• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Run Doraemon Anime in U.S. This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The name change argument, I can understand. However, when DAnime hyper aired "Naruto: Shippuden," they kept the names in.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
While I have always found it disappointing when companies whitewash products from Japan like this, I feel it's especially disappointing when we're talking about Doraemon. Doraemon is perhaps Japan's most prolific cultural icon. It would be the perfect show to use as a starting point to introduce younger kids to other cultures that exist in the world. If American children can have shows such as Dora the Explorer and Ni Hao Kai-lan, I do not see why anime can not retain it's Japanese heritage.

In Japan they seem to have no problem with American cartoons. My Little Pony was recently cancelled in Japan and Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles started airing there. All the names are kept and the American culture of the show is perfectly intact and they did not try to trick children into thinking it's set in a Japanese city. Doraemon could have been the perfect ambassador for teaching Japanese culture to children in America.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

In Japan they seem to have no problem with American cartoons. My Little Pony was recently cancelled in Japan and Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles started airing there.

Although I'm not a fan of the show in question, I do tend to keep track of shows that air in Japan and as far as I am aware, the show is simply on hiatus, rather than cancelled. They are keeping the time slot around for the reruns, so I suspect they plan to show additional episodes in the future.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also "shounen" literally means "boy" which would imply it's exclusively for boys which it clearly isn't.

No, that does not imply exclusivity at all, actually. It implies that's who it's primarily aimed at, which it is. That doesn't mean other people can't watch it, but that's who it's aimed at. A show's demographic does not change just because other people watch it. Fairy Tail is watched mostly by women but it's still a show aimed at preteen boys.

bigivel wrote:
And yes Shonen is for people 13-18

I'm just curious, what source are you using for this claim? Toei lists the show under their children's section on their website, just for the record. Seems a bit silly to argue with Toei themselves about this.

In all seriousness, you seem to be going though a lot of hoops to try to tell people the show you like isn't a children's show. It's not something to be embarrassed or ashamed about. There's nothing wrong with enjoying children's anime. Most anime out there is aimed at kids, from Gundam to Magi. It's not something to make a big deal out of.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
While I have always found it disappointing when companies whitewash products from Japan like this, I feel it's especially disappointing when we're talking about Doraemon. Doraemon is perhaps Japan's most prolific cultural icon. It would be the perfect show to use as a starting point to introduce younger kids to other cultures that exist in the world. If American children can have shows such as Dora the Explorer and Ni Hao Kai-lan, I do not see why anime can not retain it's Japanese heritage.

Dora the Explorer and Ni-Hao Kai-Lan are different animals though, as they are aimed at preschoolers kinda like Sesame Street. Doraemon is made just for entertainment. The only way Viz Media would be able to do a truly faithful adaptation which includes all of the Japanese references is if they aired an uncut dub on Neon Alley, which is highly unlikely.

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Fri May 09, 2014 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
matsushima

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Great, now I just have to wait for Ninja Hattori-kun and Chibi Maruko-chan and then all my childhood anime will have come to America.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
@Guile

Agreed. I think FujiPro was so desperate to see Doraemon become a mainstream that they've squelched the golden opportunity of seeing American kids having the chance of enjoying the show within its Japanese orientation. Really sad indeed... Sad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
@Guile

Agreed. I think FujiPro was so desperate to see Doraemon become a mainstream that they've squelched the golden opportunity of seeing American kids having the chance of enjoying the show within its Japanese orientation. Really sad indeed... Sad
The only thing they most likely bemoan desperately is the sales of merchandise that it would have generated had it been released earlier, but they can lament all they want seeing as they were blissfully nescient of any concept of Japanese media especially this and culture being other than a domestic market, and at the very most a small niche market outside of it until Poke-Mon once again blew the lid off all that. So this is way too late coming to the party now. Wink
Jave

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Gotta wonder if Nobita will still be a sharpshooter. The joke of his talent is pretty culturally specific. One of the themes is the only thing he's good at in life is shooting guns, but since guns are outlawed for public use in Japan, it makes his talent fairly worthless, much to his dismay Laughing Poor kid can't catch a break in life. Well he probably wont be using guns in this dub anyway I imagine

ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

If anyone needs context for this image (provided I'm not misremembering), this episode deals with a gun that if you shoot yourself in the head, it'll either give you good or bad luck. Think of it like Russian Roulette, just without the death part.

