• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsurune

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AA751

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it's more difficult to decide which of them is really Minato's friend, and which is furthering his own agenda.

Can't it be both. I don't think it's either all. Both of them are friends but both have their own agendas.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
A full cour in and this show hasn't shaken its Free aura. Usually there would be nothing wrong with it but, Free exists, its a rehash of something we have already seen before from the same studio. After the an OK response, both commercially and critically, from Violet Evergarden Kyoani decided to play it safe.

Personally, I think the series would be a lot better if the female members of the club were more integrated into the story. As the girls are so, I feel like they are just there in the corner offering little to the story. They are a club and there are 2 clear distinct groups based on sex and, based on previous experiences in HS and college, its seems odd that a relatively earnest club is fractured like this. In any case, I think having female input here and there to their problems, from practicing to personal problem, would offer more engaging and interesting plot.
Imadeatree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:

Personally, I think the series would be a lot better if the female members of the club were more integrated into the story. As the girls are so, I feel like they are just there in the corner offering little to the story.

You know what's funny? they are more fleshed out here in the anime than in the novel. In the novel, (at least in the first book, the second volume is still not finished in translation) they barely appear, sometimes I feel like the author put them there so as to have club members, the anime actually gives them a little bit more of screen time that what they even had in the novel.

Watching only the anime, it does have a few similarities to Free! Especially when it comes to the whole Shuu/Seiya/Minato (very similar to the dynamic Makoro/Haru/Rin had)debacle, and if you read the novel, you would realize that the conflict they show in the anime, it's not exactly like that in the novel. While I feel some changes had been nice (showing more of the girls, the bits with Masa-san's grandpa, the flashbacks to the day Minato's mom died), some others I dislike. But there is something the anime and the novel had done for me, I don't like Seiya, I just can't like him, boy acts way to entitled to anything and everything Minato is, and it pains me to even see him.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Imadeatree wrote:
But there is something the anime and the novel had done for me, I don't like Seiya, I just can't like him, boy acts way to entitled to anything and everything Minato is, and it pains me to even see him.

Well, he sure seems to have plenty of issues, but for me he crossed The Line That Must Not Be Crossed when he made Masa sad, so the little shit can die in a fire now for all i care... Evil or Very Mad

Seriously, when did this anime turn into "Minato's harem"? Especially since the boy is about as bland as they get...and they sure cranked up the melodrama, i was Rolling Eyes like crazy when Seiya almost succumbed to anime disease.

But i really liked the scene between Masa and Tommy-sensei, Shuu is still very handsome and intriguing and of course, there's Kacchan - light of my life, so i'm still enjoying this show overall.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Imadeatree"]
casenumber00 wrote:

But there is something the anime and the novel had done for me, I don't like Seiya, I just can't like him, boy acts way to entitled to anything and everything Minato is, and it pains me to even see him.

[quote="Merida"]
Imadeatree wrote:

Well, he sure seems to have plenty of issues, but for me he crossed The Line That Must Not Be Crossed when he made Masa sad, so the little shit can die in a fire now for all i care... Evil or Very Mad

LMAO I'm so glad not be the only one that feel that way about this character. I see many fans of Seiya but I'm not one of them.
AA751

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
There are some major creepy moments with Seiya in the novel so when they cut it out in the adaptation I thought it would make Seiya more tolerable..but no. He's still creepy.
quaton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
The newest review has convinced me that the reviewer is not giving Tsurune a fair chance nor does she want to by the looks of it. Narrative layers are being completely dismissed, the care that's going into the characters is not recognized and the reviews are contradicting themselves when it comes to the show's tone.

The reviewer has already admitted that she's a fan of Free! and went in expecting something similiar with Tsurune, which is the opposite of giving it a fair chance as they're nothing alike once you look past the surface. Tsurune is a quiet and introspective show, there's a focus on "show don't tell" which might go over one's head. Unfortunately, this seems to be the case here.

It's a true shame that Tsurune is not being viewed at objectively. If Tsurune gets a sequel, I sincerely hope someone without bias will get to review it.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
^Well, instead of complaining, why don't you give us your take on the show instead? In the end reviews are nothing more than opinions which are up to debate, that is why this discussion thread exists. But simply accusing the reviewer of "being biased" or "not getting it" isn't very helpful, to be honest...
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seiya and Minato's disagreement is played almost romantically, like when Nanao observes that if Seiya were a girl, his negative response would call for a lot of analysis about what he really means. This is definitely a decision made to create more drama, but it comes across as fairly artificial.

Another reason to remember Hibike with his huge dose of romantic metaphors and “I wanted Kumiko to look like a boy in love”, lol. I even read “geometric poses” as “homoerotic”.

