• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Pirated Anime DVD Auctions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
samuelp wrote:
You, my friend, obviously don't live in Japan. The fact is wages in Japan are NOT higher than in the US. Most basic minimum wage jobs pay 900 yen an hour...(that's about... $8.50) You can get part time jobs that pay 1000 or 1100 yen an hour, but they are usually only part time. Starting salaries for new employees are LOW, around $20,000-$25,000 a year for college grads. You get raises only through seniority, bonuses are few.
Especially for those that live in the city, you don't have much if any cash to spend if you are making this kind of money and have to rent an apartment.
The only people who can afford $500 DB movie box sets are 35+ year old salary men who worked up the food chain or spoiled 20-something children of well off families who sponge off their parents and still live at home (the majority of otaku, I think Smile ).

You're right, I don't live in Japan. At least not right now. But I've lived there, and I know how things are in Japan. I've lived with its people, and learned the language. I am a lot more connected to Japan than you would think.

Well, let my update you. Wages in Japan are about the same as in the US now. Times change.
For a Japanese citizen living in Tokyo, paying 50,000 yen for a box set of DVDs is just as "expensive" as a percentage of their average income as someone in the US paying $500 for a box set.
For someone outside of tokyo it's even worse, since wages tend to be lower.
The high price for DVDs has nothing to do with Japanese having larger incomes than US citizens. It has everything to do with the structure of the collectors market and the market DVD purchasing is designed to appeal to.

That's why DVD rentals are equivalently prices in Japan as the US, about $3 for a rental, but PURCHASING a DVD is nearly 2 times more expensive in Japan. It has to do with buying habits and cultural differences, NOT income differentials.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Free market economies dictate that prices are set by the amount people are willing to pay for them.

But never mind, let's excuse all piracy because people on the internet from another country think it's too much money. Rolling Eyes
Would you pay $500 for a series box set?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Well, let my update you. Wages in Japan are about the same as in the US now. Times change.
For a Japanese citizen living in Tokyo, paying 50,000 yen for a box set of DVDs is just as "expensive" as a percentage of their average income as someone in the US paying $500 for a box set.
For someone outside of tokyo it's even worse, since wages tend to be lower.
The high price for DVDs has nothing to do with Japanese having larger incomes than US citizens. It has everything to do with the structure of the collectors market and the market DVD purchasing is designed to appeal to.

That's why DVD rentals are equivalently prices in Japan as the US, about $3 for a rental, but PURCHASING a DVD is nearly 2 times more expensive in Japan. It has to do with buying habits and cultural differences, NOT income differentials.

Nice, very nice. Thanks for the update. Just keep to the JET program and you'll be doing fine. I never said though that DVD prices are because of people and their income. I said that the economy of Japan is such that people can afford to buy them. But don't worry, I'll be joining you over there soon. And I won't care about pricing.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
SinsI wrote:

DVD bootleg manufacturers don't use DVD-R's at all - they print them the same way original versions are made. And usually have even better print quality. Read the story closer - this guy used an ordinary PC, with no fancy equipment.
He is not even a small fry bootlegger, it is pretty much the same as when the RIAA is suing housewifes over a couple songs their kids shared on P2P.

What bootlegs you watching (or smoking or inhaling)
I've seen a decent number of bootlegs. One of the ways they say one can catch a bootleg is the quality of the packaging is fuzzier. And one has to love Japanese translated into Chinese translated into English (Because we all know dying people do so much better when told "Cheer Up!" or that the most vile threat one can hurl at a hero is "I shall retard you!")

I just don't see people defending this guy Come one, when we hear of some fool dying doing something stupid, we all comment on it proving Darwin's theory & move on. For all the insistance on a criminal's part that they didn't know it was wrong, what part of copying something that has what I assume is the Japanese equivalent of our FBI warning somewhere on the package ranks this guy any pity. Whether one agrees with a law or not, the law is the law & violating the law has consequences.

How long are people going to drag the RIAA suing housewives over songs their kids download over anything remotely involving copying material? Are parents not supposed to control their children? If those same children decided to spray paint racist slurs all over City Hall, society is just supposed to say neither the children nor the parents should recompense the city for clean-up? If your neighbor's child glues your kitty's face to the sidewalk, wouldn't you expect the parents to fork over something toward the vet bill? (We had some kids do that to a cat in our county about 10 yrs ago).

If your neighbor's making meth in the garage & his place blows up seriously damaging yours, you wouldn't care?

Yeah, right.

But he is just some poor hick probably using ordinary equipment. No fancy devices.
Makes it ok, doesn't it?
Supply & demand.
People want meth. Someone has to make it. Just because your neighbor's inept, it's not his fault. Just like this guy getting caught. It's not his fault.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:
These brave men are falling Anime cry

Now people who sell bootlegs are "brave"? I suppose by your definition of integrity Adolf Hitler was perfection incarnate.

