• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ugh, that milk in the eggshell sounded disgusting to me. There's no way to get all the remnants of the egg out of that little hole, so you'd have albumen slime gunking up the texture as you drank, if not clogging that skinny straw. It could perhaps be done right if the shells were carefully prepared well in advance, but not in this kind of time situation.

It showed that she cut out the bottom of the egg to empty it. The contents weren't removed from the hole.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Nice recovery Soma, but it seems to violate the concept of a buffet.

Not really. I've been to buffets with live cooking before. Unfortunately the person manning it was crap and I got a burnt crepe out of it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
You're right. My brain skipped over that part while trying not to vomit. But she didn't wash out the shells, nor explain how she put the shells back together so they wouldn't leak, so I'm still not drinking that. Smile
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
There's no way in hell you could make 380 servings of something so labor-intensive with only a few hours to prepare.

Soma should have made his servings about half of that size...

If everyone had made smaller servings, more students would probably have been able to pass... Think about it. There were something like 800 students (we get an exact number in this episode, after all) making 200 servings.

That's 160,000 servings!!!!

Even with 3,000 guests (I don't remember if we get an exact number of guests, but about half of them were kids), each guest would have to eat at least 53 dishes for everyone to pass.

2/3 of the students passed, so each guest must have eaten something like 35 different dishes. The only way this could possibly happen is if each dish was sample sized, like Megumi's.

I'm starting to think the author really sucks at math.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I too am kind of put off by the math. I thought for sure that a huge amount had been kicked out before now or of the camp.

How many alumni were there to run the challenges? Like 5. And with maybe 30 or so per group, that is like a couple hundred at most. And then taking into account 200 servings with what could no have been a near big enough crowd. Plus you have how they had kind of built up how this was supposed to be a camp to break them, and 2/3 is kind of large.

I was having a bit of similar thought earlier when they were saying that the second year guy being the 7th best is mind boggling, but they have also said something like 5 people graduate a year. So it would make sense the first 5 would be the seniors likely to graduate, followed then by the then likely second years.

And the ingredients for this buffet episode, imagine something like 408 of eggs, muffins, etc, for just one of the 600 students.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that number for students who dropped out was for the entire course of the training camp. So it includes all the people who failed out on day one and two, either because they failed one of the tests during the day, or couldn't make sufficient meals in the evenings, plus those who had just failed the breakfast challenge.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Even then the number don't match up, because over 600 DID pass the challenge.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
How many alumni were there to run the challenges? Like 5.

Remember that when Dojima first introduced the alumni, they filled up the entire stage. It was just that only a handful got names and unique character designs, because the show wasn't going to try and get us to remember the names of all the ones that would never become relevant.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that anime fans can do arithmetic.

On the subject of numbers it seems to me that this vocational school is spending a pretty significant amount of money on these activities. In some cases the students have to pay for the ingredients but the rest of the time the school provides them and in seemingly huge quantities. I highly doubt that tuition covers it any more than grad students pay for particle accelerators. Soma is obviously not rich so his dad obviously knows someone to get him in. Has that been mentioned yet?

Most clumsy moment: explaining to the top chefs what "live cooking" is.

Unexplained moment: How did Mito-san manage to squeak by? Last we saw here she was in real trouble. Not as bad as Soma but still...

Most gratifying moment: it is great to see Tadokoro get weaned from dependence on Soma. She actually out-performed him this test and all on her own.

Amusing reveal notice: Takumi expresses anxiety/concern on Soma's behalf.

Most curious moment: Alice Nakiri expressing interest in Soma because he admitted that he "messed up." So she respects that maybe?

Most fitting moment: The spoiler[reward ending.]
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
I was highly disappointed that this week's episode was a recap and live-action talk show with the cast.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15:

Oooh, new OP and ED theme song.

I like it, perhaps even better than the previous one (might have to rewatch it a bit though) Decent episode I guess, more like a buildup for Soma and the others. Lol, it was fun seeing Soma and Erina travel in the same car too. Soma's dad is pretty funny and by guessing from Erina's point of view, spoiler[it's likely that she admires him because of the photo.]

The new ED theme song is alright. Quite lewd though.

Excited for next week's food battle!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The grammar in your spoiler is incorrect.

I'm glad they finally shed some light on his dad, who has been one of my favorite characters even though he only appeared in the first episode (with one short phone conversation on another) until now. Apparently he took his wife's name.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I was told there are more Michelin rated restaurants in Tokyo than there are in Paris. I have twice eaten at this establishment which is a branch of the rated restaurant in Tokyo. It is quite something.

The list of Japanese chefs that have been rated is quite impressive. I find it surprising that the author of this anime would think that a Japanese chef has never won.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
That's not what he said. What he said was that no Japanese chef has won three stars for a restaurant in Paris. IIRC Shino's is already a one or two-star restaurant.

The difference between a one-star and a three-star is pretty big, at least as far as how much it costs to eat there. A one-star is reasonably priced, comparatively speaking. A three-star is essentially a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us mortals.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

What is this? An episode that was pretty much entirely positive! We don't need gloom in every episode like everything is going to fall apart?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
Camp is finally over..
Time for new adventures!
Yukihira missed the bus back... and so did Erina..
Autumn elections should be interesting.
So Yukihira's dad is back.. and the cat is out of the bag.
It's gonna be a challenge catching up to dad!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13