EDIT:

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

bigivel wrote:
And yes Shonen is for people 13-18

I'm just curious, what source are you using for this claim? Toei lists the show under their children's section on their website, just for the record. Seems a bit silly to argue with Toei themselves about this.

In all seriousness, you seem to be going though a lot of hoops to try to tell people the show you like isn't a children's show. It's not something to be embarrassed or ashamed about. There's nothing wrong with enjoying children's anime. Most anime out there is aimed at kids, from Gundam to Magi. It's not something to make a big deal out of.

It's worth noting that Shonen has a wide age range, so specifically saying that Shonen is 13 to 18 demographic is somewhat in correct. Sometimes it's ages 6+, sometimes 10+, sometimes even older. Provided, there are some Shonen magazines that do tend to lean towards older (the one that Attack on Titan is published in, for instance).

Either way, a lot of it marketed towards younger to slightly older children. Heck, I still surprise people when I say shows like Eureka Seven aired on Weekend mornings, and Gurren Lagann aired on the same day and time slot Sonic X did year ago, both in slots usually meant for the younger crowd. Not to mention, Soul Eater got replaced by Dora the Explorer in Japan.

Demographics are a funny thing, no?

Last edited by ChibiGoku on Fri May 09, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that'll pass by the censors', no problem. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's a children's show in Japan, so there's no reason for it to be on Adult Swim. Though I think it'd work better on Nick. Either way, it's probably an ego thing for the JP licensors to say that they "conquered" the Disney audience with Doraemon.

Anyway, let's see what Crayon Shin chan has to say about it. Rolling Eyes

well can somebody say ANOTHER KABOOM??? in other words, another series that is gonna bomb very badly.

lets not forget that crayon shin chan and ghost stories was also for younger audiences, but the english version got a massive overhaul and became adult comedys .

And after how diastrous naruto shippuden was, i am kinda surprised their even touching any anime that isnt extremely kid friendly like beyblade or digimon.

regardless, this series is gonna tank cause of the insane censorships and editing and i wont be surprised when i happens after the first season ends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah, that'll pass by the censors', no problem. Laughing

There's another, which the new one adapted as well, which is the "Dictator Switch/Button". Basically, it's a gadget Doraemon gives Nobita, in which he can completely erase someone from existence by simply pressing the switch. It was almost as if they never even existed in the first place!

The creepy thing about the episode is the usage of nazi imagery, so it's quite clear what it is a reference to. I suspect the episode might air, but it's going to be heavily altered to remove any references to that. I suspect the name of the gadget will also be renamed as well.

jr0904 wrote:

And after how diastrous naruto shippuden was, i am kinda surprised their even touching any anime that isnt extremely kid friendly like beyblade or digimon.

I take it you have not seen the second part of Digimon Xros Wars... I'll leave this lovely image, here. And yes, she's on screen a lot...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
regardless, this series is gonna tank cause of the insane censorships and editing and i wont be surprised when i happens after the first season ends.
That will remain to be seen. Like I said earlier, kids what watch Doraemon when it's released on Disney xD won't know about the background of it and for them it will be a brand new cartoon. If one is old enough to remember when Battle of The Planets, and Star Blazers were first seen one will know just what I'm on about. Wink I'll add that it is not uncommon for an anime that was originally made for children to grow up just like those same children who could, or would still watch it as they do too. The "otaku revolution" was coined by this phenomena.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

You're acting as if those anime aren't heavily censored in their American airings Laughing I'm kinda disappointed with how many breaks Digimon Fusion takes because after they censored Bastemon I kinda want to see how they handle Mervamon

They got around Bastemon by zooming in the camera on her face and edit out scenes where she's shown from the neck down. If they do have to show her body she gets a lovely digital burqua Laughing It's very awkward censoring for just some midriff and cleavage

I can't really think of a single anime that would be considered 'kid friendly' by American standards without alteration. The cultures are just too different it seems.

ChibiGoku wrote:
The creepy thing about the episode is the usage of nazi imagery, so it's quite clear what it is a reference to. I suspect the episode might air, but it's going to be heavily altered to remove any references to that. I suspect the name of the gadget will also be renamed as well.

Doraemon's got a lot of creepy stuff if you think about it. That one episode Nobita uses a mind controlling device on Shizuka so she becomes his girlfriend Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9