• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Live-Action Dragonball Poster with Son Goku Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Hardcore anime fans don't exactly have the best track record for putting their money where their mouth is,

Sorry, but Speed Racer would probably be a bomb on the level of Aeon Flux, if not for us.

Er...in the U.S., there's probably around 100,000 "hardcore" anime fans (obviously, this is a strech) and not all of them went to see Speed Racer. So that seems very unlikely. And even so, it didn't even gross its own budget, so it still bombed.

Slightly off topic here, but didn't Speed Racer do well in Japan? I think it was in the top 10, it hit number 5 or something like that...

Either way, when it comes to Speed Racer, I feel anime fans don't even count in this...Most of them had not watched the original series. To be honest, I haven't watched the whole thing myself...but I dunno what drew me to see it, though. I'm glad I did.

...and why is a movie being compared to a video game? I'm sorry, but it doesn't make a lick of sense to compare the two.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
They don't need to try. DBZ has such a built-in fanbase, I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier.

And in other news, Batman: The Dark Knight has done gangbusters at the box office, which proves to Hollywood that you don't need to bastardize the source material to make a profit.

Hey, I understand. It's not necessary to bastardize the source material. But let's face it, they'll make money, regardless, just on the name Dragon Ball Z.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
tyger: Nope, it bombed
in Japan. As for Speed Racer, it certainly has more than just 10,000 hardcore fans, if it made most of its money back. A real disaster would have caused it to only gross a quarter of that budget.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Immediate Music just finished a custom score for the teaser trailer; so it's likely that we should see something before X-Files or Babylon A.D.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
tyger: Nope, it bombed

I dunno, I always thought being at num 5 is a good thing... It was certainly in the top ten. But in terms of what they'd hope to make, not really.

*shrugs.* Oh well.
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Wait. I thought most otaku didn't like Dragonball Z and hated it for one reason or another. (I'm not a huge fan but I liked the series)

Now people are complaining that the movie will suck because it's not going to be "true" to the series that people have being saying sucked for the better part of 10 years now? Color me confused.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Soul: I personally wasn't into DBZ, but that doesn't mean it can't work as a live-action movie. So seeing them get lazy with it's what's irritating to me.
VEGETA_DTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
Ok now...while I was reading this topic I was nearly about to crash my monitor and puke all over my room in the same time...

Your groundless comments without any respect and gratefulness to the DB franchise and its creators, DISGUST ME! makes me ULTRA MAD!!!

How in a world someone can call himself a "DB fan" or even DB sympathizer yet to support THIS AWFUL PIECE OF PATHETIC, UGLY, CORRUPTED, EXPLOITIVE MOCKERY AND BLASPHEMY!!!

comments like this
Quote:
Just goes to show how much of a fan you are.

Who gives a crap if it doesn't turn out that great. Live-Action interpretations of Anime are insanely hard to do, so of course its not necessarily gonna be too good.

Makes me sick...Well let me tell you, FAN is someone who TRULY LOVES something and is not a POSER who accepts everything which have a Dragon Ball title on it!!! Thats commercialized spoiled teenager! ok!? not a FAN!

There are certain things that should always stay what they ARE and the Dragon Ball/Z is a king of that kind!
If you change that beautiful edgy, spiky and aerodynamic style of DBZ(which I LOVE so much) than DBZ is not DBZ anymore, oK? however if yo change anything else, it won't be DBZ anymore as well...

And now we're in a situation when they're making something completely OPPOSITE of what DB/Z is and of what DB/Z preaches!
We get some highschool, teenage, stereotypical, pop culture bullsh*t for our DB/Z!?!?!? when was DB/Z THAT!?
DB/Z parodies those things whole the timeeeee daaamn ittt!!!
and if you are a DB fan you'll know that...all the mainstream parodies like mr.Satan and such...and now it becomes IT?
WHAT THE HELL!?!?!

Yet I am disgusted how you are taking it easily and saying "its a way of the world, its a way of the film industry! you can't change it..."
If you were a true DB/Z fan with a guts! than you would be at least ready to face against it! you don't need to literally create a war against it, but just RESIST IT, just show them that you don't LIKE THAT and nothing more! Try to learn to respect some moral value not only money! show your damn pride damn it!!!

