• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
The triangular rivals/adversaries seems like a good idea. It'll allow more contestants for this tournament so why not?

I've been avoiding posting my own nominations because I'm horrible at writing so I'll post a couple of ideas.

Shiki - Humans Vs. Shiki/Okiagari
Conflict - Survival

D. Gray Man - Exorcists Vs. The Earl
Conflict - Enemies

Bleach probably has several Group Vs. Group or Individual Vs. Group adversaries.

If no one does nominations for these series, I'll try my very best at writing my own but it'll be bad.

Voting For:

Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya, Hikaru no Go
The Dragons of Heaven vs The Dragons of Earth, X-TV
Yugi Mutou/ Yami Yugi vs Seto Kaiba, Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters
Naruto Uzumaki vs Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto
Rue / Princess Kraehe v Duck / Princess Tutu, Princess Tutu
Goku vs. Vegeta, Dragonball Z/GT/Kai
Light Yagami and L, Death Note
Zatch Bell vs. Brago, Zatch Bell!
Iga Tsubagakure vs. Kouga Manjidani ninja clans, Basilisk
(Update from here on June 18, 2011)
Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed
San v Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara - Durarara!
Vash the Stampede vs Millions Knives, Trigun
Team Dai-Gurren vs. Anti-Spiral, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam
Humans Vs. Shiki, Shiki
Shinku vs. Suigintou, Rozen Maiden
Nabuca and Shu, Now and Then Here and There
The Elrics vs the Homonculi / Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru, Inuyasha
Humans vs. Machines The Animatrix
Catians vs. Dogisians - Asobi ni iku yo!
Shirou Emiya v Archer, Fate / Stay Night

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I am also, frankly, shocked that no one has done Izaya vs. Shizuo from Durarara!! yet.

I was actually going to start a write-up for them today, but I went and got my nails done instead. I also thought maybe the Yellow Scarves vs. Dollars, but the Shizuo Vs. Izaya just seems to fit better. I may write it up tomorrow if I have the time as well as a few others I have been thinking of such as Milky Holmes vs. the Gentlemen Thieves Alliance, Ronin Warriors vs. Talpa, Afterlife War Front vs. Tenshi, Loki vs. Heimdall, and Kai vs. Maxim, but I want to think about them more first.

Anyway, I'm voting for:

The Digidestined vs Myotismon
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
I'd like to propose a better write-up for Lelouch and Suzaku, since the current one is obviously a cookie-cutter with names c/p-ed into it which is far less than they deserve.

Lelouch Lamperouge and Suzaku Kururugi, Code Geass pic
Type of Conflict: Ideological rivals, Friends turned enemies
What It's About: In an alternate universe, the Holy Britannian Empire has taken control over most of the world, including the country once known as Japan, now called Area 11. Lelouch is an exiled Prince of Britannia whose goal is to destroy his father's Empire, in revenge for the death of his mother and to create a better world for his sister. His childhood friend Suzaku is the son of the last Japanese prime minister, whose goal is to change the Empire peacefully from within. As the story progresses, both act in order to achieve their goals and, eventually, find themselves coming into direct conflict with each other over which way is the right one.
Why They Should Win: These two embody the question about whether the end justifies the means and do so in a way that does inspire debate, without preaching to the audience. Though friends, they continually have to fight each other (admittedly indirectly in battle as Lelouch is a general while Suzaku is on the frontline) and the bond that they share is sorely tested throughout the series (in particular the end of season 1 and most of season 2). Their dynamic is one of the binding elements of Code Geass' plot and without their rivalry, the series would lose some of its intensity.

Also, please, for the love of god, can we spell Lelouch's name during this tournament (should these guys make the final cut, at least)?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'm debating what kind of conflict/rivalry should come out of FMA. Elric Brothers vs. Scar seems the most obvious, or perhaps Elric Brothers vs. Homunculi? I'm also debating what's the best rivalry to pick out of Princess Mononoke. Beast Gods vs. Eboshi? San vs. Eboshi? Beast Gods vs. Iron Town?

