• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Judge Orders Mignogna, Remaining Defendants to Mediate Before October 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
To be honest I don't think the judge is going the mediation route for the sake of the community but it's because he's a professional and he's just trying to seek an impartial outcome. Other than the death threats against himself, the judge probably has little interest in the fandom drama.

Did you read the transcript though? I agree your assessment would be my go-to in most cases, but by his wording in the transcript, it does sound like the judge is invested not in the "fandom drama" but in settling this issue as peacefully as possible for the sake of the community. I mean, the idea of getting literal death threats from a TCPA hearing on a japanese cartoon voice actor must be pretty wild to him

Of course I think it's a bit naïve to think the Vic mob will be appeased even if the mediation succeeds, heck, even in the infinitesimally unlikely case that Vic won, their hate campaign wouldn't stop. I just kind of appreciated that the judge wasn't dismissive of the violent chinese cartoons or something

ETA: What... happened to the post i quoted. I'm so confused
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Some of the parties involved must feel real bad after early celebrations on social media. That's why you don't talk about these things when the lawsuit isn't finished. I hope the defendants are smart enough to settle otherwise the lawsuit will drag on for years. They owe it to Vic for firing him for his behavior when they all do the same thing or even worse. The hypocrisy is big, especially with Funimation.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Some of the parties involved must feel real bad after early celebrations on social media.

Why? Nothing significant has changed. The vast majority of the complaints are still dismissed. This is not a victory for Vic. (It's not really a victory for anyone.)

Though if anyone is sitting in the driver's set it's the defendants... Assuming Beard is successful in an appeal (and though not impossible, that's a big assumption): They still have the "Beard filed late" card. Even if Beard's dumpster fire of a filing survives that, they still have the "false notarization" card. Even if he survives that - there's still the general lack of evidence against the defendants and abundance of evidence against Vic (including his own very damming testimony during deposition).
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Some of the parties involved must feel real bad after early celebrations on social media. That's why you don't talk about these things when the lawsuit isn't finished. I hope the defendants are smart enough to settle otherwise the lawsuit will drag on for years. They owe it to Vic for firing him for his behavior when they all do the same thing or even worse. The hypocrisy is big, especially with Funimation.

This development doesn't change anything. Mignogna's case is just as weak as it was when it was filed. This is just the judge ordering mediation so he doesn't have to rule on the remaining claims. In short, it's a way for Mignogna to cut his losses. And mediation doesn't necessarily have to produce an agreement--I see no reason why Rial, Toye or Funimation would want to give an inch when they didn't do anything wrong. They'll be back in court Oct. 4 and Judge Chupp will rule for the defendants.

Mignogna will have to pay their attorneys. I, for one, hope this bankrupts him.
Expias

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Maybe if this was a wrongful termination case but even Ty Beard contended that wouldn't matter since Texas is an At-Will employment state.

The defendants may settle but they won't be and aren't required to apologize or make up for anything. Vic probably will though Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
They owe it to Vic for firing him for his behavior when they all do the same thing or even worse. The hypocrisy is big, especially with Funimation.

The thing is, even if that were true (and I don't agree that it is), hypocrisy isn't illegal and "everybody else is doing it" is not an excuse. It doesn't work with your boss, it doesn't work with the cop who pulls you over, it doesn't even work with your mom. So why do you think it would work in a court of law?

But remember, Vic is the one suing. Saying "but they did it too!" is admitting he did do it, right? So if someone points out he did it, they're not lying, and if they're not lying, it's not defamation. It still baffles me that his lawyer would even introduce that argument for the plaintiff in a defamation case.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Maybe if this was a wrongful termination case but even Ty Beard contended that wouldn't matter since Texas is an At-Will employment state.

The defendants may settle but they won't be and aren't required to apologize or make up for anything. Vic probably will though Smile

Oh it will be monumentally bad for Vic if he does not settle. Because he has zero leverage, on top of that, the judge has all but said he will dismiss all remaining claims by October.

On top of that, Vic has to realize that for the past 20 plus years, he has been belittling the women he has victimized for years. Every time he has done a panel and the topic of rumors come up, he has been quick to downplay and deny it all. He calls people who know of Vic's various misdeeds as sad lonely trolls. And he has ginned up his fans to attack his critics.

A mediation process, is going to make Vic realize all of that. If he refuses to listen? Fine, he can be out over $250k in attorney fees and penalties.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

The defendants hold all the cards here. It's fairly clear the judge is inclined to toss the rest of the case. So it's a matter of what they want out of Mignogna and Mignogna wanting to limit (to the extent possible) how much he would have to pay the defendants' legal costs. So it's the difference between Mignogna being on the hook for, say, 90% of costs and issuing a genuine public apology and Mignogna being on the hook for every penny.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
They owe it to Vic for firing him for his behavior when they all do the same thing or even worse.

They all sexually assault people?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
They owe it to Vic for firing him for his behavior when they all do the same thing or even worse.

They all sexually assault people?

Because they all use bad words and dub risqué anime, which if we’re being honest, is just as bad as grabbing a woman’s hair and sticking your tongue in her ear.

/s
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

So making stupid jokes in the past, being upset when presented with death threats, and being victims of sexual harassment/assault is as bad or worse then the person who actually has perpetually shown that last behavior, as well as other toxic conduct? I think you need to quit with the victim blaming and posts excusing such conduct. You've made several of them in the past several Vic threads where you basically call the victims liars and think they, and Funi owe Vic something. Nobody owes him a damn thing because he brought this on himself with his reprehensible conduct, and ill-advised hiring of legal counsel not suited to participate in a clown circus.

As for everyone else let's all of us move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5