• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan (Case Closed) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:27 am Reply with quote
987 The Company Dissolution Party

That was one of the lamer excuses for murder they've had in awhile spoiler[(actually both murderers had insufficient motives, but the second was weaker)]. Also, I was so sure the ring she was wearing on her left finger in the photo would be significant since she wasn't wearing it later, but guess not. Do they wear rings like a wedding band when just dating in Japan?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
990-91 The Automatic Tragedy

That was really sad. Even brought tears to my eyes. Sad The solution seemed like the police would've been able to figure it out in pretty short order though. Also, not sure why spoiler[he turned himself in. It was an accident, not a crime.]

Of course, I guess they had to end on a light note, which was still terribly tone deaf. Gotta wonder how Conan spoiler[broke the truth to Mori, who was for once quite serious about solving this one.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
997 Intrigue at Smile Village

Ok, this is without a doubt the weirdest Conan I've ever seen. Four super-rich old ladies...invite? kidnap? we don't know! the Detective Boys over to their ultra-luxurious nursing home to, I guess, be their surrogate grandchildren? Because they've apparently been stalking the kids eating lunch outside the butcher shop while cruising around town in their tour bus? Then they each pick their favorite child to do their dream-grandmotherly things to? Like over-feeding poor Mitsuhiko exotic fruits or traumatizing Ayumi with diamond-studded denture ventriloquism. Shocked Shocked Confused Anime dazed

And there were several bouts of very weird animation, which I think was intentional, like when the henchman was hunting them down, moving quickly but stiffly like some sort of android or off-frame-rate old-timey movie.

I don't know, man. I think they were doing some interesting pharmaceuticals when they were making this one.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
997 Intrigue at Smile Village

Ok, this is without a doubt the weirdest Conan I've ever seen. Four super-rich old ladies...invite? kidnap? we don't know! the Detective Boys over to their ultra-luxurious nursing home to, I guess, be their surrogate grandchildren? Because they've apparently been stalking the kids eating lunch outside the butcher shop while cruising around town in their tour bus? Then they each pick their favorite child to do their dream-grandmotherly things to? Like over-feeding poor Mitsuhiko exotic fruits or traumatizing Ayumi with diamond-studded denture ventriloquism. Shocked Shocked Confused Anime dazed

And there were several bouts of very weird animation, which I think was intentional, like when the henchman was hunting them down, moving quickly but stiffly like some sort of android or off-frame-rate old-timey movie.

I don't know, man. I think they were doing some interesting pharmaceuticals when they were making this one.

Yes, I am very much in support of their decision to make the Detective Boys stories the oddest ones. It was like they suddenly realized that maybe they should stop seeing murders every time they went camping or finding one of them (usually Ayumi) has been kidnapped.... although yeah... exactly how they got to that place. Neutral

I guess if Conan just casually gets out, there must have been some proper preparations.

I'm pretty much caught up again, but going to wait until both episodes of the Moonlight Sonata Murder case are out.

(although, after writing this, I decided to rewatch the original, so it's not like I'm spoiling anything)

A little interesting that there are no upcoming episodes with release dates after it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually caught up!

The Moonlight Sonata case was a little too faithful to the original. Seems like they could have tweaked some stuff to better meld with current sensibilities. Aoyama has since figured out that a detective WOULD NOT grab a piece of evidence like that tape player out of its discovered location, at least not without gloves.
And they've FINALLY cut down on Mouri's child abuse... at least the worst of it. But here we have Punchy Shortfuse McGee again.
I guess it would be difficult to update the case's reliance on audio tape... although I guess the ways audio tapes work WOULD be a mystery to many below the age of 35 or so now.
The only thing I noticed that was different was the added sexism of the solution of the original case was removed. In which Conan made a big point that, because the murders took so much strength, that the murderer had to be A MAN (setting up that twist!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I cringed when he grabbed the tape player out of the piano too. Smile I guess this time the child abuse provided a key clue though. And it wasn't as bad as Seiji yeeting him through a glass window!

Heh, I guess I really am an old. I didn't even think twice about the tapes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:56 am Reply with quote
1002 Beika City Shopping Center Garbage Bin Mystery

What's with that title - are they going light novel now?

I figured out the culprit right away, but I think they left us hanging on Haibara's and Sera's feeling they were being watched/or about to be attacked. Unless there's more to that spoiler[cat] than they showed us...

I'm not sure if the narrative tease about the start of a horrible case was referring to the next episode or the Scarlet Bullet movie, given the bullet train video it came with.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that was all pure movie tease. Ever since they stopped with the OVA tie-ins, they have to do them with the episodes.

