• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Man Sentenced for Anime Sharing with Share Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Anyway, white subtitles with a decend black border are always better than yellow ones

White subs with a black border are standard in Europe, yellow subs are standard in the US.
I could be wrong about this but I seem to remember hearing that the reason for the different choices was something to do with the difference in picture quality between PAL (Europe) and NTSC (US) - in other words, those nice European white on black subs just don't look nearly so clear through NTSC equipment.

Quote:
Sorry, but yellow subtitles make me puke, as any other subtitles that stand too much.
Ideal subtitles must merge with the anime but still being well-readable.

I was slightly put off the first time I encountered yellow subs on an American import but I find I never notice them within a few minutes of a show starting. So long as the subs are presented in a clear font of a reasonable size and in a colour that makes them easily readable, I don't see what your problem is.

Quote:
Also, fansubbers usually translate signs, put notes when necessary, karaoke, and many other little, nice touches that I can't find in most of the official release.

All things I find enormously annoying and amateurish. If people watching subbed foreign movies don't need such things (and they don't), why on Earth would people watching subbed anime?

Quote:
After all, I still support them with all the merchandise I buy (which is a lot, trust me ) and even some occasional official DVD or musical CDs. And I'm not even counting the manga and manga/anime related novels (I've something like two libraries full of them ^^' ).

In most cases, very little (if any) of that merchandise / music / manga money will ever find its way back to the studio that made the anime because in most cases the studio doesn't own the original intellectual property and / or signed away the merchandising rights in order to get the show funded in the first place. You may be supporting the Japanese pop culture economy in general but you're not supporting the anime industry in particular.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Jeez.
I never even notice the color of the words I'm reading on the screen. I do like it when they are smart enough to use different colors when 2 people are talking at the same time or they're also translating the music lyrics.
I'm usually too busy mentally comparing the English dialogue to the subtitles of the Japanese track (& actually they are pretty close. Some weird differences here & there like days of the week or numbers but usually nothing like the old days of Generator Gawl which seemed to have 2 totally different stories going on. Or Kimera changing the character's gender)
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Onsokumaru wrote:
I salute these brave soldiers.

LOL! I find your continued confusion of greed and laziness with bravery and brotherhood absolutely hilarious. Please show us your own inner bravery by joining them in Japanese court. Mr. Green
Kireek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
So me hiding behind a keyboard uploading illegal files makes me as brave as soldiers in WW2..........interesting.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem was not everyone could agree what that "ideal subtitle" is for any particular anime. What's good for you may not be preferable for somebody else. That's why anime fans had to compromise and settle on a standard that's acceptable to most.

I don't care about the standard, I search what I like. Wink

Quote:
People have different tolerances, but grammar should be the base level. Many fans only tolerate fansub errors because it's free. When it used to cost more like in the days of fansub VHS, Arctic fansubs were getting killed for their errors. Where was the passion in that? Laughing

I have official Italian manga releases with errors, if I can stand them I can stand errors in fan mande works, too, fans who make the job for free, and I still compensate the original creator(s) buying, if not the product itself, related products at least.
What some people here don't seem to understand, is that without fansubs and scanlations I,and many others, wouldn't buy these related products at all. Ergo (I hope you can understand a bit Latin), fan made distribution of manga and anime can be a good thing for the industry, or part of it.

Quote:
There used to be a saying, back in the olde 26+ ep series days, that it takes shoujo 9-12 eps to even get going. Laughing

I wonder why you laugh at the end of your every sentence.
Anyway, all I know is that you don't even need the story to really start to understand if you like an anime. I've a bit of experience (like, more than 200 complete series/movies watched), I should know. Wink

Quote:
That's actually not a bad idea, and IIRC, there's a few experiments on that too.

I believe internet TV is the future.
I never used IIRC so I don't know what you're talking about. Could you explain further?

Quote:
Anime is a good hobby, but it's still not a way of life (well, unless it's your career). Very Happy

You decided it?
In my case, it's something related to my job; anyway, being interested in other cultures and their stories, legends and folklore can be a better way of life than many other that are more accepted by the masses.
Seeing movies, music, novels and comics, to name few examples, as only entertainment is a limitation, and an understatement of what they really are (or, at least, some of them are).

Quote:
White subs with a black border are standard in Europe, yellow subs are standard in the US.

Well, then I feel bad for US citizens.

Quote:
So long as the subs are presented in a clear font of a reasonable size and in a colour that makes them easily readable, I don't see what your problem is.

Are you trying to say that all people have to think the same way as you?

