• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Evolution Opens at #8 with US$4.8 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barashin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Has anyone else notice how Anime Fans are becoming more and more like angry Star Wars fans; not happy with anything Star Wars past the 70's?

I fear for the Ghostbusters 3 movie.

That's how hardcore fans are. It's no different then any show that has a huge following
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
People don't hate it because it isn't a faithful adaptation, people hate it because it's a really, really bad movie.

But it's not really a bad movie.
Compared to other martial arts films with all the training, etc.
We have 90 minutes (including credits) on this one, so it's maybe more an issue of stuffing the items they wanted out of some 15 or 20 manga into 90 minutes. At least 4 seasons of anime, maybe 7?(I forget how long Red Ribbon dragged out) The first adventure ending in the Oozaru didn't have Krillin--he showed up as Goku's rival in Season 2. I really don't remember too much of the training mumbo jumbo. Roshi had the boys running around with big old turtle shells on their backs, moving rocks, chasing rocks, swimming with sharks... Later on in DBZ with Gohan, yeah.
There was actually a lot of the manga in the movie. It was just all jumbled up.
barashin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Zac wrote:
People don't hate it because it isn't a faithful adaptation, people hate it because it's a really, really bad movie.

But it's not really a bad movie.

Whether it's faithful to the source or not ain't the case. If it's a bad movie it's a bad movie regardless how faithful it is, and if you liked it, then hey that's cool. It's your own personal will to like or hate a movie. However, majority of the people, critics and fans alike, are calling this a bad movie. Majority rules dude...
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Ha, I knew this move would suck, that's what they get for putting Goku in high School, and making everyone not look at all like the anime characters.

I'll still be watching it (only because it has Dragon Ball in it's name), but I'll wait until it's released to DVD so I can rent it for free Smile.

Hopefully I'll get some chuckles and lulz out of this crapfest they call a movie.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it was definately a terrible movie, but I and everyone else in the cinema was loving it because it was so terrible.

It had some really horrible lines, my favourite being "DRAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!" Oh god, when he said that, at least everyone around me was laughing.

The thing for me that was the most off putting was that the high school scenes and the party scene was a totally different feel to the rest of the movie. Those scenes just felt like some normal everyday place while everything else had this ancient feel crossed with modern technology, it was really an oxymoron.

I came into it expecting to see a terrible movie that was just as comedic as The Spirit and it met my expectations quite well. Not to metion the totally predictable twist after the Ayumi Hamasaki song was finished.

By the way the cinema I was in to watch it was full. I dunno what that says since it was in Australia and on premiere day. Also, pretty much 90% of the people there seemed to be in the 15-25 year old crowd.

Although, I do have to say some scenes I actually did like, for example the righteous ass kicking at the party was fun. But it definately does not cancel out how terrible the movie was.

Last edited by vapwaazu on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
JackCox wrote:
This proves, Never f*** with the source material.

I haven't seen the film but in all honesty I think this is part of the reason we're never going to get a quality adaptation made. God forbid if the same thing isn't spat out just the same way into a different medium for us to consume in the exact same way again and again until the end of time. Does anyone really want that? Personally I want them to make changes for the better and take the source material into their hands to make something better. Anime fans often complain about "creativity" being almost nonexistent in anime as a whole why are they limiting new possibilities on the big screen? Whether you actually believe in creativity or not we can all agree that constantly delivering the same thing over and over again gets real old real fast right?

Between that and the average fan's eyebrow falling off at the idea of "that moron who directed Apocalypse Now" directing their beloved classic. Am I the only one who thinks there is such a negative reaction to quality directors being used for comic book, video game, etc adaptations?

I still think they should try to get Godard out of his recluse lifestyle, hand him the Bebop DVDs, $45 million and tell him to make whatever changes he needs to. Hell Scorsese would be more fun.

I understand that changes may have to be made but for the most part there is no way something like Dragonball should have that many changes.
HatakeMirukon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Has anyone else notice how Anime Fans are becoming more and more like angry Star Wars fans; not happy with anything Star Wars past the 70's?

I fear for the Ghostbusters 3 movie.

Finally. Somebody has the balls to say this.

Honestly there's more butthurt and baseless hatred for this movie I can't stand it. What happened to the anime fans that actually tried things before they judged them, and actually KNEW what was bad instead of using "oh it's not like the anime/manga" as a base for disliking something?

Or the fact that if they call DB:E a bad movie, then I doubt they've really seen a TRULY bad movie. In their life. Period.

http://hatakemirukon.deviantart.com/journal/24157330/#comments

That is a link to my journal on deviantART which is my review of the DB:E movie when I saw it on its midnight premiere.

I honestly think a lot of you, and I do very much mean a LOT of you, are taking the bashing way too far.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Jih2 wrote:
JackCox wrote:
This proves, Never f*** with the source material.

