filled with spoiler[kids killing their best friends] and supposedly this episode is going to deal with spoiler[the murder of most of the main cast.] This isn't censorship - respect. Maybe not much, and maybe purely symbolic, but I don't think it's out of line.

It also gets me that there's been a gruesome murder and all people seem to care about is a cartoon episode they'll have to wait an extra week to bootleg. The misplaced cries of censorship and slippery slope arguments are ringing hollow.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Man this is turning into a giant flame war and making the situation worse. I don't know what each person's belief on afterlife or lack thereof is, but this is in no way respectful.

who_is_friend wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KRbodCk7c

See? Some people are blaming this on Higurashi. There are (admittedly overexaggerated) fears that Higurashi Kai may be cancelled completely because of this media.

I'm so glad you posted the video. Technically they are questioning the possibility of a link and then going on something they read on the net, but being careful not to say there is a direct link. It could be a damning video for that casual viewer who walks away just remembering that Higurashi and Murder were in the same sentence, but they seem to be trying to avoid drawing that link "officially". This won't last though, the frenzy will die down and people will find something else to attach to.

We Higu-fans will get the episode - it's a 24/26 episode series, I'm sure someone will show it before moving on. In the meantime, let's respect the TV stations doing what they feel is appropriate.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.
Maybe it was my local station that pulled that graduation ep for some reason (We did have some school shootings in East Co.) but I know we didn't see it when it was originally supposed to air & when it did, there were lots of warnings.
We also had a sweet little teen boy given a weekend past from his program for emotionally disturbed teens take his sister shopping with him at Home Depot where he boughtt the axe he killed her & his grandparents with. He was caught driving around town in grandpa's car with the grandparent's dog in the front seat. (Couldn't kill the dog)

Wow. Am I supposed to be hurt by your reaction DmonHiro? I've seen my share of violent stuff. (I'm a fan of horror titles) I'm just not into gore for gore's sake & I'm not into titilation for titlation's sake, though I have my share of titles in my collection because I like a particular character (Faust/Shaman King-yeah, both dvds which he wasn't on) I actually ignore most fan service--if I notice it, then it's either because it's blatant or excessive. We're not here to discuss whether it's appropriate to sexualize young children in entertainment on this thread.

The picture in the ANN article showed the girls in dark (black?) dresses. The killer wore a black dress. Can't you see they might be a tad concerned about a school kid in a black dress killing? What if she is a fan of the show & was inspired by it? Maybe she was really into Hell Girl. WHo knows? She wanted to be a manga-ka allegedly so it isn't too far to think she isn't familiar with this anime. Yes her actions are her actions, but you can't blame the various companies from covering their rears until the dust settles. I saw a lot of radio priesty types damning AC/DC over the Night Stalker stuff because he was allegedly inspired by their song.

This was a cop-killing & maybe he was a respected community figure. Yes, it was a family matter that he died over. Maybe it was abuse. Maybe she was just a spoiled brat who felt she wasn't treated right. For all you people whining about it know, it was the anime company itself that requested all the stations withold their show. (And it may be as simple as wanting to make sure she wasn't inspired by their title so they won't get sued by the surviving family members). On the other hand, they might also be racking up brownie points with the Japanese viewers for being sensitive. What's the reaction over there running?
Koast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
What a coincidence, I did an article earlier about violence on tv and in the media and this just showed up.. Well, not to say that I'm happy about it, but oh well.. either way. Let me state this again. Violence is the result of environmental impacts on the person themselves, not the media. The fact that someone sees an episode of "When They Cry" (yes I'm using the english phrasing), doesn't make a person go "Oh! Cool! I'm gonna murder my dad with an ax!" Uh no... otherwise the human race would be long dead. Censorship is just a nonsense way to appease people without taking a direct hit, everyone wants someone to blame, and they don't wanna blame the "victim" or the "murderer" so we blame tv, nonsense.

As for the fact of complaining or seeming insenstive, if I live in Japan I wouldn't let them get away with it in a breath without me complaining. The fact of being sensitive to others is not relevant because people can Just turn off the tv. People who do these acts don't do them because of the shows, they watch the shows because they want to escape reality, if they didn't it still would happen anyway.

I'm not going to be happy with it if it does get canceled, a delay can turn into anything and I think people have a right to be paranoid, but I'm not going to try to loose any sleep over it. So if not, we can all cover our eyes and live in blandness.. I think I really would rather die than live in a world so boring and paranoid I can't even show blood on tv without getting hit with a lawsuit.

And I think Japan is on the brink of knowing censorship is being challenged a lot more and there's an effort to change it, face it, it's only a matter of time before it gets pulled away so people can have more freedom to do what they want and say what they want.

So that's all I can really say for now, I'm a Huge fan of "When They Cry" Go Mion! Go Rena! I just hope that a great show like this, doesn't get taken off for the worse reason of all: denial.

[/b][/i]
BakaOnna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to think Higurashi ep. 12 was postponed in a slightly different case than School Days. Not only because of the whole murder, but more for the fact that it's being brought into the limelight like this. I mean, the 2nd season is nothing like the first, and ep. 12 should not be that violent; at least, not compared to the stuff I've been reading about School Days 12.

Either way, this is one of the causes for it to get so much attention from the media/news:

I quote:
Quote:
Mention of the 16 years old girl at the top left, and “Higurashi no Naku koro ni” as the game in question…

The first red part is “divorce disturbance”. the other is “axe”.

