• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime to Stream Animeism Shows Including Altair Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Defending AS is practically saying "I want a future where only one company owns simulcasting."

Odd as FUNimation and Crunchyroll formed an exclusive partnership which definitely hurt Sentai. I'd see that maneuver as much more invasive in terms of attempting a monopoly.

But the partnership was a response to Amazon and Netflix entering the market with their big wafts of cash and little regard to how the anime community actually works. So it all goes back to Amazon again
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Can't say Cable TV is a fair comparison, especially in the 1990s. When it was in its height there was no free option.

By free you mean illegal, am I right? Of course there was, you connected a coaxial cable from the pole and connected it to a TV inside your house. Oh, you mean later on where they started releasing their cable boxes? There was this little chips you could buy from ads in some magazines, some soldering and voila.

People tend to beautify the past anyway they like "piracy didn't exist back then" is a classic. You might say nowadays it is easier, but I can say nowadays (at least in the USA) you can end up in court quite fast while back then people were rarely prosecuted in a court of law for so called piracy.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

By free you mean illegal, am I right? Of course there was, you connected a coaxial cable from the pole and connected it to a TV inside your house. Oh, you mean later on where they started releasing their cable boxes? There was this little chips you could buy from ads in some magazines, some soldering and voila.

People tend to beautify the past anyway they like "piracy didn't exist back then" is a classic. You might say nowadays it is easier, but I can say nowadays (at least in the USA) you can end up in court quite fast while back then people were rarely prosecuted in a court of law for so called piracy.

Nowadays it's significantly easier to pirate by a huge margin. As someone who grew up during that era, the average person was not aware or able to set up any of that stuff, or even understand how to -- and they had to pay money for the equipment to do so, so it wasn't exactly "free". Your average fan of television could not have done that unless they got someone else to, unlike today where they can Google "[Insert show name here] episode 1" and be met with a plethora of illegal sites. And those who use the sites rarely get in trouble, it's those who act as illegal distributors.

And I don't just mean via pirating sites. Most anime streaming sites have a free version.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
OMG, this is huge! Especially since the Animeism block has been making and hosting some of the best recent anime titles from recent years. It just shows how much Amazon are spending, which is fantastic because a lot of money is going in Japan right now. And with this, Amazon got almost every promising anime from summer.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:
I'm curious about Knights of Sidonia season 3, since 1 and 2 were Netflix originals that originally aired in the Animeism block.

They had better not touch that or the second Blame! movie. Hopefully they know better than to mess with Netflix.

I doubt they will get it. Netflix largely funded the production, so they will probably have first shot at the Blame sequel. Knights of Sedonia could be a different story though. But why should Amazon worry about "messing" with Netflix? They're a larger company with more revenue and cash reserves. Not to mention, they already have a larger streaming library than Netflix, and they've taken away a number of catalogue titles that had been exclusive to them.

Netflix is only marginally profitable, and their revenues aren't especially high for the number of subscribers they have. The only thing that has kept them from being bought out, or subject to a hostile takeover, is the fact that their stock is ridiculously overpriced. Of course, the same can be said for Amazon's valuation. Both are trading at many times what they should be, and both have fairly slim profit margins. But then again, the entire stock market is incredibly over valued right now and due for a correction.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Defending AS is practically saying "I want a future where only one company owns simulcasting."

Odd as FUNimation and Crunchyroll formed an exclusive partnership which definitely hurt Sentai. I'd see that maneuver as much more invasive in terms of attempting a monopoly.

yeah, people seem to be forgetting funiroll's attempts at a monopoly. I mean, AS' system sucks, but funiroll have literally been trying to get a monopoly on simulcasts, and made deals to try and ensure that. It's not like funimation and crunchyroll are innocent in the "want one company (*or two in a joint partnership, in funroll's case) to own simulcasting" stakes.
Radames125470

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
At least CR and Funi have shown they care about the community. The only thing AS cares about is money. They don't care if their service sucks, if their subs suck, nor if their shws they do get are even successful.

That's the sad part of it all. All the shows that go on AS completely fade from the public eye into obscurity. It's a shame.