Imadeatree wrote:
You know what's funny? they are more fleshed out here in the anime than in the novel. In the novel, (at least in the first book, the second volume is still not finished in translation) they barely appear, sometimes I feel like the author put them there so as to have club members, the anime actually gives them a little bit more of screen time that what they even had in the novel.

I expected this, given that most of their personality is revealed through interaction with boys and, in general, all three girls look like the female version of Shuichi. Not that I expected some heterosexual romance in this work, at least in the anime adaptation, but it is obvious that the girls were clearly intentionally separated by the author from the passionate interaction between the boys and the intended yaoi ship bait.

In any case, girls akogare torwards Seo can easily be read as "don't worry, they are not interested in boys at the moment" and as far as I heard, the original LN raises Shudo's implication to absurd heights.
Imadeatree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
This week's episode was honestly the last straw for me in terms of what to expect from the anime lmao. Often times I would see people complain over the anime not being loyal to the source material (manga/novel/game etc) and I would say they were over-reacting but I just...
Kyoani, you do remember there's a novel for Tsurune right???? Like, why are you writing all these things into the story that didn't even happen in the novel?.

Episode 11 could be called filler with a bit of canon if you ask me. spoiler[A lot of the changes that were made to the anime in relation to the novel were huge. Minato's conversations with Masa-san have always been a they thing, Minato never went around talking to the other boys about Masa-san's life. Masa-san is not obsessed with his grandpa, he mourns him, sure but ]like...the anime just paints it all in a way too dramatic lighting. Kyoani did you forget this is a different anime and not Free!? lmao.

It doesn't even make sense in the mood of the anime. 'Revenge' jesus, this is an anime about boys doing archery and growing up, it's not about revenge lmao. If you really think of the premise for Masa-san's character in the anime, like 'My grandpa was harsh on me when training and now im gonna get my revenge from him by being a good teacher! yeah that ought to show him' ....really?

I wish I never found the novel lmao, because seeing how so many things differ from the anime, has made me not like the anime anymore, in the first episodes it was cool, then I read the novel...and now the only thing I like about the anime is the animation (damn Masa-san u fine).
AA751

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Imadeatree wrote:
Kyoani, you do remember there's a novel for Tsurune right???? Like, why are you writing all these things into the story that didn't even happen in there).

I am just so floored they completely changed the ending in this episode. I'm just. To me the event that should have happened was the most important and pivotal part of the story. Its just now they changed it...what's the point?

What is kyoani trying to achieve? I'm very unhappy. They lost a good opportunity to adapt something a bit different from their usual format. Cowards.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Even me that haven't read the novel is really pissed off... I really wish that MAPPA had done it. Evil or Very Mad I'm very tired of Kyoani queerbating and bad writting. Really cowards.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
Well, whatever the source story was about, I'm enjoying this story as it is. I especially liked the examination of how differently we perceive age groups we're not part of yet from how we feel when we reach that age. You don't really feel yourself maturing, regardless of how much or little you change, so the perceptions are a bit off both from within and without. And since they made the point a lot more eloquently than I just did, I can't call the writing bad. It may be different from the source, but that's ok.

I also think too much is being made of Masa's use of the word "revenge." The written word sounds dire, full of passion and fury, but Masa's delivery whenever saying it was always more musing, as if it were just a word that seemed to be applicable, if not entirely accurate. And yeah, the "I'll show you!" motivation is a bit childish, but that's kinda the point.

When he was prepping to leave, somehow I knew he was going to get in an accident, but then I got distracted by the hideously janky animation of the car driving away. All I could think was, "This is Kyoani??" I guess their forte is people and backgrounds. Very Happy
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, whatever the source story was about, I'm enjoying this story as it is

Same. I've got little interest in the novels aside from a morbid curiosity what all the complaining is about, but the novel readers seem to prefer complaining to explaining...

Personally, i'd prefer a bit more archery and less traffic accidents (which somehow seem to be considered the pinnacle of drama in this series...), but overall i'm still enjoying this a lot.
Imadeatree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Same. I've got little interest in the novels aside from a morbid curiosity what all the complaining is about, but the novel readers seem to prefer complaining to explaining...

Personally, i'd prefer a bit more archery and less traffic accidents (which somehow seem to be considered the pinnacle of drama in this series...), but overall i'm still enjoying this a lot.

I presume the 'complaining not explaining' was mostly thrown out there with not actual attempt to get an answer, but since I have free time and apparently complaining over this anime has become my source of entertainment at the moment (wow im lame) I thought "why not explain?"

