• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Imported Manga at Borders and Waldenbooks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay, please name 5 Japanese Bookstores in MAINE. Or Mississippi.

There aren't any, and so far as I know, there aren't any Borders with them on the racks in those states either, so your point is rather moot.

Quote:
Unless we have a huge list from various sources, your arguement is moot right now. Your basing your info on scant info and a Statement from some PR Person at Borders. AND MY POST FROM THE RETAIL FORUM.

Actually I'm basing it on basic marketing strategy. Outside of big cities, there isn't an interest, especially at $12 a pop.

Quote:
Ofcourse, if you really want to prove your point, give me $1,000 so that I can fly to Oahu via Aloha Airlines, and go to Book-Off and buy Untranslted Manga for cheap prices.

Or how about a quarter to do what I keep telling you: Call them, ask them if they have titles X,Y,Z, give them your CC number and have them ship it to you.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

Quote:
Unless we have a huge list from various sources, your arguement is moot right now. Your basing your info on scant info and a Statement from some PR Person at Borders. AND MY POST FROM THE RETAIL FORUM.

Actually I'm basing it on basic marketing strategy. Outside of big cities, there isn't an interest, especially at $12 a pop.

And thus what you refuse to dispute:

ANN Article wrote:
Jen Rickel has written in from Gurnee, Illinois to inform us that her local Borders bookstore now stocks four shelves of imported Japanese manga. Numerous volumes in eight different series, including Ichigo 100% and Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru - Secret Sweethearts were found.

Pluie writes in the Anime on DVD Forums that a Borders store in in Novi, Michigan also had multiple volumes from several untranslated, imported manga, including Death Note, Ichigo 100% and Spiral. Other people have commented on seeing the untranslated manga at Waldenbooks as well.

ANN has contacted the Borders regarding this but has not yet received a response.

Location of Novi.

Location of Gurnee

Wow, maybe what, an hour or two from Detroit and Milwaukee/Chicago respectfully!! Except for maybe the Hmong, I really don't think there is a major Asian Population in the Great Lakes Area the likes of NY or SF Chinatowns or the Ethinic Diversity of Hawaii with the Buddha Head, the Pake, and the Flips (note: I am part of each and Buddhist, so don't you dare call me a racist. It's like saying Frank Delima is a Racist for making fun of everyone in Hawaii.).
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
Ofcourse, if you really want to prove your point, give me $1,000 so that I can fly to Oahu via Aloha Airlines, and go to Book-Off and buy Untranslted Manga for cheap prices.

Or how about a quarter to do what I keep telling you: Call them, ask them if they have titles X,Y,Z, give them your CC number and have them ship it to you.

USPS mangles my mail, FedEx hates the road I live on (4WD Only) and has already claimed a Brown Van, and most of the major Online Stores refuse my corporate account with DHL.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
USPS mangles my mail, FedEx hates the road I live on (4WD Only) and has already claimed a Brown Van, and most of the major Online Stores refuse my corporate account with DHL.

Sounds like you have issues that you need to iron out then. Asking your local FedEx to hold your packages shouldn't be too much of a problem, either that or tell them to do their freaking job and get your shit to you.

Either way, it sounds like you have a lot of personal problems caused by the place you've chosen to live. Call your postmaster (or even the Postmaster General) to keep them from mangling your mail. Complain to corporate at FedEx, Tell UPS tough shit, and DHL is terrible even when you live in a Metro area. Either way. these are problems that you;re going to have to solve yourself, and the stuff can still get ot your door, so you're still completely able to order it.

You're lucky FedEx/UPS will even deliver to you if it requires a 4WD to get there, most places like that on the mainland the post office and shipping companies leave the stuff at a central drop point and you have to come for it
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think this thread should be closed already. I really think so. It is making me sick at the mentallity of some folks and their viewpoints that actually go AGAINST the Anime/Manga Community as a whole.

It seems that the people who are bemoaning Borders for their "expensive" manga obviously have no clue about when Viz used to have their Big-Format Manga for $12.99, and are just as easily crying foul when most manga releases are $9.99 and they cry foul when this happens. And now it seems that someone who is into Manga/Anime for the first time will have a "learning experence" on buying Imported Manga.

Every Hobby, whether it be Coin Collecting or Power Tools, a newbie will get "burned" the first few purchases because of inexperence and he or she will learn from it. I've bene burned a few times with my hobbies, and I learned from it.