I proudly protest this movie and will protest it till the end no matter what! nor I don't care if you think I am crazy, because I do what I think is right, not what everybody else do!
For those of you who are accepting this movie - its just a filter of who is a true fan and who is a damn POSER - who watches DB only because its "IN" and because you'll have the same topic with so many teenagers around the world, and will forgety about DB/Z in a year or two anyways...So IMPURE, so SPOILED, so FAKE! And what are one of the main charactersitics of our beloved main character Goku?! - Pure! Unspoiled and Honest!

And you call your self a DB fan??? - man....where this world is heading to...

I think that more or less these vids tells it all -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkTCv_Wl9E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag7hkisZYvc
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
/\/\/\ OMG, they still exist!!

tygerchickchibi wrote:
...and why is a movie being compared to a video game? I'm sorry, but it doesn't make a lick of sense to compare the two.

Because it's the same bloody thing? Your adapting a source material into another medium. Seriously, if Video game makers can hold true to the spirit of the manga, then why not with movies? I understand not everything can be crammed into the movie, but taking enough artistic liberties to completely make a completely different product is wrong.

Look at Wanted. Fox changes races and color (allegedly because one of the writers has a hard-on for Angelina and can't live for an hour without jerking off to her image), Wesley turns from a demented Eminem clone to someone off some Teenie show with emo angst, and the movie rights were optioned when the comic series was into it's first issue!! The ending in the movie pales in comparison to the comics spoiler[where Westley insults the reader and proceeds to "punch" the reader in the face.]

I want a good popcorn flick, but when you have original source material floating about, you either have to do a good job in replicating it, or don't try at all.
Effect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
I'm holding judgment until I've at least seen a trailer for the film. Personally though I would have rather have seen them adapt the Red Ribbon Army arc with a younger actor playing Goku. They'd have would have had more freedom to play around with content that way I think by adding in more or different generals and side characters Goku could meet along the way. Not only that they'd be freer to add comedy to the mix and the film would have then been more acceptable to a wider audience due to the kid factor. That way if it did well enough you could do a sequel adapting the Piccolo story or maybe even a DBZ arc with an older actor playing an older Goku.

Having a character age makes it easier to get people accept a story like Dragonball's I think. Oh well. Should be interesting. I liked The One to be honest. The fighting I'm not to concerned with due to films like The One, The Matrix, and various Hong Kong films showing it can be done. It's how it's going to look and the presentation that I'm worried about. I hope the film doesn't take itself to seriously though.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
Fortunately for me, Vegeta_DX, I'm not a fan of DB. Wink
SaraFilipa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Oh. I am actually excited. I don't care how faithful it is to the original story as long as it is entertaining. And I used to be a huge DragonBall fan back then. And I still watch it casually nowadays. It never fails to amuse me.

I think that the cast is pretty good. It has got nice actors... I don't care if Goku is skinny, or if he's missing his cactus hair (come on, that would be way too cheesy and over the top.)... Or if this and that character are missing... Because apparently this is only the first film and sequels are planned.

As long as it is entertaining as a family movie and it is visually pleasing, I'm satiated. I'm a fan, but not a rabid fan though. I totally understand why they change a lot of things. Not everything that works in the anime works in a movie and that's a fact. If you don't like the way it looks so far, why don't you dissociate this movie from the anime and watch it as a separate?
VEGETA_DTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
AAARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am an idiot for ever watching this topic!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Quote:
If you don't like the way it looks so far, why don't you dissociate this movie from the anime and watch it as a separate?
Listen lady! - if you don't like someone stabbing you in the eye then why don't you dissociate his desire and the violence and take that as something NICE! maybe you'll enjoy it!?

HUUUH!? what you say on that one??? nothing personal to you, just an example...so what do you say? do you now understand where I'm coming from?

I am really sorry for all this caps lock, but this drives me insane...
oh my god....how many people actually call themselves the DB fans and are not DB FANS AT ALL! its ridiculous!!!
yet they are considered to be the target audience....

I SWEAR I HATE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Maybe they are DB fans, but also have lives and don't get worked up over something with as little importance as a movie.

You're ammusing, by the way.
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Maybe they are DB fans, but also have lives and don't get worked up over something with as little importance as a movie.

You're ammusing, by the way.

Shush, now you're just using that pesky logic thing. :3

*is a DB fan who is actually wanting to see this movie for the lulz*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6