• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Un-Go (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote
I had actually dropped it after episode three, but the M in me decided to give it one last chance with episode four... It picked up just in the nick of time.

A concern is the fact it's only 11 episodes, 3 of which have been a bit 'patchy'. Like dtm42 said, great that it's improving but it really needs to hit its stride now, only 6 episodes left to explain all that it's been teasing at until now.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up with the last 3 episodes. Hmm it got pretty interesting. I love now that the robot joined the duo. So now we got some background about Inga. Seems like she saved Shinjorou when he as a civilian casualty in the war, based on the cut scene in the 1st or 2nd episode where he was bleeding near the car crash.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
things are going in the right direction. I liked episode 4, episode 5 was even better. More background, not so much rush, hints at the characters' pasts, so all in all, I can't complain.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Another good episode. I wonder who spoiler[that girl was behind the guy in prison. Maybe its another thing like Inga]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
This may be an emotionally dry series but it's turning out to be easily the most interesting thing I'm watching this season. I have so many questions following this episode.

1. spoiler[What is the cause of the bad blood between Shinjurou and Kaishou? Presumably it goes back to something that happened in the war.]

2. spoiler[In this episode, who buried the children in the rubbish tip? Their mother? Someone else?]

3. spoiler[Was Kaishou having an affair with Takako Yajima anyway?] I suspect these last two questions will never be answered.

4. As WhiteHairGirls asks, spoiler[Is the creature standing behind "Calls Himself a Novelist" in prison another soul-eater like Inga? Has "Calls Himself a Novelist" entered into a pact with the creature to feed her souls - something that Shinjurou refused to do with Inga?]

I really liked the way Shinjurou found himself a cog in the machinations of someone like himself, rather than the usual role of outsider unpicking events. Being implicated in the story makes him much more ambiguous but also much more sympathetic. It's a great pomo twist.

I also liked the way that Shinjurou didn't answer when Yajima asked him if he slept with Kazamori.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
This may be an emotionally dry series but it's turning out to be easily the most interesting thing I'm watching this season. I have so many questions following this episode.

1. spoiler[What is the cause of the bad blood between Shinjurou and Kaishou? Presumably it goes back to something that happened in the war.]

2. spoiler[In this episode, who buried the children in the rubbish tip? Their mother? Someone else?]

3. spoiler[Was Kaishou having an affair with Takako Yajima anyway?] I suspect these last two questions will never be answered.

4. As WhiteHairGirls asks, spoiler[Is the creature standing behind "Calls Himself a Novelist" in prison another soul-eater like Inga? Has "Calls Himself a Novelist" entered into a pact with the creature to feed her souls - something that Shinjurou refused to do with Inga?]

I really liked the way Shinjurou found himself a cog in the machinations of someone like himself, rather than the usual role of outsider unpicking events. Being implicated in the story makes him much more ambiguous but also much more sympathetic. It's a great pomo twist.

I also liked the way that Shinjurou didn't answer when Yajima asked him if he slept with Kazamori.

answer to question 2 spoiler[They got trapped while playing]
answer to 3 spoiler[No they just wanted you to think they were cheating, he just went there to see if the kids were doing fine]
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Good episode, weird ending. Not necessarily bad ending, just very, very weird.

I was hoping that the whole bit about the pictures would be brought up. Not only do I not fully understand why the wife tore them up in the first place, but it is also interesting to note that a blind person could not rip them with that level of accuracy. Therefore, I thought that the pictures would be a major clue.

The children leaving coded messages to one another in the books was a strange element, but I guess we can put that down to kids being kids.

Also, why were the wife's fingerprints on the initial slip of coded paper but not the children's?

Who takes kids away without at least telling the parents? Why wasn't the father told when he got out of prison?

Did the wife have an affair with Rinroku or not? She now sleeps on the other side of the bed, I thought that was too unusual not to mean something.

By the looks of it, this episode is where the turning point in the series is. Hopefully we'll get more of an overarching plot, although I am doubtful that the 'novelist' will have much power behind bars. What else can he do to affect Shinjuurou?