I personally think that The Elrics vs The Father would be the best nomination, since all in all, everything has been leading to it, specially towards the end when they were fighting along Scar to try to beat him.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed pic
Type of Conflict: Competitive and Ideological Rivals
What It's About: Several years after a geological "Great Uprising," super-powered individuals called Alter users began to appear. Most live in an area of Tokyo called the Lost Ground, where they are policed by HOLY, an organization of Alter users. Ryuhou, one of the most powerful and prominent HOLY members, is committed to law and order, while Kazuma, who does odd jobs for a living, is an Alter user who is fiercely committed to freedom and detests HOLY's regulations. The two initially come into conflict in a police-vs-criminal capacity, which touches off an ongoing series of arguments and battles which lasts the whole series; even when working together at one point their relationship is testy, and they spend the entire final episode beating each other up over unresolved issues over who's stronger and who's right.
Why They Should Win: The bitter rivalry between Kazuma and Ryuhou is a classic order-vs.-chaos struggle which defines their series. Their individual goals may change over the course of the series, but their conflict remains constant.

And the list on the OP should be current through this post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
Voting for

Kazuma/Ryuohou, sCRYed
Kouga/Iga ninja clans, Basilisk
Lelouch/Suzaku, Code Geass
Nanoha/Fate, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Porco Rosso/Donald Currtis, Porco Rosso
Shunan/Nugan, Beast Player Erin,
Sousuke Sagara/Gauron, Full Metal Panic
Spike Spiegel/Vicious, Cowboy Bebop
Yuki/Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
Arsène Lupin III / Inspector Zenigata, Lupin III
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And no one's paying attention to the two that I nominated in the OP? Really?

I will only support a series if I've seen it, and (believe it or not) I've not seen the two you nominated (although I have seen a few episodes of DBZ).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 am Reply with quote
Nominating

San v Lady Eboshi, Princess Mononoke Pic

Type of conflict: wilderness v civilisation; the irrational v the rational; yin and yang

What it's all about: Lady Eboshi has founded a town in the wilderness to mine iron, bringing prosperity and happiness to its once downtrodden residents, including lepers and former prostitutes. She sees the forest as a barrier to the continued happiness of her people. San is a wolf-girl, raised by the wolf-god Moro, one of the guardians of the forest. She sees the encroaching civilisation as inevitable doom for all that she loves. The enmity of the two women is bitter and violent.

Why they should win: Lady Eboshi and San embody two of the great themes in Hayao Miyazaki's works: the benefits of peace and order; and the ongoing destruction of our environment. He welcomes the one and wonders if we can achieve it without the loss of the other. No solution is provided (unless a real life Prince Ashitaka can mediate the two forces) but their battle represents how we, in our modern world, are losing our balance. Will nature revolt and reclaim our civilisation?

Addressing Key's internal debate: To me San and the beast gods represent the yin in the equation; Eboshi and Iron Town represent the yang. I think that nominating individuals makes the rivalry more immediate and dramatic, but I don't mind if the groups are preferrred. The conflict is still the same conflict; Miyazaki's message remains. (Mind you, there's far broader scope in having broader nominations when it comes to video clips, should the nomination get that far.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
On the subject of three way rivalries: Why not? They are rivalries, after all.

Voting For
Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki, Ranma 1/2
Goku vs. Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z

Voting Against
Lupin vs. Zenigata, Lupin III: I don't buy the idea that this nomination has a bias against comedic rivalry. There are plenty of comedic rivalries with great support, e.g. Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Miki vs. Megumi, Ranma vs. Ryoga. Nor is the concern against Lupin vs. Zenigata based on unevenness. It was based on the interpretation that Lupin doesn't take Zenigata seriously, i.e. the rivalry is entirely one-sided. It is hardly a rivalry if one side sees the other as a minor nuisance from time to time. Nor does an unevenness of skill, even a great unevenness, necessarily lead to such an attitude. The more powerful side may acknowledge the weaker as an inspiration to improve, e.g. Hatoko to Misaki for the first half of Angelic Layer; the more powerful side may recognize the potential in the weaker side, e.g. Ryuho to Kazuma in the first half of S-Cry-d and Ulquiorra to Ichigo in Bleach, both of whom fought seriously to exterminate the weaker threat well before the weaker side caught up in power. Lupin and Zenigata lacks a similar acknowledgment.