Well, movie promo and Olympics PSA about cleaning up after yourself.

Tokyo has/had a legitimate worry about garbage accrual. Ever since the '95 Sarin gas terrorist attack (the gas containers were hidden in garbage bins) the municipal governments have drastically cut back on placement of garbage bins. I guess the implication of this episode is that Community groups now have to be responsible for them if they want more bins around.
After the attacks, Tokyoites were largely trained to clean up after themselves and store their own garbage until they got home. But with the Olympics, foreign tourists (and you have to really worry about Americans) who are so used to garbage bins on every corner are likely to just toss their garbage everywhere.

The problem may have largely, unfortunately, solved itself because of diminished expectations of people attending the socially distanced games.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, USians will toss their garbage right next to an empty bin. I've seen people drive up near a bin, open the car door, set the empty cup on the ground, and drive off, instead of pulling up another two feet and tossing it into the bin from their window. smdh
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Trying to catch up to the manga episode.

1009: The Lost Article That Smells Like a Case

Up until the end, that was a good episode.

"Hey! How about we kids YELL out our secret plan for how WE KIDS plan on tackling a bad guy, saving a girl, and running away... IN FRONT OF HIS DOOR!"

...and how about we wait for a couple elevators instead of running down the stairs?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
1011-12 Picking Wild Plants and Clovers

That was kinda iffy in the solution, or rather unnecessarily complicated, but not the worst case.

But man, poor Ayume. She has zero instincts for picking out duplicitous adults, trusting everyone, and always getting betrayed. Twice in this last episode, like a cutiebee flitting from one poison clover to the next. And that's not even counting how she stumbles onto dead bodies left and right - when she's not being kidnapped, that is. Girl's going to be in therapy for the rest of her life.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought the same thing about Ayume's somewhat new role as the unwittingly trusting sucker. But when her trust is rewarded, it is a very sweet moment.

My other main observation is the annoyance I feel at the constant dividing of the plots.
Rum doesn't even interest me much, yet we have like 5 different characters that the shows wants you to think COULD BE RUM!... Their eye hurts! They could be RUM!! Which is just a giant convolution of the story of the B.O.'s leadership and the Akai siblings and on and on and on.... and whenever you think you know something more is added and I =just want to say ---You're a detective! How about you solve SOMETHING!?

[edit]

I decided to edit info into the second post and something occurred to me that could have me forgiving the huge focus on Rum, and that is that Rum is, secretly, spoiler[not second-in-command, as everyone believes, but is KaRasUMa himself. It would simplify things greatly and get rid of the need of an exhaustive second story that involves the search for ANOTHER guy.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
1018-1020 The Antique Tray Can't Be Hidden

That was a pretty good mystery. And I guess that's our annual clue about the Black Org for this year! Wonder what next year's clue will be? Razz

Looks like Conan's going to be kidnapped again next ep, maybe. Though usually they make a bigger deal of it, like putting it in the title or something, so maybe he'll just have a run-in with the bad guy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
1021 Rondo in Bad Company

Ooh, new OP. Why has that kiwano keychain suddenly turned into a thing? It was in the last ED, and I feel like it was in an episode before that. Now it's all over the OP. It's ugly. Go away.

Well, no kidnapping, but that might've been more interesting. This episode just got right to it, with no preamble or anything. It felt like the front end was cut off. "We don't have the murder weapon, but it was a pipe." How do they know it wasn't a bat? Or a table leg? Or anything solid, heavy and rounded?

It was nice to see Chiba get some decent screen time, even if he was wrong. His dramatic roleplaying of the teacher was pretty funny.

Funny fact I learned a couple of weeks ago. I did not realize that Wataru Takagi's seiyuu is named...Wataru Takagi. And in fact, the character was actually named for him since he had no name in the manga when the anime began! Apparently during a recording session, another actor accidentally addressed the character as Takagi, and he just replied in character without thinking, so they just went with it. Smile Plus, I had never realized he's also the seiyuu for Genta!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
A little behind again...

E1025 - Ooka Momiji's Challenge

Okay, so it was a little unclear early on, I guess the mystery was days old and seemingly not of immediate urgency.
But did anyone there realize that if Momiji hadn't withheld pertinent information for HOURS, in order to play her game, that they could have arrived early enough to prevent the eldest brother's death?

If she knew he really was in mortal danger, and still held back the info I'd say it'd be straight-up proof of her being a sociopath unconcerned with the pain of others.
As it is... I'd still say it kind of points that way.
"Oh, a friend has informed me of someone in possible danger... How can I use this for myself?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8