I seriously think some of you should relook at Borders idea and think HARD about it. I'm not defending them, i'm merely just defending the HOBBY of Anime and Manga.

Let those folks buy such things if they want to. If they get hooked, then they'll find the other stores that sell them, either in their states or Online. Or Borders will expand their selections and drop their prices. Either way, it's all good. We get another fan, and other people can help them out to look for more.

Of course, if you folks even bothered, they did have a 25% off One Book Coupon that ends today if you signed up for their e-mail. Ever thought of Coupon Clipping?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I missed this post before, the "new post" function stuffed me below it.

Quote:
And thus what you refuse to dispute:

ANN Article wrote:
Jen Rickel has written in from Gurnee, Illinois to inform us that her local Borders bookstore now stocks four shelves of imported Japanese manga. Numerous volumes in eight different series, including Ichigo 100% and Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru - Secret Sweethearts were found.

The very same Gurnee, IL that's 20miles from Chicago where there's a Kinokunya, Chicago ALSO being on my "dense multicultural cities" list. Same goes for the other one.

Gurnee ALSO has a HUGE Asian population, partially thanks to the fact that Great Lakes Naval Base (gigantic, and where Navy boot camp is held) is there, and there are a ton of Asian wives (not as many husbands), a huge number of them Japanese(Yokosuka, Okinawa and other bases) in the area, not to mention the very sizeable Japanes population in the area from immigration.

I've been there twice, seen it for myself, you don't know what you're talking about.

And if you think there isn't a good Asian population in that area, well you're dead wrong. for example, I was as shocked as you will be to learn what a hub Dallas, TX is for J-stuff, but it is.

When they start carrying untranslated manga (and it sells) in Topeka, it's time to get hot and bothered.

Quote:
I think this thread should be closed already. I really think so. It is making me sick at the mentallity of some folks and their viewpoints that actually go AGAINST the Anime/Manga Community as a whole.

Aha, the old "youre either with us or against us" type line, don't let that reality get in the way of the dogma. I helped build the community, I've seen every proposal from here to the moon on how to grow the industry, and this one is just ludicrous, and is simply a big corporation seeing if people will buy books they can't read at a gigantic markup, whether it's the pretty pictures or the actual story that draws them. Joe/Jane Sixpack simply has no interest in books they can't read.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

Aha, the old "youre either with us or against us" type line, don't let that reality get in the way of the dogma. I helped build the community, I've seen every proposal from here to the moon on how to grow the industry, and this one is just ludicrous, and is simply a big corporation seeing if people will buy books they can't read at a gigantic markup, whether it's the pretty pictures or the actual story that draws them. Joe/Jane Sixpack simply has no interest in books they can't read.

Perhaps it is you that is gonna be eating those words.
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Blues of Hadal wrote:
Quote:
I kinda find it funny the people who bemoan Downloading Anime and instead "Pay the Artists" and crucify anyone saying they support Fansubs would turn cheap over Imported Manga

i have nothing to add so i didn't want to post this, but i find it hard to belive people didn't notice this idiotic statement. It was needless to begin with and really had no bearing, its neither sound nor valid in what it says. It should be obvious that supporting whatever brings the material cheaply while given due to the artist is all well and good, not to mention the fact people no matter what people often pay double its original price(often not always). Anyway thats all i wanted to add, sorry if its out of place.

If you bothered to look back at the various posts of others, you kinda notice the meaning of the post. But since you obviously didn't bother to, your post is redundant.

While some of these folks would be quick to defend the US Anime Distributors when someone proudly says "Oh, I downloaded some Anime offa http:///www.bootleganimeforfree.com.org.gov and I love Naruto, it is the 5u[k0rZ!!!" by telling them "Pay the $25 Bucks at DDDVD to get the damn DVD ya Cheapskate!!" now they decide to turn when "*gasp* Borders is selling Untranslated Manga for $13?? Fah, I can get it for $5 at XXX Bookstore!!!"

When you factor in where the bookstores are, cost of S&H, or even how much gas you burn to get to the place, the prices go up to what Borders is selling them for, where their stores are conviently located in a Big Mall or Strip Mall. Hell, I decided to look at where some of the Japanese Bookstores are, many of them aren't in Big Malls, but in either Industrial Parks, off major streets, in Office Buildings, etc. Not exactly "easy to get to."