Quote:
All things I find enormously annoying and amateurish. If people watching subbed foreign movies don't need such things (and they don't), why on Earth would people watching subbed anime?

I like detailed subtitles for anything I watch, not only Japanese shows. The only difference is that some languages I understand, more or less, so I can read the signs, for examnple, by myself. But I can't make it for anime, yet.

Quote:
In most cases, very little (if any) of that merchandise / music / manga money will ever find its way back to the studio that made the anime because in most cases the studio doesn't own the original intellectual property and / or signed away the merchandising rights in order to get the show funded in the first place. You may be supporting the Japanese pop culture economy in general but you're not supporting the anime industry in particular.

One more reason for Japanese companies to start including English subtitles in JP DVDs, at least, or adopt any other solution to start releasing their products directly to their not-Japanese fans, and not only waiting for some foreign company to buy licences and do this service instead of them.

Quote:
What about German tv? Why can't I see EVERYTHING airing in Germany? Or Switzerland? Or France? China? What about all the other stuff airing on Japanese tv? You don't seem to be whining you can't see all the Japanese Game shows & dramas for free. I'm sure there's people out there who want to see all the latest stuff out of Romania or Hungary. How about their god given right to see it all on American airwaves for free?

Do you realize that there are many people who watch drama from Japan, Korea, Honk-Kong, China and other eastern Countries? Do you realize that there are some people who don't live in the States yet are watching Avatar or other shows still not licensed in their Countries? Do you realize that this is possibile thanks to people who put these shows on internet?
Do you realize that the fact that you can't normally see what is aired elsewhere is only a stupid and old limitation of how TV channels industry works?
The world is going on in a different direction, mostly thanks to internet and fans, and I love the fact that I can watch products of other Countries and learn, at least a little, about their culture, just like I can learn it thanks to books (whose market is much more efficient).

It isn't a matter of seeing these things for free, but more the freedom of seeing them in the best possible way for our own tastes: we can choose which is the best version, we can choose where to spend our money, we can choose who deserves them and who not.

Quote:
So me hiding behind a keyboard uploading illegal files makes me as brave as soldiers in WW2..........interesting.

No, but it would make you a better person than who joins the Army just for money or, even worse, for ignorance. Or maybe it's worst when someone joins for money... I'm still undecided.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Quote:

No, but it would make you a better person than who joins the Army just for money or, even worse, for ignorance. Or maybe it's worst when someone joins for money... I'm still undecided.

Right, because one shouldn't expect compensation for their work. How's it different than any other job one takes "just for the money?"
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
And yes I was being sarcastic
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Quote:
That's actually not a bad idea, and IIRC, there's a few experiments on that too.

I believe internet TV is the future.
I never used IIRC so I don't know what you're talking about. Could you explain further?

I'm sorry, IIRC just means If I Remeber Correctly (as opposed to IRC = Internet Relay Chat).
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

"Need" is where you lost me. They aren't necessary, but they are cool, and if you don't find them annoying but visually interesting then it is a good thing.

I also very very much like having both the Romaji and English lyrics of the song at the same time, even if it doesn't have Karoake styling, and this is rare in the official dvds.

Need has nothing to do with it. But it is neat.. I'll agree that it'd be even better if you could toggle it on/off, because I occasionally like a clean opening. But if DVDs had Karoake you'd have the clean opening as part of the DVD same as now.

The other word you lost me on was "amateurish." It jumps to the conclusion that the creators are stupid somehow because they choose to do something unique. Even if you don't like it, the fact most do prefer it shows it does add value for them. Contrary to being amateur, I think it's trumping the professionals in terms of exceeding expectations of the audience.

The fact is the styling takes a lot work and effort that I don't see put in by official companies. Their translations may be better (though this is definitely arguable on both sides), but one cannot say they spend more time on the actual subtitle placement, styling, etc. They use the same conventions every time (which some prefer, and others like me do not).
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:

"Need" is where you lost me.

Q: Have you ever visited a film forum and found people insisting that they are entitled to download foreign live-action movies on the basis that the R1 DVDs weren't released with subs featuring multi-coloured, dancing text in wacky fonts? Or karaoke effects whenever a song plays? Or translations of insignificant on-screen non-English text? Or constant "cultural notes"?

I'm guessing the answer is "no".
Seriously, go look on IMDB and see if any of your fellow Americans are up in arms because the Ingmar Bergman or Chan-wook Park DVD they just bought didn't have expanding fonts, karaoke effects or notes laid over the screen at every possible juncture.

Q: Have you ever seen some anime fans (including the one I was responding to) make the same claim?

