• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Birdy the Mighty Decode (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
^ Galap

spoiler[I felt sorry for Nataru, at first, but after I saw the ruthless way in which he was murdering people - without any remorse whatsoever - I was turned completely against him. In fact, I really don't think there is much difference between him and Light Yagami, except that Light Yagami didn't have the physical power/ability to rip people limb from limb with his bare hands. Nataru does, and he uses that ability to bloody disgusting effect on his murder victims. Then he just walks away as if nothing happened. I was sickened to my stomach when I saw the things he was doing.]

spoiler[And no, his actions are not justified by the fact that his victims themselves were criminals (again, the Light Yagami theory). It is true that they once attempted to use a weapon of mass destruction to commit genocide, but after they were caught they gave up their life of crime and became government informants essentially. Also, a few of them actually appeared to have become rehabilitated. In particular, the two characters who changed their shape into the form of children upon coming to Earth and were adopted by some loving family. Despite their past, they were portrayed in a way that made it look like they were trying to start over and become better people. Then Nataru suddenly comes in and brutally murders them. (The fact that he is portrayed as not only murdering children in an extremely depraved fashion, but they are also siblings and have some kind of connection where they can "feel" when their sibling was just murdered, it was just too much. WAY over the top.) After this, Nataru was worse than them. At least they had the ability to reflect on what they did and try to change. He didn't even have that. He was just a depraved killing machine at that point.]

spoiler[Like I said, I understand all the nature/nurture arguments. I understand that he had a hard life and didn't have the type of mental training/stability that Birdy had. But none of that is an excuse for what he did. He became a serial killer and even embraced his role as such. There is no sympathy for that. I think the Death Note analogy is totally on point.]

spoiler[In much of anime, there is this theme which the Japanese directors/writers LOVE to follow, of the "complicated" villain, who just needs to be understood and/or forgiven in some way. It is a theme which is saturated through out all of anime. Sometimes, it works. However, sometimes the writers want to have just a bit too much fun with making a villain truly despicable and take his villainous acts to the extreme, because they like to push the envelope. When they do that, they can't have it both ways. They can't then follow the desired path of having him be "not such a bad guy after all" in the end, and have us all understand him and want to be his friend.]

spoiler[The writing in Death Note realized that. They instead took the rare path in anime where the villain simply dies an ignoble death and is not "understood," is not sympathized with, is not "complicated." Birdy Decode failed to realize that and instead tried to shoehorn the "complicated, sympathetic anti-hero" role into Nataru at the end after his horrific crimes. It was a huge mistake in my opinion, and left a bad taste in my mouth at the end of what I thought was an amazing show.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4