• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video Game Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Dessa wrote:

One question I wish was on there, however, that isn't, is "would you be open to adding anime/manga-related video games to the encyclopedia?" There are so many anime/manga-related games, that share staff/cast with anime, or are directly related, that it would be so nice to have them with entries in the encyclopedia. Like, Fate/stay night's VN, so that the proper relations can be done.

That's a good suggestion. We'll ask about that next time.

Thank you very much. It's something I've been hoping for for quite a few years. The fact that you're willing to get input on it is definitely a good thing to see.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Even if an overwhelming liked Call of Duty, why should that matter? This is an anime site first and foremost, and it should only cover stuff related to anime. Stuff like JRPGs, VNs and other Japanese games with anime in them is fair game, but an American made shooter? How does that fit in the scope of the site at all?

One cannot presume to know definitively what content the average anime fan would find interesting or not unless one asks.

The world is not black and white. Things are not either just Anime or Not Anime.

Take Halo Legends, for example. Anime project produced by anime studios, but scripted by an American. You could say, "Well, obviously it's anime, so thus you should cover it." Yes, but to what extent? Or say, in a hypothetical world, DLC was released that would let you put Kenshin's face on your armor. Or, a Japanese-American co-pro that was animated by an anime studio, but based on a Western comic. Or a Western animation that was based on a popular Japanese RPG, say. Things are much more complex than THIS = YES, THAT = NO.

We cover Japanese music sometimes, even if it's not related to anime. Why? Because there's user interest. It's the scope of the coverage, though, that depends on how much interest.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Can I ask for Valve to be added to the list of publishers? It's really odd that it's missing. I can accept not having Starcraft while having Diablo and Warcraft, but at least please add Valve.

^^ This.
No mention of Valve in this survey? Not even of Team Fortress 2 or Dota? For shame, ANN! For shame! (At least TF2's free and has hats. How many JRPGs and fighting games have managed to become war-themed hat simulators?)

Buying games: Over the past year, I've spent more money on TF2 than any other game. Whether it's buying items from third-party traders (I always check TF2OP and SteamRep before paying outsiders for hats and keys) or directly from the Mann Co. store, I've managed to accumulate hats (Buying all those keys has paid off due to unboxing unusual hats; managed to get a couple Bill's Hats just through unusual trades), weapons (Even after trading stranges, I at least like to have certain weapons just for playing outside trade servers), and keys (Saving for an unusual Attendant for my Pyro loadout).
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I don't mind games if they're Japanese/anime related, but if it's going to be.. Call of Duty Black Ops 4 reviews and stuff... no. That's why Crunchyroll is laughed at. They posts news about tons of non-anime/Japanese related stuff. An article on Final Fantasy/Tales? Sure. Articles on Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Call of Duty... Pixar movies... Adventure Time... Magic the Gathering... Batman comic book writers...what? Why is this stuff on an anime/Japanese streaming site again?

Perhaps they did an informal poll of their users at some point and gauged these topics as high interest to their users? They stream anime, but who says they can't post stories about other things?

I don't see ANN becoming Comic Book Resources, if they vary up the topics a little bit.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
I always find "crossover demographics" to be a poor excuse. Not only is is impossible to actually measure ("Most anime fans also like X!" Really? You asked every anime fan?) but it's also irrelevant. It's the reason Cartoon Network started airing live-action shows; because their audience also liked those live-action shows on Disney and Nickelodeon, or why G4 airs COPS. I guess some people who like video games watch COPS... or wrestling on the Sci-Fi Channel. I don't see why people should do that just because they could.

Anime and Japanese games go together very well. Even ignoring how JRPGs and VNs essentially anime in game form, there's also a closer relationship between the two than western counterparts. More (and better) games based on cartoons (like the Naruto and One Piece fighting games) as well as the opposite, lots of anime based on video games themselves (Persona, Rockman, Viewtiful Joe, Pocket Monsters, Digimon, Blackrock Shooter, Bomberman Jetters, etc. And that's not even touching Visual Novels like Steins;Gate and School Days). Short of something like Powerpuff Girls Z where it's an anime of an American thing, I don't really see the point of talking about up-to-the-minute coverage of Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles or Walking Dead news even if "some people who go there also like that stuff".

