• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Marmalade Boy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Since your sister draws Nina is it safe to assume that this was inspired by you? Wink
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
Since your sister draws Nina is it safe to assume that this was inspired by you? Wink

No comment. Mad

In my defense, I NEVER CRIED AT MARMALADE BOY. NOT ONCE.

Pon Poko, sure. But not Marmalade Boy.
scortia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When Miki suspects Yuu has found another love, her world comes crashing down on her, and panic-inducing music ensues. We get a sweeping shot of Miki looking terrified at her completely unaware boy, the background turned to a nightmarish abstract.

You just reminded me of the rage I felt when Yuu ran to the hospital because Anju was DYING and then Miki found him and basically wailed "OMFG YUU DOESN'T LOVE ME ANYMORE!"

Really, other than Miki, Marmalade Boy is almost a perfect shoujo romance. Oh, and Meiko choosing the stupid teacher over the ever-amazing Miwa. The NY arc was just,... hilarious. Let's see Jinny wangsting through dance just one more time. Haha.

"I'm Yuu."
"You?"
"You?"
"ME?"
Soldat of life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
I liked ''Kimugare Orange Road'' quite a bit. I did consider more than once to watch Marmalade Boy, but haven't thus far.

*puts in 4th position rather than 13th in order to watch*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I saw a bit of the anime and eventually got bored. I prefer the manga. The anime is longer then it has to be. I will one day watch it all.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:

No comment. Mad

That makes two of us.

Of course, no anime can ever make me cry. Anything with tearjerker moments in it--Wolf's Rain, Trigun, Marmalade Boy, Chrono Crusade, Fushigi Yuugi, s-CRY-ed--you name it, I always get through it totally dry-eyed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Descent123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Justin's sister draws the comic. Then again I don't look at people's last names. Razz
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
ooo I'm afraid I'll get addicted to marmalade boy and have to finish it even if i dont like it. lol. I'll be dying to know what happens next and i cant fit a 72 episodes obsession into my schedule right now. lol i actually be on here right now.

only time a cried is in 5 centimeters per second and i dont know if that's really crying i did shed a few tears though.
seryass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:

No comment. Mad

That makes two of us.

Of course, no anime can ever make me cry. Anything with tearjerker moments in it--Wolf's Rain, Trigun, Marmalade Boy, Chrono Crusade, Fushigi Yuugi, s-CRY-ed--you name it, I always get through it totally dry-eyed.

To be fair though Marmalade Boy doesn't have many scenes of that nature as for Fushigi Yuugi. There's only one possible scene in that, spoiler[Nuriko's death], that could fit that and it is by far the saddest part of the series. Despite the fact that spoiler[most of the other Suzaku warriors die it's pretty hard to get emotionally attached to them since we hardly get to know the characters (especially in Chiriko's case, even Mitsukake gets virtually no character development and he was in the series far longer.]

The one anime that has had me blubbing is Fruits Basket. My friend actually is very resilient to tearjerker moments but there were a couple of scenes in that series where he did shed a tear to my utter surprise.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Marmalade Boy featured - its rare that Buried Treasure features anything that I've seen or am even aware of. That said, Marmalade Boy is fantastic and well worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4