Anyway, it was pretty interesting, all in all, despite the simplicity. But there were a few hanging threads that didn't get resolved.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
spoiler[Also, why were the wife's fingerprints on the initial slip of coded paper but not the children's?]

spoiler[For this particular question, it's likely the kids wouldn't be in any database for robogirl to match them to. It did seem like there were more than 2 sets of fingerprints when she was scanning.]

Also, maybe spoiler tags are appropriate for your post.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Good point.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I was hoping that the whole bit about the pictures would be brought up. Not only do I not fully understand why the wife tore them up in the first place, but it is also interesting to note that a blind person could not rip them with that level of accuracy. Therefore, I thought that the pictures would be a major clue.

Also, why were the wife's fingerprints on the initial slip of coded paper but not the children's?

Who takes kids away without at least telling the parents? Why wasn't the father told when he got out of prison?

Did the wife have an affair with Rinroku or not? She now sleeps on the other side of the bed, I thought that was too unusual not to mean something.

I think the mother spoiler[blinded herself after tearing down the pictures, in a final attack of guilt. It does not say whether she blinded herself right after them going missing or a bit later, so it is possible she did go out to look for them, never found them, went crazy and ]

I still think she might have had spoiler[an affair, since she started sleeping on the other side of the bed.] But I think they never mentioned it since Yajima did not really seem to be able to excuse her for cheating on him, as opposed to her possible have been behind the children's death.

it is still strange that the father was never told about the children- there was no obstacle of him being informed abut what really happened when he was still in prison.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
EP.7
Not going to bother with spoilers because, as far as I can tell, very little actually happened.

That was just plain annoying. They tried to do the mindbending thing but at no point in the episode was there a point of reference to keep you interested.

If it was supposed to be mystery, you're suppose to have something to work with but instead you were given nothing but constantly changing situations that make no sense.

Because they bothered to translate it I wondered if "The Films of Frank Darabont" was a clue, but c'mon... three Stephen King movies (admittedly, the better ones), A contender for Jim Carey's worst movie and a couple 80's horror flicks- nothing can be learned from that.

See, I know there's a point. The prisoner/novelist and his assistant (probably someone like Inga) are screwing with his brain. But as far as I can tell- that's all that was being done. No clues to why, no clues as to what it could mean, no clues of any sort, not even hints.

As far as I can tell the only way to possibly enjoy that at all would be to be familiar with the source material, because I assume there were multiple allusions. but lord was it a bad episode without that knowledge.

I actually tink it might wrap up decently in the next episode but that doesn't mean this one wasn't a chore to get through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
And I badly missed Inga and Kazamori. Shinjuro seems completely lost without them. Anyway, next episode will determine whether this one was brilliant or crap, although I can see myself skipping this episode in future re-watches.

I had to put a screen capture of Rie expectorating in the OP - it was so out of character it was quite shocking.

And... what's happened to ANN / Siren Visual's broadcast? It's now two days late. I had to watch this episode via other sources. Quite unsatisfactory, you know. Is this series going the same way as Denno Coil? Six episodes then kaput?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
Just when I really started liking this series... They'd better come up with some amazing conclusion to this episode next time, because otherwise it looks like a bunch of scenes cut out from a normal episode and randomly stitched together.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I liked it, but lol if you dropped it I know why. It's dry and well yeah dry as can be lol (if you don't like the genre)

If anything though, episode 7 changed things up. Well more like it was out of place if you know what I mean- alt. realities, mind shifts, mind control, wtf?

Who cares music still good.
SoloDolo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:

Who cares music still good.

Haha i agree the music is still quite good ^^. I actually liked this episode as it has me pondering the many situations that could result from spoiler[ any one of the 3 girls being behind that door with the director, as they all 3 seem to have different views towards life and the "war" or even if that had anything to do with the directors death or was just used to throw in another possible conclusion to throw us all off the trail of whats really going on?!] I'm very confused Confused But i like it !

Its very sporadic, and can be nicely rapped up with an intricate 1-2 episode discovery on just who spoiler[ the woman behind the "novelist" is, what she and others like Inga can all do (besides whats known),] and how or if this whole situation even fits into the main idea of the show. I've been on a week to week basis with this anime, and its survived one more week... for now Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6