• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Revenge of the Special Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

As for what I do with those spare boxes and filler boxes
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n507/kngofharts/101_0499.jpg
I tack 'em up!

Love that Sailor Moon wall scroll!

It was recently released too (check RightStuf). My girlfriend has it hanging up in our computer room.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So what's your favorite anime collector's DVD?

Sadly, nothing in my R1 collection. I really do love my Taiwan OreImo box that came with vol.1 of the DVD. It's a really nice chipboard artbox (unlike the cardstock style artbox we got from Aniplex USa).

Also, Idolmaster vol. 1 that came with the PS3 game - giagantic chipboard artbox (really nice) that came bundled with vol. 1 LE BD of the show (which, in itself, contains some really nice extra. Art/storyboard book and CD), Idolmaster 2 PS3 game, Idolmaster 2 soundtrack and Idolmaster Gravure 4 U vol. 1 side game.

Quote:

Which shows did you love but only watch once, and which extra special shows do you find yourself revisiting over and over?

Due to new shows being released every season and my large backlog, it's so hard to revisit shows.

I think the only show I've watched at least twice in the past few years is OreImo because I love it that much (I skip one of the episodes due to it being terrible).
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I do love art boxes, although living in an apartment forces me to pick the space savers, but I will get an art box if it's tempting enough. As a graphic designer I always love looking at the designs.

My very first art box was the Tetsujin 28 series that I won in a contest back in 2005, it came with:
3 Tetsujin Wobble Clocks!
Tetsujin 28 DVD Vol. 1
Tetsujin 28 Pin Set
Tetsujin 28 Deluxe Cell Phone Strap
Tetsujin 28 Key Ring

Some other art boxes I own and like:
-009-1 spy tin case (love how I can just store my DVDs in it and carry it around with me)
-Mysterious Cities of Gold Deluxe Edition came with:
32 Page Collectors Booklet, 12 Page Historical Facts Booklet, 6 Exclusive Postcards, and Double Sided Fold-Out Poster Smile
-Utena boxsets that came with the booklets, couldn't pass those up.
-Yawara boxset that comes with informative booklset
-Blood+ season 2 boxset (I didn't get the chance to get season 1, but I was able to the get the season 1 discs sans box and they fit in the season 2 box)
-Emma: Victorian Romance boxsets (love the booklets with the historical facts and sketches)
-Voltron (tin Lions)
-Marmalade Boy boxset
-Fullmetal Alchemist Season 1 part 1 boxset
-Robotech: Protoculture Collection

As for favorite art box, hard to say since each one has things I like about it.

Art boxes I wish I had:
R.O.D -The TV- (Limited Collector's Edition)
Ronin Warriors - Complete Collection (Books 1 and 2)
Sailor Moon - Season One - Complete and Uncut (released by ADV)

I'll always buy DVD's, I do watch anime digitally (streaming) since sometimes that's the only way since there's no DVD release (Bunny Drop, Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas), but having the physical media always feels good.

I have a big backlog of anime I still have to watch so I don't always have the time to revisit a series, although I'll make exceptions like Ghibli movies.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with the thrust of the original article, and can vouch from it from personal experience too.

I'm another person who very rarely re-watches anime, with a few occasional exceptions. But, I came to realize that my collecting anime isn't related to the practical use of the disc, but more out of a desire to own a piece of the shows I've liked -- sort of like memorabilia. So when the North American anime industry moved away from the "keepsake" model (away from the extravagant Limited Editions and extras, and towards a more bare-bones cheap boxset strategy), I quickly lost interest and chose instead to collect the Japanese DVD and now Blu-Ray releases. That was even more expensive and even less "practical", but it fulfilled my desire to have something valuable and special to collect (and also allowed me to collect shows that would never get a North American release anyway).

With streaming becoming that much more commonplace nowadays, and pretty much every show under the sun being available within days if not hours of the original broadcast, I think it's approaching the point where the "buying to watch for the first time" audience is an anomaly, not the rule. The general expectation thus shifts from "we need to make this reasonably-priced so that people will give the show a chance" to "everyone has already seen the show; now how much will the die-hard fans be willing to spend to own a piece of memorabilia for it". And, in that calculation, people who are only willing to spend a small amount probably aren't worth their while as far as DVDs and Blu-Rays go. If it's not worth collecting seriously, and most people aren't going to re-watch the show anyway (since TV anime is fleeting by design, even if it's good!), who is the audience? The apparently-small but obviously-vocal audience who keep pushing for anime to be as inexpensive as possible?