Their are tons of shows they have this season that would have done amazing on CR but completely flopped on AS.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
^Do you have specific examples? Certainly some may have gotten more viewers had they been on CR but compared to Netflix's titles or The Great Passage, I don't know the effect on Strike's titles aren't merely marginal. But if you have a clear example I'd like to hear it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Radames125470 wrote:
At least CR and Funi have shown they care about the community. The only thing AS cares about is money. They don't care if their service sucks, if their subs suck, nor if their shws they do get are even successful.

It really doesn't matter. A monopoly, whether or not they claim to care about their market, is never a good thing. Companies that have a stranglehold on a market, and are owned by massive media and communications giants aren't always guaranteed to do what's best for their fans.

Not to mention, no competition leads to stagnation. What happened when Amazon announced that you could download Strike shows to your phone? CR immediately said they were planning on doing the same. That probably wouldn't have happened if another service hadn't done it first. A company with no commercial competition has no incentive to keep improving. Literally, there is not one thing that CR has done that another site didn't do first.

We went from a market where CR was a defacto streaming monopoly, getting all but two or three shows per season, to a market where shows are more evenly distributed between two services. Breaking one monopoly and more evenly splitting the market does not automatically mean that the new entry will become a monopoly. Plenty of very large companies have tried to enter new markets and fallen flat on their face. Hulu has huge corporate advantages compared to Netflix, but they haven't been able to surpass them. Netflix was a fraction the size of Blockbuster and buried them. Just having money isn't enough to succeed, let alone dominate a market.
Radames125470

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Do you have specific examples? Certainly some may have gotten more viewers had they been on CR but compared to Netflix's titles or The Great Passage, I don't know the effect on Strike's titles aren't merely marginal. But if you have a clear example I'd like to hear it.

I mean Re: Creators, Grimoire of Zero, Sagrada Reset and Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul were all supposed to be incredibly popular.

As soon as Anime Strike got them, the hype for all those shows died.

The only place people were actually viewing those shows was KA and HS. AS is so limited it's damaging the properties they do get.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
Radames125470 wrote:
I mean Re: Creators, Grimoire of Zero, Sagrada Reset and Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul were all supposed to be incredibly popular.

Re:Creators - Maybe. people still seem to be watching it anyway though.
Grimoire - This is available outside of AS. It's also just generally not been particularly popular and has a lukewarm response from those who saw it.
Sagrada - This series is also available outside of AS. Also lukewarm if not leaning towards negative response. People say it's very boring.
Bahamut - A sequel to a previous series so isn't going to be as strong as standalone shows, as it requires knowing season 1.
Radames125470

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Radames125470 wrote:

It's nowhere near the level it would be had the show been streamed on CR. There it would have thrived and probably garnered a lot of attention. Instead if people wanted to watch it they had to rely on KA.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Radames125470 wrote:

Grimoire - This is available outside of AS. It's also just generally not been particularly popular and has a lukewarm response from those who saw it.
Sagrada - This series is also available outside of AS. Also lukewarm if not leaning towards negative response. People say it's very boring.
Bahamut - A sequel to a previous series so isn't going to be as strong as standalone shows, as it requires knowing season 1.

For series that "nobody is watching" and that suffered a "death of hype", I still see a fair amount of people discussing them online. I even seen American posters talking about watching them on Strike. Hell, I've seen active discussions of Sagrada Reset, despite the fact that allegedly "everyone dropped it because it was boring."

I get that some people are pirating them, but that even happens with shows that CR streams. I recently read an article that stated that the pirated streams of Attack on Titan outnumbered the legal streams and TV viewing combined by almost five to one. I've also run into a number of people that had no idea the site they were using were not legally licensing the shows. People on these forums sometimes forget that we are not the entirety of anime fandom.
Radames125470

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
If anything is going to thrive this season and be the real winner is KA and HS. Cause that is where people will go that refuse to support AS.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
Radames125470 wrote:
If anything is going to thrive this season and be the real winner is KA and HS. Cause that is where people will go that refuse to support AS.

If they go to pirate sites that collect ad revenue from properties they aren't paying for, then they really can't make the argument that they care about the medium or the creators. I can understand torrenting, as no one really makes a profit from that. But these pirate streaming sites don't even allow you to use an ad blocker because they want to make money off you, and it's mostly profit since they pay nothing for their shows, and generally just still the subs and translations off other services. Some even do direct video rips of other sites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7