• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Box 01

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Have any of you read the back of the box? It's pretty funny as well as true that this is what we've been waiting for over 20 years to have the actual uncut series in a clear cut set. Why the f*** it took them this long is goddamn insulting but I'm happy it's finally happening.

Truly to me, Funi's still saying FU and releasing it with Eng audio, thus killing the episode count when the original Dragon Boxes had 1-147 and 148-291 instead of Nine Box sets from hell. Again.

And you know what? Like abused Haruhi fans,we keep coming back for more.

Do you really want to buy two boxsets at the price of each of the original Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes? There's a reason why they were so rare in Japan: nobody could afford them!

We should all be applauding Funimation for having the good sense to release these in seven sets, making them much more affordable in shorter increments. It's entirely at the consumer's advantage, and is probably their best decision in years, other than licensing the DBoxes in the first place.

If only the folks who tried to get a domestic release for Legend of the Galactic Heroes has this much sense. Like I was going to pay that huge amount and buy the whole series all at once. Nobody can possibly justify spending all that much on an anime at once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Have any of you read the back of the box? It's pretty funny as well as true that this is what we've been waiting for over 20 years to have the actual uncut series in a clear cut set. Why the f*** it took them this long is goddamn insulting but I'm happy it's finally happening.

Truly to me, Funi's still saying FU and releasing it with Eng audio, thus killing the episode count when the original Dragon Boxes had 1-147 and 148-291 instead of Nine Box sets from hell. Again.

And you know what? Like abused Haruhi fans,we keep coming back for more.

Do you really want to buy two boxsets at the price of each of the original Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes? There's a reason why they were so rare in Japan: nobody could afford them!

We should all be applauding Funimation for having the good sense to release these in seven sets, making them much more affordable in shorter increments. It's entirely at the consumer's advantage, and is probably their best decision in years, other than licensing the DBoxes in the first place.
Even Toriyama felt the need to tell people he saw that the MSRP of the original Dragonboxes was too high. I couldn't imagine dropping 1k for any show.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice review, penguintruth (though I can't say I'm much for Dragonball-I caught it back in its Toonami days but never enough to understand what was going on plot-wise, or get past my girlish fascination and horror at some of the more grotesquely muscular character designs). I like this guest critic business. We're really mixing it up around here lately, first JesuOtaku and now you!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Even Toriyama felt the need to tell people he saw that the MSRP of the original Dragonboxes was too high. I couldn't imagine dropping 1k for any show.

Yeah, wasn't that the note he left in the Dragon Book for the first Japanese DBZ Dragon Box? I'm pretty sure I read about that over at Kanzentai.

Aw man, I hope we get that message in one of the domestic Dragon Books. I guess it wouldn't make much sense in the context of the American release, but it's still a note from Toriyama.

The real dream would be a note from him for the North American fans, but I'm not expecting such a thing. We'd sooner get a note from Gen Fukunaga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
We will generally be investing (again) about $700 to $1000 for the series anyway,that will no doubt be released as slow as the Simpsons boxsets, for something we already have 5 times over.( me personally) Yeah man. I want that super expensive dual block of anime that was offered seven years ago. I got their money right now, I don't want to wait another 5 to get it.

I am their demographic that they made this for (then and now), I'm also one of the crazy not-so-nice-people who bought the Trigun and Evangelion series boxsets that came out at $200 a pop. Money isn't my issue, getting the actual product has always seemed to be.

Wait, this is your review ? spoiler[ What did you bug Zac enough to actually do a review.] Nice. Keep it up man,You do have hints in there that you've seen the series forward and backward. Wink I've got it in French and Spanish if you think you've see some stuff.

Anyway, It bugs me that all the releases were eventually released in Dragon Box form back in the day. They are obviously going to do it again for Dragonball. We won't see that for another 10 years! And then there's Kai! Very Happy

Daimao Raki wrote:
That must have been before they drove a dump truck full of money up to his house.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
We will generally be investing (again) about $700 to $1000 for the series anyway,that will no doubt be released as slow as the Simpsons boxsets, for something we already have 5 times over.( me personally) Yeah man. I want that super expensive dual block of anime that was offered seven years ago. I got their money right now, I don't want to wait another 5 to get it.

I am their demographic that they made this for (then and now), I'm also one of the crazy not-so-nice-people who bought the Trigun and Evangelion series boxsets that came out at $200 a pop. Money isn't my issue, getting the actual product has always seemed to be.

Must be nice having money. Razz

I prefer to wait a bit for my cash to recoup so I can buy the next set.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
It is. It takes a lot of work and a lot of hours but no complaints here. Must be nice to write a review. Very Happy See if you can do more.

Currently I'm trying to get a day off so that I can fully enjoy my Dragon box. I just threw those faux widescreen ones into the collection. Seriously, DragonballZ is really starting to dwarf the rest of the collection.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
I apologize people for my lack of tact. The review did a good job of pointing out why the Dragonbox is quite possibly one of the most important releases in the last few years. Just had an issue with the tone of the last paragraph and the non reviewing of episodes. But hell, you know what happens. The lack of alcohol and Daizex has made me slightly on edge. I apologize to penguintruth(get your butt on Funi's forum) and Zac

Please buy the Dragonbox 1. Toriyama needs a new pool full of money and only you can bring it him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
. I apologize to penguintruth(get your butt on Funi's forum)

No, I understood where you were coming from the whole time. It is weird when a reviewer is qualifying his or her enjoyment of a show too much. You begin to think, "Okay, they said they enjoy it, but are they giving it backhanded compliments to stay with the 'cool' crowd?"

