• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Dangerous Anime Boys Are All The Rage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:05 am Reply with quote
I think Show By Rock can be classified as both a harem and a reverse harem series at the same time. It's such a good show. I can't wait for season 2.
LiteKnite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
LiteKnite wrote:
Is there a series that combines harem and reverse harem?

Not really. You might find an occasional series out there where male and female co-protagonists have their own groups of love interests (Ranma ½ immediately comes to mind, though in that case it's the same character alternating between male and female form rather than co-protagonists), but even those are very rare. Taking a full-fledged harem and reverse harem approach at the same time would be so contradictory that it would be unmanageable.

Good call. Ranma 1/2 is also aimed at females and children, and characters get violent and go so far as to use date rape like drugs on one another. Would unmanageable be another word for chaotic? Rumiko Takahashi pulled 100+ episodes off a single premise. Maybe we don't see a lot of harem & reverse harem because studios need more than a 13 or 26 episode season to tell the story, so they are pressured to play it safe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5