I already know that the answer is "yes".
Now you and I might know that those people don't really "need" that stuff (whether or not they've come to enjoy them) but the fact is that those people claim they "need" those things before they'd be willing to consider buying the same product from a legal source.

It wasn't a complex point I was making.

Quote:
The other word you lost me on was "amateurish." It jumps to the conclusion that the creators are stupid somehow because they choose to do something unique.

Er, no. It's amateurish because it's something that professionals don't do. And there are, of course, good reasons why most of these things aren't done by professionals.

Quote:
Contrary to being amateur, I think it's trumping the professionals in terms of exceeding expectations of the audience.

Nonsense. The audience didn't turn to fansubs because of the bells and whistles - they turned to fansubs because of convenience and / or availability and / or cost. The bells and whistles are frivolous window dressing that some fansub watchers are now adopting as a defence against accusations of freeloading.
If the professionals did the same thing, do you honestly think sales would rise to any appreciable extent?

Quote:
The fact is the styling takes a lot work and effort that I don't see put in by official companies.

Choosing a font and a colour from a dropdown menu is not a lot of work. And given how quickly we're always being told fansub groups can put out a new show, I'm guessing the rest of it isn't all that difficult either. In any case, "hard work" has never been synonymous with "high quality" or "professional finished product". I worked bloody hard putting down new kitchen tiles a few months back but I'm pretty sure a professional would have done a better job with less effort...

[PS. There was a thread on the anime board a while back about a Youtube documentary on the quality of fansubs that somebody had made that covered most of these points - and more - in greater detail. If you haven't already seen it, you may find it interesting.]
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll, it's not as simple as a dropdown selection, though it's not the more difficult aspect. I was referring to the Karoake part, which isn't something that is as easy as you are making out. As for quality, the quality is usually quite good for something online, certainly comparable to anything I've seen the industry put out that has a similar filesize.

I'm not saying people shouldn't buy dvds because they do not offer these things, but I am saying I would prefer that the dvds did offer these things.

I encode my own dvds. I know what encoding entails and while I'd hardly call it rocket science even when you have the subs/etc. presented putting it all together is work. If you don't have the subs in the first place, then you'd have to do timing/etc. (something I don't have to worry about since tccat/subtitle2vobsub do it for me).

Again, it's not something that is extremely difficult, but to make it sound like no work at all is equally false. Keep in mind we are paying the R1 industry to do even less, so if you shun fansubs too much you bring into question what R1 is really doing for those who don't watch dubs.

I'm also not arguing that sales would rise in the extreme should DVDs adopt karoake/etc. I am saying that as a consumer I personally would appreciate it if they did. As it stands now I keep around the fansub versions because I do appreciate the karoake, and provided that the release is soft-subbed, I've considered trying to apply the fansubs to official releases (I don't really like the vobsubs that come on dvds nearly as much as the stylized "wacky font" .ass/srt format)

Quote:

[PS. There was a thread on the anime board a while back about a Youtube documentary on the quality of fansubs that somebody had made that covered most of these points - and more - in greater detail. If you haven't already seen it, you may find it interesting.]

I'll look out for it, but honestly there are groups out there of varying quality. If the documentary goes into specific detail on how the karoake is done/etc. I'm very interested, but I kind of doubt that. I've looked around for details on it because I'd honestly like to do the same things with my personal backups/encodes, but there is no way I think that's very little work to do.
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder why you laugh at the end of your every sentence.

You say this, yet you procede to wink at the end of most of your sentences.

Quote:
You decided it?
In my case, it's something related to my job; anyway, being interested in other cultures and their stories, legends and folklore can be a better way of life than many other that are more accepted by the masses.
Seeing movies, music, novels and comics, to name few examples, as only entertainment is a limitation, and an understatement of what they really are (or, at least, some of them are).

Yes, but entertainment in forms of movies, music, and comics are meant to be just that, entertainment. One is supposed to limit themelves from crossing thatn point in which one will begin to look for second meanings in every aspect of the film, music, comics, etc.

Quote:
Well, then I feel bad for US citizens.

Yes, go ahead and feel sorry for the most powerful nation in the world. Yeah, nice try at being witty.

Quote:

Who died and made you the king of morales ? People join the army every single day for financial issues. Many don't have the money to go to college, and will consider joining the army as a viable option for tuition. You have no right to degrade those individuals. Those who defend the U.S with thier lives on the line don't deserve to earn a little cash in the process ?

Also, joining for ignorance. How does that even add up ? Do you think that everyone in America who joins the army is completly unaware of what they are getting themselves into ? It's not like they are tricked into it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4