I haven't seen the film but in all honesty I think this is part of the reason we're never going to get a quality adaptation made. God forbid if the same thing isn't spat out just the same way into a different medium for us to consume in the exact same way again and again until the end of time. Does anyone really want that? Personally I want them to make changes for the better and take the source material into their hands to make something better. Anime fans often complain about "creativity" being almost nonexistent in anime as a whole why are they limiting new possibilities on the big screen? Whether you actually believe in creativity or not we can all agree that constantly delivering the same thing over and over again gets real old real fast right?

Between that and the average fan's eyebrow falling off at the idea of "that moron who directed Apocalypse Now" directing their beloved classic. Am I the only one who thinks there is such a negative reaction to quality directors being used for comic book, video game, etc adaptations?

I still think they should try to get Godard out of his recluse lifestyle, hand him the Bebop DVDs, $45 million and tell him to make whatever changes he needs to. Hell Scorsese would be more fun.

I understand that changes may have to be made but for the most part there is no way something like Dragonball should have that many changes.

So if we made a Teletubbies movie and changed their appearances drastically it would completely destroy the "heart" and "soul" of Teletubbies.

Fine.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
The system works!

Not when Hannah Montana is #1.

It must be Spring Break because the Box Office numbers this and last week seem awfully high for non-summer. $4.6M is probably Top 5 any other week. I'm sure the lack of screenings for critics probably affected that either positively or negatively. I honestly can't tell, but to me, it's a major indicator of a bad movie.

One can only hope that there will be someone with actual talent making the sequel.

(Thought Speed Racer was ok, despite the massive amounts of camp)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
Did anyone even see any ads on tv for this? I didn't.

Most definitely not. Which would be another reason why it doesn't seem to be "doing so well." If anything, only people like us were aware of its existence, and since a lot of us aren't on the go for watching it, of course it's going to get the sales it gets if they didn't promote it right.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

Yeah, criticizing people for disliking a crappy movie. You sure are the "smart" one who doesn't make stupid, pointless comments all right. You expect otaku to support everything that sucks right?

I wrote the review for this site. I gave the movie an F.

That doesn't mean the YEAH OTAKU WIN HA HA SUCK IT FOX gloating isn't retarded.

No one in this thread said anything even remotely close to that. People being happy a crappy movie did badly is a completely understandable feeling for people to have. Hollywood only cares about what makes money. If something fails commercially, they'll try to learn something from it. They may apply this to "anime movies don't sell" but then again it could also be a certain brand of anime films that are very crappily made don't sell. May be bad for anime in the short term but hollywood has to learn this lesson unfortunatley. Thus why super hero movies make a lot more money now and are also a lot higher in quality than they were in the past. They had to learn that just some bullshit tagged to a super hero property wouldn't sell itself.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It may not be No#1 but it still managed to make it in the top 10.

I think the commercial that they've been running on TV was terrible, though. I probably wouldn't have noticed it as the original movie trailer.

*shrugs.*

I still haven't seen it yet. I think for some reason I may be OK with it.

Zac wrote:

I'll have to completely agree with this statement. Only because if anyone actually dares to say that they like it....I'm afraid that people will come in and start insulting them.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
Quote:
I knew it'd flop! =D Now watch as practically all the other anime film adaptations are gradually unceremoniously canceled. An adaptation of Full Metal Panic when not even Dragon Ball could earn a decent amount on its opening day? Ha!

The answer to this question is very simple. Dragonball failed NOT because it is a cartoon/anime/manga LA adaption, but because it is a terrible, TERRIBLE movie.
Of course, that's the logical lesson here. But do you really think that's what the film studios will make of it? Of course not. They'll just think "Hmm, anime movies flop."
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
It may not be No#1 but it still managed to make it in the top 10.

I think the commercial that they've been running on TV was terrible, though. I probably wouldn't have noticed it as the original movie trailer.

*shrugs.*

I still haven't seen it yet. I think for some reason I may be OK with it.

Zac wrote:

I'll have to completely agree with this statement. Only because if anyone actually dares to say that they like it....I'm afraid that people will come in and start insulting them.

That's true, look on the bright side it did make......OVER $9,000!! Laughing

Anyhow, it wasn't great but it was good and entertaining. It also wasn't really Dragonball-ish but I'd count that as a good thing since they dropped several elements from DB which annoyed me anyway so I'm not complaining that they're gone. I was saying this film was going to be garbage too, but I actually sent to it and formed my own opinion., and you know what I was wrong and I'm man enough to admit it..
keikun16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
I'll probably be lynched for this, but I didn't think it was too bad CONSIDERING IT WAS AN ADAPTATION,NOT A F***ING CARBON COPY. ANYONE WHO THINKS CRICICALLY OF THIS MOVIE IS JUST LIKE A STAR WARS FAN WHO DENIES THERE ARE SIX MOVIES AND SAYS THAT EPISODES 4, 5, AND 6 ARE THE ONLY ONES. IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE EXATLY LIKE THE ANIME, JUST LIKE THE ANIME WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE MANGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nevermind, watched it again. EPIC FAIL OF EPIC FAILS.

Last edited by keikun16 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10