• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Producer Speaks About Casting Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
The movie from 1995 was set in Hong Kong.

This is a substantially wrong statement, no matter how often repeated it is. Modeling parts of Niihama-shi/New Port City on Hong Kong does not change the fact it is 1) Not Hong Kong, 2) despite a large number of Chinese looking all kanji building signs, civilian character names and things like the writing on police vans are Japanese.

It should also be noted that there is reason for a lot of other Asian influence because of WWIII refugees.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
I'd say it's more believable for some Japanese to come to Hong Kong than for infrastructure of Hong Kong coming to Japan.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
That's nice but it doesn't change the truth. It's like claiming movies clearly stated to be in Chicago or New York are really set in Toronto because they were filmed there. It looks like Hong Kong because that's what Oshii thought future Asian cities would be like, not because it's meant to be in Hong Kong. Even in the middle of the montage of Hong Kong based locations you get Japanese school children with their trademark yellow umbrellas.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
As an Asian-American female, I can without a doubt say that I....Really don't care about this and will see this movie regardless of who plays what role

I'm not the biggest fan of GiTs (saw the first movie and Innocence, and was really confused) but I want to support this movie's success since it'll give a chance to expose something anime/related (and not Miyazaki) to a bigger audience. It at least looks like more effort is being put into this one than the DBZ movie, which is a really good start.

ScarJo as this movies lead guarantees that more than anime fans are atleast going to check this movie out, and that it won't reek of inexperience. There aren't that many Asian-American actresses let alone ones who are Japanese and skilled enough to both act and do action really well like ScarJo. So I think it is a mix of both a household name and actual acting experience. I'll take her playing the Major any day over someone who is still learning the ropes of acting in action roles and was chosen solely for being Asian.

Not to say there aren't talented Asian actresses and hidden gems out there in Hollywood. Rinko Kikuchi was amazing in Pacific Rim and it would have been nice to see her lead this movie too. But like a lot of people have pointed out: Terra Formers. And I don't think it would have worked out in the movie's favor if they just settled with any Asian. Casting a Korean or Chinese actress to play a Japanese woman just wouldn't sit well with a lot of people.

So in the end, for me this is the safest route overall, as a movie based on something so niche shouldn't risk too much.
Grainne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
Interesting that they justify picking Scarlett Johansson instead of an Asian actress by that they're taking an "international" approach, and then cast Asian actress (Kaori Momoi) as her mother. She's international but her mother is Asian? That really makes it feel like she's "playing" Asian...
Sticks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I have only ONE opinion regarding this film.... and it's not about the white-washing or elements of the story.

My issue is with the casting of Johansson herself. NOT because she's a white women, but because of the studio's decision to use her as an action hero when she's already played an action hero many times already in other films. She's becoming the action "it-girl" for when they need a heroin in an action movie.

There are plenty of other actresses in Hollywood who could've played the Major. Yes, it can be argued that a Asian actress should've or could've played her, but even if they still wanted a western actress for the part, there's no real reason for them to have chosen Johansson. I can see other actresses that could've played her.

I'll use Olivia Wilde or Jennifer Lawrence as examples to prove my point. There's no reason why the producers couldn't have called on either one of these two to play the Major.

Johansson is becoming too familiar in action films. We've already seen her throw a punch, kick someone or do a back flip in her last movie. "Hey look, Black Widow is playing the Major with a really bad haircut".

Their reasoning is simply about money... They wanted an actor who would practically guarantee the moviegoers will come to see. It wouldn't have mattered if the story sucks as long as they get to see her or her a**.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:

I'll use Olivia Wilde or Jennifer Lawrence as examples to prove my point. There's no reason why the producers couldn't have called on either one of these two to play the Major.

Besides them likely working on other projects, I also don't think Wilde would get anywhere near a big production in considering most of movie are awful or forgettable.

Sticks wrote:
Johansson is becoming too familiar in action films.

Most of her works are dramas or romance films with the few other films she's made being comedies, and action films you make it out as if she's the Sylvester Stallone of the female acting world.

Sticks wrote:
Their reasoning is simply about money... They wanted an actor who would practically guarantee the moviegoers will come to see.

You can make the same argument about Jennifer Lawerence though especially in light of her roles in the Hunger Games and the last three X-Men films along with her being a 2-time academy award winner.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm saving all jdugements for one of my favorite franchises when I can see a trailer and hear Scarlet Johanson act. That's what I care about, not whether or not the Major is Asian, because in story. only her brain is left of her body!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5