• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GLORIOUS RETURN: Oreimo #1-4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I just finished episode 4 and am looking forward to the rest of the series. I am enjoying the series a lot especially the animation quality, more specifically, the colors. Hopefully, they will reveal more details about the other characters in the later episodes.

I noticed a few more grammatical issues in the subtitles. However, they are all in episode 4, to my knowledge.

Episode 4
6:25 to 6:30

One of Kirino's friends: When you on the phone, you sound really angry and yet happy at the same time.

Did you mean to say: When you are on the phone, you sound really angry and yet happy at the same time. ?

Episode 4
14:09 to 14:14

Kirino: Why do I have to come out to a place like this this early in the morning?

Did you mean to say: Why do I have to come out to a place like this this early in the morning? ?

Episode 4
21:53 to 21:57

Saori: 'Tis true that comiket doth hold its painful hardships...

Did you mean to say: 'Tis true that Comiket doth hold its painful hardships... ?
It is a minor error but Comiket should still be capitalized.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
siradix wrote:
I still know a girl who calls her brother, bubba, and she is in her twenties. So that's not always the case.

There are always exceptions, hence my use of "usually", but one stand-out example is hardly considered normal.

Quote:
As for bud, it's an example of endearment which can still be interchangeable, nothing more.

But it still doesn't mean brother, nor is it endearing. A term of endearment isn't the same as a nickname or slang.

Quote:
If I was acknowledging anything it was that it can seem out of place in western culture. You are the one who finds it "creepy," hence the quotes.

It wasn't just me, maybe you didn't see the others.

The Naked Beast wrote:
Episode 4
14:09 to 14:14

Kirino: Why do I have to come out to a place like this this early in the morning?

Did you mean to say: Why do I have to come out to a place like this this early in the morning? ?

The original is correct. The first this refers to the location, "place like this" while the second this refers to the time, "this early in the morning?" It may look funny, but it sounds even funnier without a second this, you expect something else to be there before the "early". Maybe "so" would have been better?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
The original is correct. The first this refers to the location, "place like this" while the second this refers to the time, "this early in the morning?" It may look funny, but it sounds even funnier without a second this, you expect something else to be there before the "early". Maybe "so" would have been better?

You make a good there, Emerje. I did not realize how silly it would sound.

A comma would also suffice. One thing I learned is that commas can make a big difference.

Kirino: Why do I have to come out to a place like this, (comma) this early in the morning?
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
now thats watching some anime! i mean to see such things! neat who knew! but in my mind those above posts take fan views to a whole new level!

thanks for the posting of this show! hope Anime News Network gets more shows in the future!

neat to see what all the fuss is about!

keep it up fans!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the grammar corrections, they have been made.

As for the various choices made, people need to realize that translation is not a science, but an art. We've made decisions in regards to the presentation, the licensor approved them. You can disagree with them personally however you want, but unless there's something outright wrong about them, or they're functionally defective in some way (I don't think anyone has actually had a problem understanding what's being said, no?) then it's really nothing more than nit-picking how someone else did their job.

I realize that's what fans DO in this day and age, but come on, 5 pages of arguing how to translate onii-chan?
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
I don't normally pay attention to the mistakes if they're not obvious. I think the subtitling is going excellently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Where are episodes 5 and 6, they were due up by now? Normally I'm not in a rush, but I was hoping to watch them before heading for work. Does the 1:58pm start time only apply to episode 7 on?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Where are episodes 5 and 6, they were due up by now? Normally I'm not in a rush, but I was hoping to watch them before heading for work. Does the 1:58pm start time only apply to episode 7 on?

Emerje

I was wondering the same.

It explicitly mentioned the 1:58 start for episodes 5 and 6 in the press release.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The press release was off by a half hour. They're up now.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see ANN using their NEWS box as an advertisement platform for their shows. Way to keep your entertainment and news sections seperate.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
It's nice to see ANN using their NEWS box as an advertisement platform for their shows. Way to keep your entertainment and news sections seperate.

What news box? The marquee? I thought that was just for what was new to the site.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

What news box? The marquee? I thought that was just for what was new to the site.

Heaven forbid I come to ANN for news.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
It is news that The Anime Network, Crunchyroll, Funimation, Viz, Netflix and ANN (notice how it's last) added new streaming content. In case you haven't noticed, free, legal, streaming anime is kind of a big deal in North America.

Also, just in case you're complaining about how OreImo and ToGanu are mentioned, notice it's ALL the content ANN added, not just those two shows, which they just happen to have the rights to. I actually think it'd be more unprofessional not to include them with the other shows.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
It is news that The Anime Network, Crunchyroll, Funimation, Viz, Netflix and ANN (notice how it's last) added new streaming content. In case you haven't noticed, free, legal, streaming anime is kind of a big deal in North America.

Also, just in case you're complaining about how OreImo and ToGanu are mentioned, notice it's ALL the content ANN added, not just those two shows, which they just happen to have the rights to. I actually think it'd be more unprofessional not to include them with the other shows.

When was the last time a Crunchroll show got featured in the box?
jyuichi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
jyuichi wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

Heaven forbid I come to ANN for news.

The news is all there right under the marquee. I don't like it much because it takes up space. However, I think its ultimately good because it makes the front page look a lot nicer to occasional or new visitors compared to a wall of headlines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6