Nominating
Creed Diskenth and Saya Minatsuki, Black Cat pic
Type of Rivalry: love rivals
What It's About: Creed is a skilled assassin and a rising star in the criminal organization Chronos. His greatest idol is the thirteenth of the Numbers, the black cat Train Heartnet. Train was ruthless, efficient, and cold as stone. He was the perfect killer, the only one who could be at Creed's side. But then that woman Saya came into Train's life. She taught him joy. She taught him freedom. And Train changed. He mellowed. He left Chronos. He left Creed. With nothing left for him in Chronos, Creed left the organization to pursue revenge on Saya. His greatest wish is to purge her influence from Train so that the two could rule the world side by side.
Why They Should Win: This is an excellent coincidence of the love they bear for the protagonist and their philosophy to life. Creed is a psychopathic assassin, a yandere who wants to preserve the pure and cold Train. Saya is a personable and carefree mercenary, a good friend who wants Train to have the freedom to enjoy life. The lasting influence Saya has on Train and Creed's attempts to subvert it form the crux of the series's tensions.

Natsuru Senou and Natsuru Senou, Kämpfer pic
Type of Rivalry: love rivals
What It's About: Natsuru is an ordinary high school student. He has a huge crush on the cute girl next door, Kaede Sakura. Lucky for him, they take the same bus to school, and she is a pleasant girl who is friendly with him. Before he could work up the courage to confess to her, a rival for Kaede's affections appears. A new transfer student arrives in the gender segregated high school he and Kaede attend: A tall, handsome, busty, and athletic girl named Natsuru. Kaede quickly becomes infatuated with the female Natsuru, who greatly enjoys her attention and misses no opportunity to be with Kaede. The male Natsuru must somehow retrieve Kaede's attentions so he can try to go out with her.
Why They Should Win: The two Natsurus are the same person, and not split personalities either.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
I plan on doing more voting and nominations later, but for now...

Voting for:
Rue vs. Duck - Princess Tutu

marie-antoinette wrote:
Since I have a moment and I already mentioned this planned nomination, I might as well type it up now.

Tamahome vs Nakago, Fushigi Yuugi

As I said above, I feel like this would be a superior nomination to a Suzaku vs Seiryuu one because of how minor the roles of some of the Seiryuu Senshi/Seven are. Also, it would be another case of favoring specific cases over general ones, which is something we seem to be aiming for.

This is kind of a toss-up for me on whether I prefer Tamahome vs. Nakago or Suzaku Seishi vs. Seiryuu Seishi. Some of the roles were minor for Seiryuu, but that also demonstrates their separate ideologies. Seiryuu is the God of War and Suzaku is the God of Love. The Seiryuu Seishi were raised in a war-torn nation with a hated Emperor, and had troubling pasts of abuse or neglect. The Suzaku Seishi, on the other hand, while not immune to tragedy, had considerably better lives filled with commraderie. This is why the Seiryuu Seishi were so disjointed and rarely ever fought together and Suzaku could form such a close-knit group.

Then again, Nakago was the sole reason why there was any sort of cohesion within Seiryuu. Many of the Seishi (and Yui) demonstrated a fierce loyalty to him because he had power and saved them from their wretched lives. So Nakago is the epitome of the Seiryuu ideal (Power, War). And Tamahome is equally the epitome of the Suzaku ideal (Commraderie, Love).