As you rightfully point out, a world where everyone is expected to have seen the show before deciding to purchase completely re-frames the piracy problem. People often say "if you make the DVDs/Blu-Rays so expensive, it'll drive people to piracy". But if you offer an online service that makes it easy to access the shows legally and typically for free, it undermines the entire issue. You're expected to watch the show, and while they hope that you will do it through legal channels (and will try to compel you to do so by offering a good service that's easier to use than the illegal alternatives), watching the show alone isn't going to determine whether you will purchase the home media release. They're not trying to compel you to buy the product out of ignorance, but out of first-hand experience. If someone's not willing to spend the asking price, they simply won't buy the product and they'll still watch the anime... and that isn't the end of the world any more. Buying physical media is only for collectors.

And so, yes, the model shifts to "streaming for all, Blu-Rays for few", and the "I'll buy anime DVDs, but only if they're cheap" audience will be left by the wayside. I do have to wonder if they need to offer something else at a cheaper price point at some point, but I don't know what that could be right now. Time will tell.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
This just may be my favorite Mike Toole Show that I have read yet. I can't believe that Funi called the Sora no Otoshimono box a Limited Edition (and now they are not giving the second one a bluray release. They really dropped the ball there; just delay it for god's sake). I'm the kind of guy that loves nice, swanky collectors sets and will almost always opt to get one if available. I actually managed to convince myself to pre-order all of the collectors sets of Madoka. I'm crazy... but I will feel better when I actually see it in it's glory.

I have to agree that streaming is not doing the physical market any favors. I would think that they would just not want there stuff streaming anywhere, making their own sales the one place to get it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what it is about game LEs, but I can't seem to resist getting them. Boxsets of anime, for some reason, I tend to be more wary of since I can't spend so hastily, especially if it might be a show I may not like.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really a fan of the Limited/Collector's Edition versions of anime. I usually go with the regular releases, just to keep the size of stuff to a minimum. The only time I bought LE/CE versions was when it was cheaper to buy it than the regular edition.

There's only about 4 in my collection. The World of Narue Collector's Edition from CPM, as it was the only version out of it. This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, which had an artbox that I thought featured a better artwork than two complete collections. Also have one limited edition version each of Negima! Vol. 4 & Speed Grapher Vol. 6. Negima's was unique to feature a small Konoka figure. But Speed Grapher's was mostly useless as it only featured a set of cards & fold out case w/ different artwork(which will likely become more damaged over time than a regular DVD case).

As for shows I revisit from time to time. The only ones I can think of are Detective Conan/Case Closed, the 2 seasons of Ah! My Goddess & Clannad(the first season mostly). But it's usually 3-4 times a year, as I usually don't have time due to watching the simulcast anime most of the time.

As for packaging I miss. One thing I have missed that Funimation used to do with their S.A.V.E. sets was basically re-release thinpaks and slap a S.A.V.E. sticker on the wrapping. The cases they use now are pretty poor, as I've had to return quite a few due to damaged cases & discs(due to the broken cases).
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
And why does nobody like O-rings!

O-cards! Not O-rings... I'm sure some people like O-rings though. If you mean onion rings, then I guess I like them.[/teasing]

Personally I like the slipcovers. They give the case a nice flat look when lined up on the shelf and they also serve to protect the case from dust, fingerprints, etc. Beyond that some of the awesome effects that Funimation does with the design of them are great. Like the raised surfaces for Summer Wars, or the multi-layered foil on the Trigun: Badlands Rumble slipcover. That kind of stuff just wouldn't be possible with the regular print of a cover art, so it's a really nice touch.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Never really been big into buying Limited Editions of things cause I'm cheap and usually don't really care about the stuff in the limited editions set. For the things like the volume 1 + box LE sets, I'd always rather just wait until the series was released in a full season set so I've never bothered with those.