Right now, without actually checking the translation for the novel, I don't remember all the things that were changed, so I'm just gonna list the ones I remember now.
Many spoilers ahead

spoiler[
-Minato met masa-san by chance during a bike ride where he ended up in the shrine and saw him.
-He went to the club exhibit after that encounter, and when things went sour in the club, he kinda escaped to the shrine, got drenched in the rain, had to change, got told quite a few funny things by Masa-san and talked about his hayake with him.
-Kaito is actually very observant of Seiya in the novel, there's even a point where Seiya calls him Kaachan. That entire dynamic was practically erased in the anime
-Minato trains for a bit with Masa-san how to control his hayake, hides it from Seiya who gets angry at him for not telling him where he's going, and some other kyudo competition related events, they get into a fight, Seiya pushes Minato, and hurts him in the back. Some time after that Minato ends up again in the shrine, with an injured bleeding back, and Masa-san heals him ('take off your shirt' and everything)
-There's a lot , a looot ot kyudo theory in the novel, even the translator has issues translating them, Idk why they didn't put actual kyudo info in the anime, like, I know it can be too much at times, but when I tell you there is a lot of info, I truly mean a lot, and little to none made it to the anime.
-Minato doesn't shoot Masa-san's 10k arrow, Masa-san does, they actually talked about how Masa san worked out his hayake, and the relationship he had with his master (aka the 'revenge' grandpa) after that conversation was that Minato decided he wanted to continue kyudo and was gonna join the club.
-Masa-san actually teaches them a lot, and there are times where the kyudo theory in the novel are words spoken by him.
-There was not such a thing as a 'competition' where the loosers had to clean and do all that when they went to masa-san's shrine, they didn't bond over a cap accident (in the novel a random girl appears in the camp and gets angry at nanao and throws his cap in the river, once again, minato gets wet and Masaki offers his clothes to him) Nanao tells Kaito about the cap incident, he for once acknowledges Minato and thanks him.
-Masa-san and Minato talked about the accident with Minato's mom, and how Minato thought maybe Seiya was blaming himself over it, after that Seiya got sick, we get Minato going to his house and giving him the poky box.
-Seiya never told Masa-san he hated him, nor was he questioned either by Shuu or Masa-san about his drive towards kyudo.
-Minato and Seiya talked about Seiya blaming himself over the accident with Minato's mom, and they got to a resolution, about Minato also helping Seiya shoulder his burdens and stuff, is then we get the forehead on shoulder moment.
-Kaito and Nanao are family, they spend time together because of that, their moms and sisters appear in the novel at some point, never to be seen in the anime lol
-Ryohei never talked with a random kyudo store owner about Minato's hayake
-a few of kirisaki's kyudo club scene were cut, gone to oblivion.
-the boys go fishing
-there was a whole foreshadowing of Masa-san's accident with a story of a fish, never to be seen in the anime.
-the accident happened while they were on an outing to buy new supplies and things for their bows and stuff. Minato, Seiya and Masaki were in a cafe and Minato went outside and a truck lost control and a bunch of planks of woods were about to pretty much kill Minato and Masa-san stepped in and got injured instead. Minato was pretty shocked, Seiya was very useful, and then Minato understood how Seiya felt over his mom's accident because he felt guilty about what happened to Masa-san.
-That accident happened before competition, there was no tournament that day.
-The parents make an appearance, the moms become in love with Masa-san. Minato says he shall follow if something bad happens to Masa-san again, (or something like that)
-very gay moments between Seiya and Kaito, and Masaki and Minato
-the girls bake cookies
-The day of the last tournament, Masa-san escapes from the hospital and surprises Minato by going to see the competition, only he knows Masa-san is there. Not such a thing as a phone call with the team.
]

And many many more things, and this doesn't even include the dialogues they shared, and how things came to be between the team by the end of the first novel. The anime is a story different from the novel, because it creates conflicts that are not there, and doesn't fully develop the ones that do exist in the novel. If you read the novel, and then re-watch the anime, you're gonna be like 'wait, none of this happened in the actual novel'.

Look I don't mind people liking the anime as its own thing, that's cool. The thing is that, there is a source material out there, which could had used some developing on things like the girls and maybe creating more team work between the club members, but there was a good story there, that maybe just needed fleshing on the dialogue part, but Kyoani decided different and, it's disappointing, because they can do great animes, we know they can, and they didn't.

I define this as their unnecessary need for making everything revolve around Seiya/Minato and erase anything that happens between Seiya/Kaito and Minato/Masaki (because Minato and Masaki are very personal, they share many moments together, and a lot of coffee, too much coffee). It's just, really, like the anime, you can like it. I'm sorry if all the complaining made people annoyed lmao. Just why kyoani, why???? You could have banked all that fujo coin, and now you might not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6