• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Several Handshaking Events Cancelled After Idol Attack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap. I know there were stabbings at handshake events reported before but not to this extreme. I hope she pulls through and has a successful recovery. I think the whole, "don't date because you are an idol" rule almost sets up theose who obsess over them to go beyond what's acceptable as a fan. Something has to be figured out by the industry and on the mental health end too so things like this can hopefully be prevented.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
Something has to be figured out by the industry and on the mental health end too so things like this can hopefully be prevented.

The industry doesn't have to do anything. The stabbing didn't even take place at an event, but close to a train station. Japan has stalkers, and the United States has stalkers. It has nothing to do with the idol industry or anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
animefan1238 wrote:

Something has to be figured out by the industry and on the mental health end too so things like this can hopefully be prevented.

The industry doesn't have to do anything. The stabbing didn't even take place at an event, but close to a train station. Japan has stalkers, and the United States has stalkers. It has nothing to do with the idol industry or anime.

I think the industry does - the industry is a major enabler in normalizing this type of obsessive behavior, even though the industry didn't have a direct hand in this incident. (Kinda like gangsta rap industry with street shootings back in the 90s - not direct hand but still a major influence. Many rap artists realized this and actively turned it around with a more positive influence while still getting their 'hood message across.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I think the industry does - the industry is a major enabler in normalizing this type of obsessive behavior, even though the industry didn't have a direct hand in this incident

The industry is not an enabler. Stalkers are stalkers. They are sick or evil people who think they have the right to claim the object of obsession as theirs. Whether it is an idol, the girl next door, the college girl in the fuzzy sweater, or the local weather reporting lady, there are still going to be stalkers.

Saying that the industry is responsible for the actions of stalkers, implies that they have the power to reduce the stalking problem. That is simply not true.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I think the industry does - the industry is a major enabler in normalizing this type of obsessive behavior, even though the industry didn't have a direct hand in this incident

The industry is not an enabler. Stalkers are stalkers. They are sick or evil people who think they have the right to claim the object of obsession as theirs. Whether it is an idol, the girl next door, the college girl in the fuzzy sweater, or the local weather reporting lady, there are still going to be stalkers.

Saying that the industry is responsible for the actions of stalkers, implies that they have the power to reduce the stalking problem. That is simply not true.

There are stalkers, but there are also enablers. Again, akin to the gangsta rap industry, they're not directly responsible but are major influence. There will always be gangsters and murderers, but the gangsta rap industry had shown that by taking a more positive influence, it helped turn things around in the streets. People are influenced by things around them; we do not exist in a vacuum. Not one is responsible for everything, but every little thing helps. (Thank goodness the rap industry artists realized it.) The idol industry is not responsible for the action of all stalkers, but for this particular type of stalking, their influence helps necessitate calm the idol obsession down.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Dude the industry pretty much puts a huge target mark on their idols for stalkers, so they should take measures against them because I doubt she would have been stalked and stabbed if she wasn't in the Idol business. The agencies are happy to take the money that the idols bring in with their publicity, thus, they should be willing to safe guard against the negative attention that kind of publicity brings.

My fear is that she was an up and coming idol, making her not a big money maker for the agencies, they probably were more lax with her security and safety then their bigger idols. That is what worries me.
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
.....industry pretty much puts a huge target mark on their idols for stalkers, so they should take measures against them.....
.....she was an up and coming idol, making her not a big money maker for the agencies, they probably were more lax with her security and safety then their bigger idols

She was attacked and stabbed near a train station. No industry in the world is going to provide a 24/7 level of security for all of their employees and only that level of security could have possibly prevented this attack. John Lennon of the Beatles didn't have that level of security.

enurtsol wrote:
The idol industry is not responsible for the action of all stalkers, but for this particular type of stalking, their influence helps necessitate calm the idol obsession down.

I am not sure what exactly you want them to do. Do they really need to announce that it is against the law to stab your favorite idol to death, because she doesn't love you and doesn't want to run away with you. The idol industry doesn't glorify the sexual harassment, rape and murder of women.
Perhaps you can ask Justin or Zac, whether the idol industry makes some kind of public service announcement at these events. Something along the lines that it is wrong to mistreat their idols, much less kill them.
Some food for thought, does our country do the same. Does American Idol or the Voice issue announcements to their fans, that it is wrong to mistreat women. To me it just seems that we hold Japan to higher standards than we hold ourselves too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

The idol industry is not responsible for the action of all stalkers, but for this particular type of stalking, their influence helps necessitate calm the idol obsession down.

I am not sure what exactly you want them to do.

Can just start with something simple, like making it clear that:
"Folks, dial it down a little. Idols are human beings too, not on a pedestal and not to be owned for fulfilling your dreams come true. Don't invest in them so much financially and emotionally since they don't owe you the equivalent. If you find yourself going overboard, please talk with appropriate people who you can rely on. Enjoy the show, but keep it from going beyond."

Yeah, something as such. No wishy-washy fuzziness - just clear and concise. Can even do a talk/variety show promotional tour with it.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Some food for thought, does our country do the same. Does American Idol or the Voice issue announcements to their fans, that it is wrong to mistreat women. To me it just seems that we hold Japan to higher standards than we hold ourselves too.

The idols themselves, or their entourage, tend to fight back and let such fans know to dial it down a little, or at worst, file for a restraining order with the local authorities. (Needn't have to go all the way to the realm of illegality before needing to be dialed down.)
omiya

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
"Folks, dial it down a little. Idols are human beings too, not on a pedestal and not to be owned for fulfilling your dreams come true. Don't invest in them so much financially and emotionally since they don't owe you the equivalent. If you find yourself going overboard, please talk with appropriate people who you can rely on. Enjoy the show, but keep it from going beyond."

Sounds good - if you're a fan, just be glad to be able to get to some of the fanclub exclusive events. Good artists and management also avoid trying to give a false impression that the artist is something that they're not.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
@Lactobacillus yogurti: I don't know about highest but the Japan Times article "Stabbed idol in critical condition; fan faces charge of attempted murder" mentioned a mere six years for a similar attack at an AK48 event. The suspect attack 2 of the members with a saw in May '14. In Nov. '14, he plead guilty in Nov. '14 and his 6-year sentence was finalized in Feb. '15.
bhl88

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Do people chase after something they are unable to reach? Maybe putting the idol on top of an unreachable pedestal was not such a good idea after all....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5