• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Giant Robo, Kimagure Orange Road, Galaxy Express 999, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Great to see all these licenses and KoR on BD (though I don't know if I'll be upgrading myself).
Too bad they didn't mention anything about Haruka's OVA Finale, I'd like to be sure they're releasing the whole thing before picking it up.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I won't be surprised if Discotek merges with a fellow competitor, and/or is bought out by a major Japanese or domestic media company. Even if business is booming at the moment, it quite likely received a shot of capital from some investors to be able to afford all of these older, albeit still major series. The same is applicable to Right Stuf/Nozomi Entertainment. Frankly, I welcome continuing optimism in the overseas anime industry.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
These anime when???
Please stop spamming this list. It doesn't contribute to forum discussion, as we can't affect their licensing choices. I'd suggest contacting the relevant companies once to let your wishes be known.

Covnam wrote:
Too bad they didn't mention anything about Haruka's OVA Finale, I'd like to be sure they're releasing the whole thing before picking it up.
Maybe they're waiting to see how the sales of the first two seasons do. But if a large percentage of the population that enjoyed the Haruka Nogizaka franchise refuse to buy the earlier seasons, it's not going to encourage Discotek to pick up Finale.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
So it's basically a crapshoot with discotek like with AoA where they put their stuff on multiple platforms. I was hoping someone would say they are almost all on Hulu or crunchyroll or somewhere else But at least I know to check crunchyroll in the future

With AoA, they put their stuff on multiple platforms as its licensed (and generally all the platforms).

With Discotek, everything of theirs I've noticed that was simulcast on Crunchy is still there. As things get licensed, a lot of it gets put up on Crunchy once it's ready. IIRC, most of this stuff was previously un-licensed (or long-since-lapsed), so there was no one to provide the rights for Crunchy to stream it. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these make it onto Crunchy sometime in the near future.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Giant Robo is also huge for me! I have the DVDs, but this clearly deserves a bluray and to just look so damn gorgeous!

Yup! Can't freaking wait! So glad this is finally coming!

Looks like I'll be picking up a bunch of these newly announced releases.

penguintruth wrote:
And his English voice actor went on to voicing older Joseph in JoJo!

So good! Smile That was a great treat that he voiced old man Joseph, love hearing Richard Epcar!

On that note, I'll definitely be pre-ordering this Lupin movie ASAP thanks to that glorious Lupin dub cast coming in to do it. Hopefully this is a good sign they'll be able to get Part V after the Japanese airing is finished, it was so good having them for Part IV and also seeing it on Toonami.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
So much for saving up money. I think I'm gonna need more storage space at this rate.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
So much for saving up money. I think I'm gonna need more storage space at this rate.

Yup, same here, LOL.
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for:

UFO Robo Grendizer
Darkstalkers OVA on bluray
Blood+
Dangaioh OVA
Anything Macross
Mazinger on sd/bd
Great Mazinger sd/bd
Highlander Search for Vengeance
Bastard!!

These are all old and/or stuff you have the licenses for already. Hurry up!!
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I still own all the Animeigo KORs and the Giant Robo DVDs and all I can say is, these appearing on Blu-ray? Oh happy day!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
It’s full HD. The new transfer was done in Japan for Netflix last year. It’s gorgeous.

Thank for debunking the notions that Discotek's release was going to be SD-BD. I look forward to watching cell animation in astonishing HD.

If it really is the whole series, and not just one of the many later revivals or the movies (which could also use a good Blu-ray), I still MUST ask how they're planning to get 113 GE999 episodes on 3 BD's, even with restoration.
Sure sounds like SDBD to me, although thankfully in a better master than those cheap borderline-bootleg S'More streaming-ripped versions.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:57 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
I won't be surprised if Discotek merges with a fellow competitor, and/or is bought out by a major domestic or Japanese media company. Even if business is booming at the moment, surely they got a shot of capital from some investors to be able to afford all of these older, albeit still major series. The same is applicable to Right Stuf/Nozomi Entertainment. Frankly, I welcome this continuing optimism in the overseas anime industry.

Why fix something that's not broken? Discotek's current business model is more than good enough for the industry and the fandom. I don't like the idea about them being invested in by investors who will want a greater say in corporate affairs that may or may not be in the interests of either the fans or Discotek. Let Discotek do their own thing. It works and works beautifully!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The characters in Kimagure Orange Road, look a lot like the ones from Ranma. I wonder why that particular Lupin entry was chosen, not saying it shouldn't be, just that there are more well known titles out there.

It's a Lupin movie. That's all that matters.

I agree -- it's Lupin, period. Be glad it's getting released.
More "well-known" titles is relative. Lupin's not THAT well-known and appreciated in North America.
For too many people still, Lupin begins and ends with Castle of Cagliostro and I don't even think that's Lupin's best animated feature, either... Looks too much like Nausicaa! Laughing

The Lupin III film they just licensed hasn't ever been released on home video in North America, period, and it's nice to see they have confidence to contract for another dub with the Geneon cast. More people will hopefully pick up the movie knowing there is a dub option.
I hope that means Part 4's dub release and TV airing did well enough... They still haven't to my knowledge scheduled the sub-release of Lupin III Part 4 yet.
I think we'll hear about any licensing decisions with Lupin III Part 5 next year...

I'm kind of wondering why the 1996 KOR animated movie wasn't licensed if they're going to license the rest of the anime franchise... That didn't make sense to me unless it's a rights issue. I own the ADV DVD release and it's not bad. It's part of the franchise and so far the only bit of KOR that was ever dubbed. It is a significant story picking up with the leads after the end of the TV series.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Very happy with these announcements, especially Orange Road, which is incredibly underrated, and still my favorite slice-of-life anime.

Also happy about GE999 and Bobobo. Not only was the latter screwed over by Illumnitoon, but both shows were screwed by S'more Ent. They gave GE999 terrible and expensive DVD sets that basically took the streaming masters with hard subs and slapped them on disc. Bobobo at least got a billingual release, albeit with no subtitles (not counting a DVD-ROM script print-out to follow along with. LOL).

Zalis116 wrote:
And would GE99 be the first North American in-house BD upscale of analog masters?

Viz's Sailor Moon releases I think would be this.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Excited to get KOR on Blu-ray. Was not expecting Voltes V to be picked up.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
Is Discotek perhaps not big enough of a company to afford the streaming rights for many of their shows? That is, shows that don't currently have an streaming version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6