On the other hand, Tamahome vs. Nakago leaves out the additional conflict between Tamahome and Suboshi.

On the other other hand, Amiboshi defected from Seiryuu due to conflicting ideologies.

So, it's kind of a toss-up for me.

@EmbraceMe
Shiki - Humans Vs. Shiki/Okiagari
Conflict - Survival

Oh gracious gravy, I want this. If no one else does this, I may make the nomination. I mean, didn't the Shiki thread become one long-arse argument over this in the end?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

Voting Against
Lupin vs. Zenigata, Lupin III: I don't buy the idea that this nomination has a bias against comedic rivalry. Nor is the concern against Lupin vs. Zenigata based on unevenness. It was based on the interpretation that Lupin doesn't take Zenigata seriously, i.e. the rivalry is entirely one-sided. It is hardly a rivalry if one side sees the other as a minor nuisance from time to time.

I see this as arguing a match before it happens. The entire tournament is probably going to largely consist of arguments like this, of how strong the rivalry/adversarial relationship is.
Now, they may be uneven but they do BOTH acknowledge their conflict, it's not as if Lupin doesn't have to escape from Zenigata regularly, they are acknowledged adversaries (not really rivals, but this is a tournament for both, right?) but I don't see the reason to vote against a nomination if they at least make the qualification. A one-sided rival/adversary is one in which one side has absolutely no reason to acknowledge it, Lupin does acknowledge he has to escape Zenigata and the ICPO... it's just that he knows he can evade escape.

Rivals: Fight to gain the same thing (honor, love, power, etc.)
Adversaries: Fight to keep the other from getting what they want.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:

So, it's kind of a toss-up for me.

I strongly debated this nomination for awhile and in the end, one of the deciding factors was could I think of good clips that show the rivalry? For Nakago & Tamahome, there are about a million clips I could use that come to mind, despite not having seen the series in a couple of years. For the bigger one, it's going to be harder (though I admit, I'm not 100% sure about clips for the Dragons of Heaven/Earth nom either since we never have all fourteen interacting at the same time).

Ideologically, Suzaku vs Seiryuu does offer more. But I think the personal level of Nakago & Tamahome just makes them so much stronger, which is why there are so many scenes to choose from which can demonstrate it.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Vote for:

Pedro vs. That Man Excel Saga ROFL
Probably not a strong pairing, but it'd definitely be funny to have them up against others.

Sousuke Sagara/Gauron, FMP

Kazuma vs. Ryuhou, sCRYed

Natsuru Senou and Natsuru Senou, Kämpfer
At first I disagreed but this could be sorta interesting. I'll throw a vote of support for now and see how it goes.

I also like the idea of the ones from Shiki. But I've been feeling too lazy to write anything productive these days. My god.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara - Durarara! (pic)

Type of Conflict:
Enemies, Brain vs. Brawn

What It's All About:
Ikebukuro is a dangerous place filled with crazy people. Two of the most well-known being the people-loving, informant, Izaya Orihara, and the other being the super-strength, bartender-dressing, Shizuo Heiwajima. Just put these two in the same room and it's a disaster waiting to happen. Shizuo hates Izaya for constantly provoking him and Izaya 'loves' Shizuo for his reactions. When things start to go sour they can probably be found in the center of it.

Why They Should Win: Izaya may be good with a blade, but his real strength is his mind. He is able to manipulate people with relative ease to do as he wants. Shizuo, though not stupid, relies more on his super-strength than his mind and often loses he cool when Izaya is even mentioned. They're fights are interesting with Izaya's teasing and Shizuo's vending machine throwing, and is a classic example of brain vs. brawn.

Not sure how well I did with this write-up...
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Voting Against:
Creed Diskenth and Saya Minatsuki, Black Cat because these two had a third party interest in Train and were not in direct conflict with each other. I don't believe this pairing meets the definition of rivals/adversaries when Saya had no clue who Creed was, even when he spoiler[started killing her].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 20