• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Anime Budgets Compare to American Animation Budgets?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Probably the only way to increase the wages of animators is to get more and more areas on board with the price level Japan pays.

That is never going to happen. It's bad enough that Aniplex and Pony Canyon are playing that game. The higher prices mean less people will buy in the West.

Also we have been told repeatedly, that foreign sales of anime are miniscule, when compared to Japanese sales. Higher prices will mean less sales.

This. I flat out refuse to pay an obscene amount of money for releases from these companies. They are not worth it, especially when you take into account how low the budget of anime is.

The only reason they make ANY money on disc releases in Japan is because of the obscene price, which in turn causes low sales, which in turn needs obscene prices for higher profit margins, rinse repeat.

Merchandising isn't very widespread here either aside from what imports you can buy. How can they tell that someone overseas bought merch when they sell it to a reseller who then may or may not offer sales to foreigners?

Licensing is another thing. There's no way they aren't making a LOT of money on licensing to foreign companies for disc and streaming rights. Isn't it infamous now how expensive things are getting just for streaming? It's ridiculous. That's free money right there for them from licensees

Half the people who work on Anime probably can't even afford to try and enjoy the show they made because it's so [expletive] expensive.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
The anime studios need to get a cut of the loot beyond just sales of videos, from the other merch/licensing/revenues/profits/residuals/etc. Then they can use those extra money to pay their animators better.

But unless they co-own some of the intellectual property rights, not sure how they gonna do that, unless the other members of the production committee are willing to share their parts of the loot.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

If my memory is correct, Batman the animated series was done in china.

Some work on Batman TAS was done in Japan by studio Sunrise. The rest was done by Warner Bros Animation in the US.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
If going by SHIROBAKO, the average animator isn't exactly working like an indentured servant like a lot of us outsiders seem to perceive. They get to attend nice after parties when the project's over.

While Shirobako was somewhat realistic, it was also pretty idealized in some ways. And even in Shirobako the people worked a lot. I think it's pretty common that people in the anime industry work six days a week, 10 hours a day – probably more when a deadline draws near.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Just want to add what "Tezuka Curse" is, basically Osamu Tezuka set production cost of TV animation so low that it became the industry norm. Even today it's not certain that his cost undercutting is completely true or not, but Tezuka was not a good business manager and he only had tons of passion to make "home-made" animation

I'm sure it is in at least one of his books too, but Jonathan Clements talked about it in one of his Finnish panels that are on YouTube (I'm assuming the "Wrong about anime" one rather than the hentai one). How he set the standard for all the money saving tropes (animating on 3s, the long opening and ending sequence, stock transformation sequences, static pans etc.) and also undervalued the product, claiming it cost less to make than it actually did.

enurtsol wrote:
The anime studios need to get a cut of the loot beyond just sales of videos, from the other merch/licensing/revenues/profits/residuals/etc. Then they can use those extra money to pay their animators better.

But unless they co-own some of the intellectual property rights, not sure how they gonna do that, unless the other members of the production committee are willing to share their parts of the loot.

Ultimately they do. It is the companies selling figures and CDs that put the money into the kitty that pays the studio to make the anime. Likewise, it is rarely if ever the studio themselves selling the discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
And even in Shirobako the people worked a lot. I think it's pretty common that people in the anime industry work six days a week, 10 hours a day – probably more when a deadline draws near.

From my understanding, that's pretty common for ANY Japanese workplace. While I'm not trying to minimize the struggle Japanese animators have to go through, that DOES become a question (like the Computer animator is confronted with to a degree) of would you rather work long hours for low pay on something you love, or long hours for middling pay on corporate drudgery. While the pay may vary, from what I've seen (and have heard) the Japanese "workload" is (for good or ill) pretty consistent across all industries.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
With half the anime, there would be more episodes (we could have more 20-24 episode anime, maybe 30-36 if we're lucky) which means more disc volumes of said anime, and more merchandise and CDs (as with more episodes come more OP and ED themes). Also, it's an opportunity to cut the fat (bad LN adaptations for example) and focus on what's good and market it well and provide enough merchandise.

None of this would work at all. Half the anime means more episodes? What, you going to air 2 episodes for half the number of shows per week? That is still the same amount. I think you really just meant shows go on longer, but that doesn't make sense either. Double the length of every series and cut the number of series in half is still the same amount of episodes. You'd be asking the anime industry to produce the exact same amount of episodes in a given week as they are now. This likewise means you aren't going to see an increase in the amount of new merchandise available in a given period.

Really the problem isn't the shaky math, it is the lack of understanding of how things work. Japan lowering the total number of anime airing at a given time wouldn't lead to a proportional increase in popularity for the remaining series. Popularity for the rest would probably increase, but not at the same rate.

Do you know why series are usually short? Risk. Committing to a longer run and having the series bomb is extremely costly. Just because they're doing less series doesn't mean they're willing to risk more per series.

You also need to consider who is putting up the money and why they are putting it up. You mention those bad LN adaptions, but cutting them isn't going to get most of the money put into something else. Publishers are one of the primary backers for those because an anime almost always gives a significant boost to LN sales. They aren't going to put up the cash for something else. It isn't just LN adaptions either. Investors often have a specific reason they're backing something.

You want better marketing? That costs more, and that money will come from where? Sure, more marketing can lead to more sales. However, by how much? Most anime is pretty niche. I doubt there is a sizable amount of potential consumers that are just unaware of a series they'd be willing to pay for. Remember, due to how the demand curve for anime is, they've already priced out the casual consumer. And speaking of merchandise, most series move less discs for later volumes so cutting the number of new series in half to double the length will mean in general taking a hit.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
While everyone gasps at low budget of anime, the another question should be why their budget is so low all the times.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
In order to raise the budget for an anime project, it would require that the market will become more profitable, which means more people need to buy the products. But anime in Japan is pretty niche as-is, so unless additional revenue options will become available (like the revenue from streaming abroad), it is unlikely that the situation will change any time soon.
bin1127

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
I was doing some simplified calc on what a frame might cost or paid to the animator and given what this article said about some shows with 200k budgets then a 24 minute show would have 34,560 frames $5.7/ frame? probably minus OP and ED. but can an animator actually make enough to even recover caloric expenditure on all the drawing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5