• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spirits Dream Inside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
What really shocks me, though, was one of the review blurbs I saw that described this director as "the new Miyazaki." Miyazaki is one of the greatest storytellers ever. To compare his work to "Place Promised" is just a joke.

Who's to say he isn't one of the greatest storytellers? There are those that hate or dislike Miyazaki are there not? You need not actually look far on these forums to find people who find him to be overrated. So Shinkai's work didn't vibe with you, that doesn't really mean he isn't one of the greats. I mean, whether you like or dislike his work you certainly can't argue with the almost overwhelming reception it receives in spite of your view.

I don't much care for many, if any, of Kubricks films. I still respect the guy as a great director though as I can't argue with the reception he receives and I certainly can recognize his skill, in spite of the fact that his style just doesn't do anything for me personally.

I'm not saying you're wrong to dislike Place Promised or even Shinkai as a director, but in spite of your view it's hard to ignore the overwhelming majority that seem to see things the other way and have so much respect for him and his work. Not every person considered a great artist is going to produce something that you personally find great or impressive. Heck, this thread alone demonstrates that many people were able to see something in the film that apparently you did not, doesn't make you wrong, just means the style likely isn't one you personally can get in to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Nope, my opinion is always right! ~_^

Anyway, that's all I'll say on the matter, this isn't a forum to discuss the pros and cons of his previous movie, but to talk about the other stuff.

Two of which I do have an opinion on, actually...
Devil May Cry = dumb action fun with a hot lead, and nothing else
xxxHOLiC = best when its closest to the manga, worst when it departs

And to mount a small defense of my taste in anime, what I do like would be: anything directed by Satoshi Kon, any anime with the words "Ghost in the Shell" in it, Evangelion, RahXephon, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Gankutsuou (best thing I've ever seen), Ergo Proxy, X, Revolutionary Girl Utena, plus a bunch of stuff that hasn't been licensed yet.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I don't know if you'd strictly classify it as only shonen romance, but my favorite of all time is Saikano.

*glancing at her avatar* What? Really? Though as the only one of the three I have gotten around to watching yet, definitely a good pick even if it really doesn't fit the bill.

... but more importantly ...
Quote:
upcoming release of the new X-Files movie

What? What? What? Why am I just learning of this now (and here of all places?) Though I guess this serves as a big nail that the crappy season finale really marked Californication's ending.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I really love Please Twins,

Same here. Infact, I personally liked it more than Please Teacher Surprised

Going to have to rant for a bit here...
The first volume of Devil May May Cry is (for now, since its still early in the new year) my #1 dissappointment of 2008. And no it is not because I was expecting it to be like the games, its because these 4 episodes are so friggin' uninspired that watching each episode felt like sitting through a lecture about rocks given by a teacher who hates his/her profession Mad . The fights are simplistic and dull, the characters are flat, and as was said, there is no storyline at all so its basically the whole (uninspired) monster-of-the-week formula. The "rivalry" that starts developing between Trish and Lady is lame and Dante comes off as a boring jerk more than anything else. The review also doesn't mention that damn little-kid character that plagues the series with her annoying pointlessness. The only time this girl has any type of point at all is in the 1st episode, after that she's only around to fill the "little kid" character slot as well as a pathetic attempt at adding "cuteness" to this show and nothing else. This really sucked for me because I was thinking "YES! This is the only reason to buy the Spec Ed of a game, ever!" And my treat for spending the extra money on the game was this completely disposable DVD. If you haven't bought DMC 4 yet but plan to, then skip the Spec Ed and just watch the cut-scenes-extra in the game (which really does play out like a 2-hour movie) and don't waste your money or time on this drag of a series. I tend to be a lot more open-minded about things, so I'll check out the next vol, but DMC is going to have to take a pretty epic turn-around to change my opinion of it. Also, this is Madhouse, the people who brought us Black Lagoon and Gungrave which made it even more dissappointing Mad .

As for Shuffle!, I haven't seen the 2nd vol yet, but I do find this series to be pretty avoidable. I do stand by the opinion that Rin is a good and likeable character that stands out from the usual male leads in harem shows, but the girls are indeed pretty boring. Next to zero conflict between them, and I am pretty sick of the "sim-bot" girl that pretty much defines Kaede's character. Personally, I prefer Magikano for the simple fact that Magi knows that it is dumb and exploits that factor. Also, its girls are very entertainingly obnoxious and flawed. I'll stand by my opinion of them being the most entertaining harem-girls since Tenchi Muyo.

I haven't seen the other titles at all yet, but I definitely plan to... Wink
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
I could say that Shinkai is excellent new generation director. Like the review said, he is really good with expressing the longing of love. For me, that expression is very honest and unpretentious in films. By looking at some of his works, he is just as unique as Miyazaki.

What fascinated me most about Shinkai is that he is not bound to traditional studio system of Japan. Yet he managed to attract talented animator(s) to express wonderful animation. His animation quality is studio grade. He is flexible to ideas other than romance. How does he pull it off? It still makes me wonder.

Here's his 1 minute short film for NHK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w5PuQM0erI

Here's his commercial for a local newspaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqJrMOWeMI

Now i'm going to watch to 5cm
skaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Also, I find the art used in the anime to be about the worst drawn I have ever seen in anime because the body proportioning is so inconsistent. Many times I have been left wondering how a professional animator actually was involved with making it.

I know that the proportions in the character designs aren't natural, but at least they never quite look wrong. In the anime they do.

I had some problems with the look of the anime as well. It's kind of strange. Tsubasa looked better animated (easier to make sense of confusing action sequences) and xxxHOLiC looked better illustrated. The xxxHOLiC anime looked awkward and clumsy. (And it had bad timing, to boot.) Not that the anime wasn't entertaining, but for me the manga was just superior.
roujin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that the more I see of Makoto Shinkai's style, the more I dislike it. When I first saw Voices of a Distant Star, it was a pretty revelatory experience. Shinkai's film was beautiful and it found a nice gimmick that communicated everything that he wanted to say. Plus he made it all on his mac. His second film was once again beautiful to look at but so painfully dull in every other aspect that it made me almost give up on him. Now we have this film: broken up into three different shorts, 5cm manages to achieve the same thing his original film did. It conveys its message in a short and concise manner. So with Makoto Shinkai, shorter is better.

Makoto Shinkai films ranked:

1. Voices of a Distant Star - 25 Min
2. 5 Centimeters Per Second - 63 Min
3. The Place Promised In Our Early Days - 91 Min

See a pattern?
Also, his short, She and Her Cat, is probably better than all of these films and that's 5 minutes long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4