• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Less Cartoony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
That must be a damn high-quality barrel you have there if you consider The Goonies to be at the absolute bottom of it.

I was focusing mainly on the rest of the movies announced. I haven't even seen The Goonies, but I do know of its status. It's the rest that were likely plucked from the "we'll pay you $5 to take these!" bin at Wal-Mart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chosren One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Kyuuketsuki_Kurai wrote:
IanC wrote:
Urrr, whats so "adult" about Roger Rabbit?

The fact that Jessica Rabbit started out in adult cartoons to begin with?

uhh... what?

In her own words: "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way"

And are we talking about Honey I..blah blah the series or just the movie?
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Also, wow. Someone else actually remembers Dinosaucers.

That makes 3 Wink
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Here's hoping they show Battle Royale on [adult swim]. Laughing

That's never, EVER gonna happen, and you can thank Toei from that.

Yeah, um, I really don't like the idea of CN airing live action, but whatever. It doesn't make much of a difference to me.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Also, wow. Someone else actually remembers Dinosaucers.
I have a volume of it on VHS, somewhere. Hey, I was young and did alot of stupid things back then. I look back at now, and relize how far I came.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
poweranime wrote:

I wish they'd use that money to re-air some of the campy 80's classic cartoons so we can all understand more about some of the things in Family Guy... like maybe GI Joe, Centurion, Silver Hawks, Thunder Cats, Dinosaucers, COPS, Jem, Kid Video, Dragon's Lair, Smurfs, He-Man (the old school gay-looking one)... of course I'd want more anime... and at least they're throwing down some Gigantor now =)

They did air some of those shows to a certain extent a few years back.

Thundercats aired during the Toonami block (when it was in the Afternoon where Miguzi is time-wise). GI Joe actually showed during Toonami when it moved to Evenings (or I think during that Saturday Enertainment Video System program block). So did Voltron (not the crappy CGI version made a few years ago) and Robotech.

Smurfs were show I think during the early morning hours.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:02 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
That must be a damn high-quality barrel you have there if you consider The Goonies to be at the absolute bottom of it.

I was focusing mainly on the rest of the movies announced. I haven't even seen The Goonies, but I do know of its status. It's the rest that were likely plucked from the "we'll pay you $5 to take these!" bin at Wal-Mart.

Well I know that "The Goonies" is considered a cultural icon in the age group that saw it when they were young*. The problem I see with this is that group is in there early to mid 30's now. So what in the world is CN thinking?! Are they trying to entertain the parents of the kids who are watching the station? Are these parents really claimering for this and other films?

What I really think is going on here is that the people who run Cartoon Network are in this age group and they are picking films that they like, not stuff their actually audience might be interested in. :shakes head:

Anyway, for those brining up Bravo - what happened with that channel is it was bought by NBC and turned into a second run outlet for there shows (with a few exceptions). Not the same situation as going on here IMO, which is closer to what MTV, SciFi Channel, and other's are doing. Which trying to pander to everyone to try and get their ratings up. IMO the problem with this is that if everyone was really wanting to watch more diverse stations, broadcast network programings ratings wouldn't be down (since that's the style of programing they have). I think this just shows how clueless cable network execs are these days Evil or Very Mad.

*I was in college when "The Goonies" came out, so I'm not in the age group who thinks it was some sort of childhood classic. I've actually never even seen the movie. The only thing I remember about the "The Goonies" is the arcade game they had of it and that is because it was the only arcade game I ever managed to win (IMO this was was probably because the machine that I was winning on seemed to be broken and kept giving me free people Twisted Evil ) Smile
jhuhn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
Hey, Teletoon in Canada in the same thing too when they aired the Beetlejuice movie.
ladumetro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quote
Have you guys noticed that the Anime Network is showing Japanese music videos, and Asian live action films?

So, what's the problem with Cartoon Network showing films that aren't animation?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:03 am Reply with quote
ladumetro wrote:
Have you guys noticed that the Anime Network is showing Japanese music videos, and Asian live action films?

So, what's the problem with Cartoon Network showing films that aren't animation?

Ya, but most of the ones AN's been showing have at least some connection to anime. The films CN plan to show have absolutely nothing to do with cartoons at all.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes its true that CN airs only 7, 8 different shows a day but I don't think they'll run the movies into the ground. I've only seen that Totally Spies movie 2 times since its debut on TV a couple of months ago; if you're referring to those atrocious "Scooby Doo" movies then yes, they show those day after day but its on right after Tickle U so no harm..

We should give CN a little more credit, they know their audience, and they know that they(kids) would much prefer cartoons to live action.

P.S. CN ended that "no live action" rule when it aired the Osmosis Jones movie during the summer.

Last edited by RezSav on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
scatteredshadows wrote:

If that's true, tell me when will MTV go back to music videos?

God, I hope they never do. People endlessly whine about MTV not showing music videos, but frankly music videos for the last 3 or 4 years have been dominated by extremely repetitive hip-hop videos and dull rock videos. I guarantee if they switched back to all videos, all the time (which the channel never really was, at least for any extended period of time), the channel would be unwatchable. As it stands their original programming, no matter how mind-numbingly asinine it can be, is much more entertaining than your average video. Most people who complain about this don't even watch MTV nor do they listen to popular music anyway.

That said this thread is the usual overreaction to something very minor. A couple of live-action movies in the mix (pretty decent ones too, I loved The Goonies when I was a kid, and I'm sure kids these days will love it too) isn't going to be the OH NO DEATH OF CARTOON NETWORK

Cable channels HAVE to diversify their lineup, people, if they want to survive. That said if the lot of you were ever given the chance to determine what would show up on Cartoon Network you'd never come to a conclusion.

Also:

MeggieMay wrote:
Not the same situation as going on here IMO, which is closer to what MTV, SciFi Channel, and other's are doing. Which trying to pander to everyone to try and get their ratings up. IMO the problem with this is that if everyone was really wanting to watch more diverse stations, broadcast network programings ratings wouldn't be down (since that's the style of programing they have). I think this just shows how clueless cable network execs are these days Evil or Very Mad.

Really?! Someone alert the cable industry that their executives are all morons for steadily increasing cable ratings over the last few years so much that the networks had to completely change their content in order to prevent a mass exodus of viewers!

Cable TV ratings are through the roof and have been so for the last year or so. Channels like HBO, Cartoon Network, MTV, Nickelodeon, Sci-Fi Channel, Bravo... all of these networks are thriving. Their ratings are excellent. Your logic is completely faulty and your facts are wrong.

What's really upsetting is that a lot of you are coming in to this thread having done zero research into this topic and yet claiming that you know better how to run a cable network than executives with expensive degrees and years of education who have clearly been extremely successful in recent years.

Facts are not subjective, people.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
jhuhn wrote:
Hey, Teletoon in Canada in the same thing too when they aired the Beetlejuice movie.

And they breached their license by doing that, which is why I filed a complaint to the CRTC about it.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit and I have to hand it to them, they are letting some pretty grown-up words/situations slip threw. Such as the bar scene where eddie asks for scotch on the rocks.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
You know, I watched it too, and I'm a little leary about not having some of the more coarse stuff edited (or overdubbed), especially during "family hour" time. There was at least one "SOB" utterance left unscathed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7