• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie Premieres

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:49 am Reply with quote
Emerje: Actually, Takahashi is a genuine game otaku, and just likes writing stories from the series revolving around whatever gaming trend is popular at the moment. He never really believed the card games would be a success. You wanna talk about cheap marketing ploys, try Pokemon. Worse than effing Transformers, since at least the writers for the latter show
envisioned the robots with different personalities, and not just sound effects. And I like the series, and I'll probably never get the cards. Doubt I'll pay for the movie though, cus I'd be embarassed to be one of the few adults seeing a kid's film.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
aisasami: I knew it was gonna be big. $20-$25 million weekend guaranteed.

I doubt it. It's probably going to make less than 15 mil. My prediction it's going to make around 8-10 mil.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:13 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Sam.: wrote:
Especially DBZ, which put japan's anime on the map world wide.

Prove it. Doubtful DBZ was the first Anime to be distrubited worldwide.

Come on, now, it's pretty obvious he means it was one of the first anime series to make it big. DBZ built Toonami.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:03 am Reply with quote
This movie holds nothing against feeders, man.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *dies of laughter*

*tempted not to scream "I told you so! I told you so!"*

I am greatly amused.

Dude, I'm as obsessed with anime and Yu-Gi-Oh! as the next guy, but it's a GOOD thing that this movie bombed. Compared to this movie, ANY sales of the uncuts will look great.

Eh, I hate the Duel Monsters series ANYWAY...

Now, if only I can convince my stupid little brother NOT to watch this movie.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Especially DBZ, which put japan's anime on the map world wide.

Prove it. Doubtful DBZ was the first Anime to be distrubited worldwide.

I don't think he's claiming that DBZ was the first, but instead that it was the most popular, particularly within American, Latin American and European (French/German/Spanish) markets.

Still, I'd sooner say the first anime that "put anime on the map world wide" was Akira (1989), and Ghost in the Shell (1995).

DBZ was popular (and made in 1989) but it didn't reach "the world" until the mid-90s, and it didn't really "take off" in America until 1999-2000. I was a DBZ fan since 1996; I remember the earlier days of DBZ fandom. Although it was "popular", it only reached a tiny group of people. It wasn't until after it started airing on CN that you'd start seeing DBZ stuff EVERYWHERE in the US.

And, at that point you might be able to argue that DBZ was "popular worldwide". Otherwise you're leaving out a very important part of the world market. ;)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
no matter how much you hate Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and DBZ -- kids will always love it forever. There is no escaping it.

Well,I don't hate it.I'll try to watch the movie.If it's any good,I'll let you know.

I make MY own opinions on whether a movie (or anything else,in fact) is good or bad.

The only thing that matters is if I like it or not.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
DBZ did something that Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon couldn't. They managed to get not only little kids, but older audiences as well.
It started out as a fad like Pokemon, but now it's a cult hit.
Jaann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The Yu-Gi-Oh! movie may have bombed when it comes to reviews, but I believe it will still rake in a fair amount of money.

On one hand, I think the reviews are hardly fair considering that this movie targets fans of the series and those fans will quite probably like it. Kids who have never heard of the show might start liking it too after seeing the movie. Keeping in mind the target audience, I felt the reviews were written for an older audience who, understandably, might think this movie is the bane of the devil. Having a Tomatometer of 0% sucks even when and if you make a good amount of money from your work. I don't think any movie deserves that since effort (whether good or bad) was spent on it.

On the other, the reviews are a fair guide for someone who is a total stranger to anime. If someone like that would see this movie, s/he might get a wrong impression of anime in general.

Anyway, I'm a little torn about this.

--Jaann--
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Emerje: Actually, Takahashi is a genuine game otaku, and just likes writing stories from the series revolving around whatever gaming trend is popular at the moment. He never really believed the card games would be a success.

Maybe I should have said adapted rather than created. I realize he started the show due to his love of games (the first season barely touches on the card game), but it wasn't picked up by the producers over there with those same intentions, they bought the rights for the sole purpose of making money and got far more than they had imagined out of it. The same thing happened to Akira Toriyama with Dragonball, he just wanted to write a fun story, but Toei kept talking him into going on and on. He completed the story several times throughout, but it wasn't until after the Buu Saga that he called it quits and Toei decided to keep going on their own with GT. Hell, the guy that created Pokemon did so because of his love for bug collecting and wanted to share that experience with kids so he got some money together and a contract with Nintendo and things blew up from there. Sure these people had honest intentions at first, but that doesn't change what their creations are now.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Animefan: Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh made it possible for anime to be broadcast on network television during a decent timeslot.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
According to BoxOfficeMojo's estimates, 'Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie' Grossed' $4,350,000 during Friday which means that it is likely to gross over $12 million during it's first weekend. The moral: never underestimate the power of a strong brand name. Personally, I find the whole future length comercial thing very appalling.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm still willing to bet $20 million, because every tween who's wanted to see Princess Diaries 2 has seen it since Wednesday.
Animated_Lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:20 am Reply with quote
Being a big fan of both the Yu-Gi-Oh manga and anime, I went to see the movie in theaters. I enjoyed what I saw. It wasn't an Oscar winner, but it was good. Very Happy It was cool seeing YGO on the big screen in our town's new theater.

I'm not sure how well the movie will do money-wise. Hopefully, it will be a big hit. When I saw the movie (at 7:20pm) the theater looked to be almost filled to capacity, so maybe that's a good sign.

Last edited by Animated_Lady on Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how it would look at my local IMAX theater. You know which one it is, right? It's the one that's somewhere between 2-3 stories high with a bazillion speakers and the projector's in the middle of the seating and whatnot.

(Franklin Institute/Titleman Omniverse Theater, Philadelphia PA)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6