Only LE sets I have are the new Utena ones, though I still have to buy the 3rd set. The artwork alone on those boxes sold me as I just think they look fantastic. Didn't even know about the little commentary books in each set until after buying them.

As far as rewatching anime goes, I've rewatched many of my anime DVDs that I own on multiple occasions. I've gone back to Rahxephon, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Ghost Hunt, Samurai Champloo, Darker than Black, and more and re-watched them. Though I have to admit I haven't rewatched them all, but in general I tend to buy series that I think I actually would watch more than once.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
All the series I own get another viewing sooner or later. The ones I revisit the most are:

Baccano
Moribito Guardian of the Spirit
Tide-Line Blue
Ergo Proxy
Pumpkin Scissors

Artboxes I own:
Ergo Proxy
Emma A Victorian Romance 1&2
Tweeny Witches True Book of Spells
Le Chevalier D'eon (does anyone even remember this show?)
Claymore
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Le Chevalier D'eon (does anyone even remember this show?)

Yes~! And I even have the artbox and sleeves for every volume, which is evidently uncommon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sonryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
I've always been a collector, and I always will be. I am one of those people that wants to physically own the things I like. While I do my fair share of downloading fansubs, if it's a title I enjoy, I WILL purchase it's official R1 release, whether I intend to rewatch it or not. And when it comes to buying those releases, I'm a sucker for anything collectors/limited/special edition. So the anime industry as it is today is a sad sight for me. I really miss buying artboxes, and getting extras like pencilboards, OSTs, and plushies. Granted, I spend a hell of a lot less now than in years past, but to me the expense was justified.

As for my faves, that's tough. I love the figures from titles like Scrapped Princess, Death Note, and Naruto. I love the OSTs, like those from .hack//SIGN and Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. I had a tough time finding all of the Chobits releases with pencilboards, so it is with a sense of satisfaction that I found them all. I think my favorite overall isn't even anime; it's my Terminator 2 Skynet Edition blu-ray with life-size T-800 endoskeleton skull lol

Nowadays, all I have to look forward to is a cardboard slipcover? Even some of those are disappearing (ie Bleach and Naruto volumes). I miss the days when premium releases were in their "prime".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
I absolutely ADORE my .hack//SIGN boxset. Best thing in my whole collection. My Fullmetal Alchemist metal tins are a close second. And my Evangelion tin set is also a jewel, especially considering it's going out of print. My Haruhi LE's are great, too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Only 800 copies were produced, and while the set's absurd $300 price tag sent fans into fits, the entire run sold out before street date.

I thought Garden of Sinners was $500-$600.

Quote:
Now, a lot of people are complaining about the high prices of Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero blu-ray releases, but I have a feeling these shows are still going to sell out as well.

Well, the LEs definitely. But the BDs and DVDs might vary, especially if it doesn't live up to the hype.

Quote:
So what's your favorite anime collector's DVD?

I don't know if it's a favorite, but I liked those cards which came w/ the box for Descendants of Darkness. Of course, the by price I got it for was uber cheap by the end, at $40.

Anyway, I don't think the boutique stuff's going to work out very uniformly. After all, Right Stuff still has the R.O.D. Blu-Rays rotting on their shelves. It will have to be for titles with good buzz and/or promotion.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
I revisit pretty much anything I liked, and try to buy what I've loved, but I'm always broke so I own very little anime. One of the the DVD's I have is that Code Geass: Limited Edition people have mentioned, I too got it for $10 on sale at Best Buy.

I also got 3 of the Death Note DVD's that came with figures, I bought the second one because I had a little extra money and was willing to splurge on an attractive figure of Light, and the third and fourth ones were on sale. Really wanted a Misa figure to go with the Light and L figures, but I ended up getting the regular version of Volume 5. I don't own the rest of the series yet...

Some of my video games have come with soundtracks and stuff though, and I did get the Limited Edition of SoulCalibur IV for 360. Also, I have to mention this, the special edition of The Dark Knight with a mask shaped case that's briefly mentioned in the article? I have that, I also have a copy of Iron Man like that and my brother has a copy of Transformers 2 (Yeah, that abomination) that transformers into Bumblebee.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8