Oops! I cite Godwin's Law! Laughing

Touche. TBH, I was pretty tired (and in full sarcasm mode, in case the original post didn't make it obvious), and another forum had a "what anime could Jesus and Hitler agree on watching together?" topic (random I know), so I had him on the mind.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:
This guy was profiting so it's not like fansubs imo.
Crunchy rolls anyone? Wink
JINROH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
melonbread wrote:
Is this really going to do anything to stop pirating in the long-term? I don't think so.

No, but I'm sure it does send out a message to people to make them think. They may be thinking it won't happen to them, until it actually DOES happen.

Its regular people that can help stop this shit.I have personally reported people like this,and know legal action has been taken against them,you just dont hear about it very often in the news.

It does help.I think over time we will start to see more reports like this,over there and over here in NA.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Is this really going to do anything to stop pirating in the long-term? I don't think so.

Honestly, its better than doing nothing. Action speaks louder than words. At least some action was taken, rather than let this continue for several more years or so.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Um, waidaminute. . . . It's okay for a person to post his opinion on a subject, but not for others to post theirs?
To attack someone, and to state that you disagree with someone's statement are two different actions.
Doctordoom could've phrased his sentence differently, while viewing his opinion at the same time. Seems to me like everyone's just attacking Onsokumaru ... telling him that he's wrong. Just let him say what he wants. =.=
[Onsokumaru is a sweet, shy and intellectual guy, you guys don't even know him.]

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:

You guys need to stop with this crap. Freedom of Speech is being jeopardized here, stop being self righteous. We all have different perceptions concerning “piracy” and that’s just how things are. Who cares if you don’t agree with what he says? People have different opinions. Let Onsokumaru say what he truly believes in.

How is Freedom of Speech being jeopardized here? Just like he has the right to say what he wants, we have the right to respond right back.

KAtchan15 wrote:
It’s better to have someone portray what is truly on their mind, rather than having that person go along with what the crowd says.

Not always.*

KAtchan15 wrote:
Onsokumaru is a sweet guy, you guys don't even know him.

Well, maybe he could come here and explain himself. But calling people like this "brave" is ridiculous.

*No. I'm not comparing killing a human to pirating anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
To attack someone, and to state that you disagree with someone's statement are two different actions.
Doctordoom could've phrased his sentence differently, while viewing his opinion at the same time. Seems to me like everyone's just attacking Onsokumaru ... telling him that he's wrong. Just let him say what he wants. =.=
[Onsokumaru is a sweet, shy and intellectual guy, you guys don't even know him.]

You're conflating attacking someone and attacking someone's opinions. He could be the reincarnation of Gandhi for all we care; it doesn't change the fact that him calling DVD pirates "brave" is misguided, to say the least. He's free to throw that weak stuff around anywhere, but to not expect any pushback from an informed crowd like this is a bit much. This isn't Romper Room.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

How is Freedom of Speech being jeopardized here? Just like he has the right to say what he wants, we have the right to respond right back.
Yes, respond all you want [in a proper way like I said earlier] instead of stating a wise ass remark like this:
Quote:
Now people who sell bootlegs are "brave"? I suppose by your definition of integrity Adolf Hitler was perfection incarnate.

Also, you would think that after the first five people who went against him, people would stop. To me, it just seems that everyone who states an immoral opinion gets questioned as to why he stated what he did and gets overly penalized for doing so. You can say he's wrong, but talking about this any further is pointless. There're always going to be people who think differently than others, and questioning their beliefs or proving them wrong doesn't really help.

Quote:

Well, maybe he could come here and explain himself. But calling people like this "brave" is ridiculous.

Similar to me, he means what he says and he says what he means, it's as simple as that. He said what he said, you won't change his mind by lecturing him.

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeinenAi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
SeinenAi wrote:

However, look at the original price of the box sets he was pirating...uh, who is the criminal exactly? It probably costs like $5 to make, and they sell it for $500? Come. On.

Ps. I am not saying the guy was right to sell it, but maybe people wouldn't have bought from him if the prices were a little less insane!

You're not paying for how much it costs to make the physical media; you're paying for how much it costs to create the contents that goes into the media.

Ok so like...$10...$15 then.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It's just too sad to have to see the law wasting their time (and our money) punishing such passive crimes, really.
Kireek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
SeinenAi wrote:
This guy was profiting so it's not like fansubs imo.
Crunchy rolls anyone? Wink

Hey I might start one up myself because instead of being arrested ill profit off it and get a 4 million investment on top of it!

(No I wont really but I could see that being the type of message it sends out........Green light everyone)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6