” The game is about a series of mysterious deaths in a mountain village.
A young girl protagonist is suffering trauma from the divorce of her parents.
She uses a hatchet to kill her enemies.“
redemption2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Why is anyone even surprised at this? If you all have forgotten there has been precedent for this for years.

Two episodes of Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu were unaired because of circumstances that were deemed inappropriate because of real life circumstances. Remember the pin-poking of the bread bags? That actually happened within a week of the show airing, and I think some people died from the poison they ate from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Jeez, so they delay an ep of a frickin anime out of consideration to someone or something. They did it with that Buffy ep(was it Columbine?) & when they finally aired it months later with warnings all over the place about "viewer discression advised", I saw no similarityes to a Mayor turning into a dragon/demon & a melee ensuing, but they still had the right to pull the ep. Look at 9/11. My teen loved Invader Zim & 9/11 saw that title pulled for weeks & it never really made a comeback. We had several shows delayed...

(Space saver. You should all have read this by now anyway, back on page 2.)

First of all: thank you. Smile

Have any of you that are whining stopped to think that this might be a touchy subject? That maybe, just maybe, people don't want to hear about a young girl brutally killing her father with an axe, and then turn on the TV to watch young girls brutally killing with axes? It's not nice to see real life awfulness mirrored on TV.

So could you all stop arguing, please? This is censorship, okay? If you're going to watch this kind of stuff, be prepared for the outcry. If postponing the episode makes people happy, let it happen. The show will air eventually, just wait a bit. I think it's wise to just let it blow over- some of the statements on this board aren't exactly sympathy-inducing. Really guys, t's not going to kill you. *cough*

Then you can watch as many psychologically disturbed, murdering teenage girls as you want. As the saying goes, that's entertainment.

Um... I think somebody brought up Cowboy Bebop earlier on? That particular episode was about a skyscraper bombing, if I remember correctly. And that Buffy episode, Earshot. Seemed more like black humour than anything, to me. Especially seeing as spoiler[the boy Buffy reads the thoughts of who is bringing the gun to school is actuallygoing to kill himself, and wasn't related to the other event at all-she just assumes, post-Columbine...] Still. I thought it aired on YTV, so it can't have been too controversial?[/spoiler]
Koast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

First of all: thank you. Smile

Have any of you that are whining stopped to think that this might be a touchy subject? That maybe, just maybe, people don't want to hear about a young girl brutally killing her father with an axe, and then turn on the TV to watch young girls brutally killing with axes? It's not nice to see real life awfulness mirrored on TV.

So could you all stop arguing, please? This is censorship, okay? If you're going to watch this kind of stuff, be prepared for the outcry. If postponing the episode makes people happy, let it happen. The show will air eventually, just wait a bit. I think it's wise to just let it blow over- some of the statements on this board aren't exactly sympathy-inducing. Really guys, t's not going to kill you. *cough*

Then you can watch as many psychologically disturbed, murdering teenage girls as you want. As the saying goes, that's entertainment.

Um... I think somebody brought up Cowboy Bebop earlier on? That particular episode was about a skyscraper bombing, if I remember correctly. And that Buffy episode, Earshot. Seemed more like black humour than anything, to me. Especially seeing as spoiler[the boy Buffy reads the thoughts of who is bringing the gun to school is actuallygoing to kill himself, and wasn't related to the other event at all-she just assumes, post-Columbine...] Still. I thought it aired on YTV, so it can't have been too controversial?[/spoiler]

I believe you are missing the point, the fact that it WAS censorship is what Makes it wrong, and people who watch that show who are effected by it should stop watching it, by turning off the tv. The writers who make it aren't responsible for the acts that others do just because they might/could've/maybe were some how inspired by it. The fact that if you let them Stall it, for one week, without complaint, what's next? Two? A month? It's pointing blame at the wrong place, it's nonsense. Of course I could go on and on about the US system about their obsession for OJ Simpson etc, but that'd be pointless because this is Japan. But that doesn't give excuse to take censorship lightly no matter what country on this earth it comes from.
Bunta WRX STi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
This is what happens when reporters troll 2chan for info.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
I remember reading in a college Japanese pop culture class that the word 'otaku' went mainstream in a bad way due to a child serial killer. So let's not forget the Japanese media's sensationalism and ability to scapegoat and stigmatize fringes like extreme anime fandom. Hell, I think they might be worse than America. Never mind Japan's cultural call for conformity and acting proper.

You fans need to quit kidding yourself. Higurashi is a cult following in Japan. It airs late at night. Hell, I think even Buffy and the whole earshot thing is different as that had a good female viewership and mainstream acceptance. Again, not only is this a cult hit, it's Japan where the mainstream loves to look at anime fans as freaks. Akihabara is an exception, not a rule. Plus if it makes Japan look bad and doesn't make the economy good, Japanese culture and government is glad to shrug it off.
psipsy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
Somewhere inbetween "THE SKY IS FALLING" and "oh it's just senseless violence, get over it".....

I'm wondering what series they're going to preempt next because of this.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:05 am Reply with quote
KBS Kyoto has just announced the cancellation. After all, the murder case occurred in City of Kyotanabe of Kyoto Prefecture.

Quote:
2007年09月21日

<おことわり>「ひぐらしのなく頃に解」放送休止について

京都府京田辺市での父親殺害事件を受けて、9月21日26時30分から放送を予定していた「ひぐらしのなく頃に解」は、休止とさせていただきます。事件と番組の関連があるかどうかは不明ですが、少女が凶器を持っている場面などがあり、地元京都の事件であることなどから、番組を不快に思われる視聴者の方がおられる可能性があることを考慮して判断させていただきました。今後の予定については検討中です。
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5