Japanese media culture is unique in that everything kind of hodgepodges together; like Hatsune Miku and Touhou, despite not actually having anime or manga, is still an anime and manga thing due to otaku culture.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Here's the new intro I added to the survey:

Thank you. This was the beef I had. I know it's a bit nitpicky, but disclosure's important to me ... now.

Well, my results are canned as the system won't allow me to retake it, so hopefully my lost results won't swing anything to the negative.
Wink
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Anime and Japanese games go together very well. Even ignoring how JRPGs and VNs essentially anime in game form, there's also a closer relationship between the two than western counterparts. More (and better) games based on cartoons (like the Naruto and One Piece fighting games) as well as the opposite, lots of anime based on video games themselves (Persona, Rockman, Viewtiful Joe, Pocket Monsters, Digimon, Blackrock Shooter, Bomberman Jetters, etc. And that's not even touching Visual Novels like Steins;Gate and School Days). Short of something like Powerpuff Girls Z where it's an anime of an American thing, I don't really see the point of talking about up-to-the-minute coverage of Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles or Walking Dead news even if "some people who go there also like that stuff".

Japanese media culture is unique in that everything kind of hodgepodges together; like Hatsune Miku and Touhou, despite not actually having anime or manga, is still an anime and manga thing due to otaku culture.

I feel like you basically just said, "It's okay as long as it's Japanese."
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I feel like you basically just said, "It's okay as long as it's Japanese."

Thats basically how it is when it comes down to it, though. This is a site dedicated towards a popular Japanese media... covering other popular Japanese media is in its scope. Covering stuff that has nothing to do with Japanese media isn't.

I mean I guess it might get you a few more hits, but its a slippery slope... are you even an anime site anymore if you cover anything that a teenage/young adult demographic is interested in?
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I just pulled from the Wiki Top 15 video game publishers of 2010. Namco Bandai was 15, while Atlus was 19. In hindsight, I should've created an "Other (Please Specify)" free response box. But also, while something like a new Persona game would already be folded into our coverage, we don't know how our readers feel about the other VG publishers.

Fair enough. Thanks again for the reply.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
a few things I would suggest to make it a better and more accurate survey and I'm sure some may have already mentioned these. Firstly you can't buy used PC games anymore because every game needs a key to activate and once it's used it's gone so pretty much no one buys used for that reason. Second you should have the option of buying games through Steam. I'm a heavy PC gamer and 90% of what I buy is through Steam which wasn't a option. So I ended up basing my answers around the 10% which isn't very accurate to me personally.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
You CAN buy some PC games used. I know that Half-Price Books (despite the name, they sell videos and games too, they just mostly sell books) sometimes gets unsold stock that's technically brand-new. Those you can buy used.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
If it's unsold stock then it isn't used. It's unsold, new.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If it's unsold stock then it isn't used. It's unsold, new.

basically bargain bin material or stuff that retailers try to sell/move out at huge discounted prices. I used to work in retail for nearly five years, i know how it works lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Interesting Survey, and glad to see a decent amount of people still follow Nintendo. Though surprised to learn only 26% (or so) of the people who took it have 3DS systems. I thought there'd be more people then that who had one by now... but I'm zany like that.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the survey. I always enjoy the video game chats on ANNCast and reading the X Button column. I like reviews by Zac, Bamboo, Carl, Theron, Justin etc. I find their Anime/Manga reviews to be entertaining and informative. Zac runs a tight editorial ship, so I think that quality would carry over into the video game coverage/reviews. ANN posting reviews on more popular video games like Assassins Creed or Skyrim could be interesting. I doubt they would sacrifice the existing coverage for Anime/Manga/Japanese Pop Culture since I'm sure they know its their bread and butter. I picture a separate column or interest icon showing up. If I don't like it I can always skip reading it. It's mere existence will not cause an exponential growth in entropy resulting in the further suffering of Magical Girls. So I don't see a problem with them putting chocolate on my peanut butter. (That's not code for anything)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6