• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film's 1st Trailer Shows Nat Wolff as Light

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Making L black was a brilliant move since they made Light a white kid. If you are going to Americanize Death Note, add some intrigue by creating a racial dynamic between the two main rivals. I can guarantee that that fact alone will make this movie more interesting, and I hope they use that in some way to flesh out L even more and make him a more unique character. If L had been just some other random white dude or even an Asian guy, I don't think it would have added anything new to the Death Note universe. Why not just go back and watch the anime or one of the Japanese live action movies. But I think this is going to make it memorable.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
...and the Japanese movies ended differently and people whined about them but now people are telling everyone got go watch them instead if they have a problem? Others complain about white-wash and yet fan-favorite L who is supposed to be British/German/Russian/Japanese is black.

Take it as a different take. It isn't bad until its actually bad. It's not here yet.

In that case, what this movie needs is for the next adaptation of Death Note to come around so it can be compared favorably to that.

It works with seasons of The Simpsons.

JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
The IT Crowd
Dragon Ball Evolution
Hell's Kitchen
Kitchen Nightmares
The Ring
OldBoy
Speed Racer
Astroboy

These are just the more recent works remade for American viewers and I've had enough of them. I'm also really fed up with people saying 'wait and see' because I've given way too many chances to have any hope.

I'm not sure what your point is. Those movies and TV shows are all across the board in quality.

7jaws7 wrote:
Let's face it, the only way for Death Note (and everything else in Japan) can be shown in the West is by full-blown Americanizing it.

I don't like it, other fans don't like it, but a general audience wouldn't know what a shikigami or a yandere is, so it has to be dumbed down.

It's not dumbing it down. It's retooling it for a different audience. You can't place Light's story into a different country and do it one-to-one. It won't make any sense. It's not like anime and manga terminology and tropes are some form of high art or anything. I mean, you could argue that Spider-Man was dumbed down for Japan back in the 70's.

(Also, it's "shinigami," though some translations translate it directly as "death god," which I'm guessing they'll do here.)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't like it. They once again Americanized the series with sex and unneeded action.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Looks pretty good to me.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the amount of people who don't understand what adaption is is really surprising. Were the ones complaining really expecting a scene for scene adaption from the manga source material? Marvel movies don't even do that. You know why? Some stuff just does not translate well into the movie format.

Some people are complaining just to complain, but then again this is the internet.

"I don't remember a ferris wheel in Death Note." There wasn't. Anyone who knows anything about Seattle can tell you that ferris wheel is perhaps one of the best known landmarks in Seattle, 2nd only to the Space Needle, which is also shown in the teaser. As someone who lives in the Seattle area, I'm looking forward to watching a movie where a whiny little teen I want to punch, screws up stuff I walk by every day.

"It looks like CW high school stuff." This is an American adaption of a story where a HIGH SCHOOL boy gets a mystical book that can randomly kill people. Key word there is High School. Did you expect no scenes from where a teenager spends most of their time?

Some people really need to just grow up already and realize Death Note isn't the glorious infallible masterpiece some people remember it being. It got repetitive and went in circles trying to impress people with how deep it was when really it was just a shallow teen comic. An American adaption isn't going to delete the original you love so much. Go read the comics or watch the JP live action films/anime if this offends you so much. I for one am looking forward to trying it out and seeing what they do with it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
As someone who lives in the Seattle area, I'm looking forward to watching a movie where a whiny little teen I want to punch, screws up stuff I walk by every day.

That is by far the most interesting way to describe this movie I've seen yet.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
As someone who lives in the Seattle area, I'm looking forward to watching a movie where a whiny little teen I want to punch, screws up stuff I walk by every day.

I forgot to add that whiny little (psychopathic serial killer) teen I want to punch is being hunted down by a Japanese-American FBI agent and a super genius black guy? I'm totally game. Yeah, this movie is sounding better to me already.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I forgot to add that whiny little (psychopathic serial killer) teen I want to punch is being hunted down by a Japanese-American FBI agent and a super genius black guy? I'm totally game. Yeah, this movie is sounding better to me already.

Ditto to all of that. Kind of sounds like a pretty multi-cultural movie when you put it like that too. The heroes are black and Japanese-American and the white kid is the villain. It's kind of brilliant.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
I was really having a laugh watching all the youtubers getting all huffy over the casting choices. I think this is going to be a lot of fun with how they've changed the look of the characters. The trailer makes L look like even more of a bad ass too. If this dude pulls off the eccentric L characteristics this could be just amazing AND different. I agree with those who say if you want a close clone of the original, watch one of the many Japanese live action properties.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Wow, the amount of people who don't understand what adaption is is really surprising. Were the ones complaining really expecting a scene for scene adaption from the manga source material? Marvel movies don't even do that. You know why? Some stuff just does not translate well into the movie format.

Anime fans know about adaptions, it is just they are used to faithful adaptions - which Hollywood adaptions never are. There's more expected out of anime Hollywood adaptions because we are used to them being faithful like when an anime aadaption is announced. Where as a typical book or comic will never get a faithful adaption beause there's no market for it in the west like Japan, and those fans generally take what little recognition they can get.

Outside of the Death Note itself, the trailer looks no different than any other crime show or movie out of Hollywood. If Light Turner was a killer who used a knife or gun instead, it would be indistinguishable.

-Stuart Smith
fullmetalgirl21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
American Death Note still seems weird to me, but I always enjoy watching things set in my city.

Also, Nat Wolf looks insanely weird with blonde hair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5