Also, I am sickened by some folks complete lack of insight into the matter. Nobody sees Borders attempt as a way to draw more folks into Anime/Manga or to learn about Japanese Culture Raw and not "Bastardized" by Stateside Companies (I'M LOOKING AT YOU TOKYOPOP AND 4KIDS!!!). Perhaps Borders Test run has a silver lining perhaps?

Say some kid comes in, buys maybe a few of those "Imported Manga," and also buys maybe a Japanese/English Dictionary, or hell, Japanese in Manga Land. He learns a few new things, wants more. Borders selection is weak, only maybe a few titles. So, he goes online, and finds retailers that has wider selections. He buys more via these folks. If all goes well, he buys more. Soon, he manages to grasp some understanding of Japanese Culture. His grades improve, he's a wiz in Japanese Class, and whatnot.

Perhaps instead of Demonizing Borders for doing something, perhaps you should see it as a chance to get people more aware of Manga and Japanese Culture. Or are we still liking the fact that not too many folks in the World hates such Isolationist viewpoints of the USA?

you're... you must be incredibly stupid. sorry i didn't wanna say this but you think i skipped everypost and went directly to page 3 and somehow only saw this one post. someone already stated that the store didn't do its research and theres cheaper ways of getting the materials and most pedople pointed that out. there isn't a cheaper way to get anime, if there was people should ssupport that legit way, because importing anime cause way too much compare to simply buying it from a near by store. anyway i've read every post posted and no one said anything about that guy so i just wanted to point it out before some download kids went yea thats right look at them complain or something.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Perhaps, but I really doubt it, and you'll STILL have to special order your stuff outside of the major cities. So not only will you have to pay triple, but wait a week to do it.
American Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know of a site where they say what stores are a part of this because if it's not at the Waldens near me I need to drive 3 hours to a store that might have this. I could try to talk people who work at B&N(barnes&nobles) about suggesting this to corporate Twisted Evil guilt trip my neighbor into it because she lived with us for over 2 years Laughing Laughing
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps, but I really doubt it, and you'll STILL have to special order your stuff outside of the major cities. So not only will you have to pay triple, but wait a week to do it.

I can't believe you just said that.

Dude, you've pretty much gave a valid reason on Borders "high" prices. Borders imports the stuff and makes it "convient" for those that can't do Internet or mail order.

Quote:
you're... you must be incredibly stupid. sorry i didn't wanna say this but you think i skipped everypost and went directly to page 3 and somehow only saw this one post. someone already stated that the store didn't do its research and theres cheaper ways of getting the materials and most pedople pointed that out. there isn't a cheaper way to get anime, if there was people should ssupport that legit way, because importing anime cause way too much compare to simply buying it from a near by store. anyway i've read every post posted and no one said anything about that guy so i just wanted to point it out before some download kids went yea thats right look at them complain or something.

Blues of Hadal, before you "correct me," learn to use grammar properly. And CAPITALIZE.
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
So what i said is completely invalid because i misspelled two words with common typos(pedople, ssupport a slip of the fingure really), didn't capitilize three times, and had one wrong punctuation.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't believe you just said that.

Dude, you've pretty much gave a valid reason on Borders "high" prices. Borders imports the stuff and makes it "convient" for those that can't do Internet or mail order.

No, I explained why it's $12. Because they're lazy and didn't bother to do a shred of homework. When a Mom & Pop shop is beating their prices by approx 40%, that's really sad. Borders already has access to the proper wholesalers and international buying power to sell it for $6-7 each tops.

And everyone can do internet or mail order. Money orders are available EVERYWHERE, and now you can get Visa Gift cards that will run through any credit card reader (online or physical)

So there is absolutely no "I can't do mail order". If you have access to the net or a phone you can do it, and if you don't, then you probably shouldn't be dropping your cash on manga.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quote
Blues of Hadal wrote:
So what i said is completely invalid because i misspelled two words with common typos(pedople, ssupport a slip of the fingure really), didn't capitilize three times, and had one wrong punctuation.

When I went to reply, I pretty much lost my place 3 times before I got fed up and said "I can't read this, why even bother replying?"

I am so not gonna point out how I viewed it, out of respect. You have your viewpoints, I have mine.

And don't call anyone stupid without looking at yourself first. Thats the only part I managed to get from your reply.
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:35 am Reply with quote
Right, because its good to start a new paragraph with each sentence. Anyway the name calling was dumb of me and the point was that I didn't go looking for that post because it was in the third page and some way down the middle of it, so how would i skip everything simply to read that one post(in other words i had read every post in this thread).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5