As for the Funimation forums, I think I'll pass for the time being. I'm a member of so many forums as it is, and I have a feeling I'd be torn apart in the Funimation forums for some of my more controversial views. I lurk there now and then, they have plenty of folks who cover my opinions.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Primus wrote:
The Ocean dub that was my nostalgia trip (that'll likely never be released on DVD) fixes some of the awkward voice acting, but still suffers from the same horrible script. That and recycled Megaman, and Monster Rancher music.

Also, Power Rangers music. After all, it was Shuki Levy who composed the music at first.

I was talking post-Saban era. Where Goku had many flipflopping voice actors, and a general lack of voice direction led a pretty good cast to subpar performances.

I do wish the Ocean cast would get another shot at the franchise, one without poor scripting, and a decent budget. I do think they could do good with the material. But with FUNimation at the helm that's pretty unlikely.

Unless Toei were to want to produce a dub for Kai themselves and contracting video rights to another company...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
It was Kirby Morrow who took over for Peter Kelamis in the later Ocean dub for the UK, wasn't it?

He's a good voice actor, but he's too smooth sounding to be Goku.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
Forgive me for being totally late to the game, especially since Zac covered all the good stuff (and it seems like people have moved on), but I'll toss a couple cents into the mix, anyway.

Something I'm going to be covering in pretty heavy detail in the relative near future is something I'm seeing pop up in spades in response to this review: the extreme hypersensitivity of today's DragonBall fans.

Just tossing this out there to some of the folks taking issue with Michael's/penguintruth's review -- I don't think you realize he *is* a fan of the show, and you've probably all talked about the show together over on my forum. You just don't realize it.

There's no jumping on any bandwagon, near as I can tell, to toss out snarky insults at the show and demean or degrade any value it may or may not have. Hear me out.

This happens with every property, but I think DBZ is in an interesting place due to its age (from Japan and its treatment in the US) and the kind of fans posting about it online. You have your "original version" fans, and you have your dub fans. But the dub fans break down even further than that. Which dub do they like? Even if you like an English dub, there are two distinct versions of that with two distinct casts (one essentially stealing the script from the other). With one of the English dubs, now we have two musical scores it can be viewed with. It feels like there are endless possibilities for viewing methods for DBZ in North America.

Long story short, people get very attached to what they like. Perhaps it's just that I'm so heavily entrenched in DBZ fandom, but it seems like it's "worse" there than with anything else. You have fans of the original that have been there since pre-FUNimation and simply can't accept any of the various bastardizations that may or may not have occurred. You have post-FUNimation fans that can't deal with the voice cast change. You have much-later-FUNimation fans that know nothing other than what aired on TV after 1999. They all personify the show in a different way, and to (sometimes) frightening extremes.

That's where the problem is. Any criticism of the show (totally ignoring language preferences), even by someone who is also a fan of the show, is taken personally.

Why is it so difficult to accept that long-time fans, most of which have moved far past the honeymoon period with the show, can accept and find novelty in pointing out some of its flaws? It has them. Why can't we say that?

Sorry for the disjointed thoughts Razz.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Primus wrote:
The Ocean dub that was my nostalgia trip (that'll likely never be released on DVD) fixes some of the awkward voice acting, but still suffers from the same horrible script. That and recycled Megaman, and Monster Rancher music.

Also, Power Rangers music. After all, it was Shuki Levy who composed the music at first.

I was talking post-Saban era. Where Goku had many flipflopping voice actors, and a general lack of voice direction led a pretty good cast to subpar performances.

I do wish the Ocean cast would get another shot at the franchise, one without poor scripting, and a decent budget. I do think they could do good with the material. But with FUNimation at the helm that's pretty unlikely.

Unless Toei were to want to produce a dub for Kai themselves and contracting video rights to another company...
I wouldn't mind some of the older Ocean talent being used for Dragonball Kai. Sabat no longer needs to do a majority of the dub voices.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the post, VegettoEX.

As I've said on your (bandwith exceeded!) forum, I was one of those who grew up on the dub, but when later exposed to the Japanese version, I found it a better experience, and found it difficult to return to the dub, except in small doses. I think those were the days when folks would buy second generation VHS fansubs of DBZ episodes and movies unavailable as of yet, because they were desperate to get DBZ uncensored.

Your site and Chris Psaros' were sort of the impetus behind a lot of the desire for fans back then to get DBZ in a more appropriate form.

Luckily, Funimation has deigned it proper to finally start treating the show with some respect. As I've always said, regardless of how high or low brow a program is, it deserves to be treated as though it were the greatest show ever, because to some folks, it just might be.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
I still enjoy Dragonball after all these years. Sure, it's not something incredibly deep or philosophical, but not everything needs to be. It's just straight-up shounen action at its best. It's well-written and has a ton of great characters and is incredibly entertaining. Of course, I prefer the manga to the anime. While the anime has sound, music (Hironobu Kageyama FTW!), motion, and color, it also has a ton of filler and really inconsistent animation quality. I understand that DB Kai removes all the filler, though it has new opening & ending themes (how can you have DBZ without Cha-la Head Cha-la?).

I've put off buying the anime for ages, but I'll probably end up getting this one. If there's one thing I do with Funimation would do (and this is wishful thinking at best) is redub it with an accurate script and the Ocean Group doing the voices.

Oh, and I can't believe Daizex is still around after all these years. I remember them from back when I joined the PlanetNamek.com message board back in 1999. Most of the big fansites from then, including PlanetNamek, are gone, but Daizex is still going strong. Congrats on 11 years of Dragonball fandom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6