• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Dress-Up Darling (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:42 pm Reply with quote
10:

I will admit: I did feel uncomfortable at the idea of Marin (who's FIFTEEN, let me remind you) wanting to cosplay Veronica (who's basically half-naked). I'm not surprised that Gojo is turning down the opportunity to help her with this "project", and Marin not pushing it. Marin would push it, but she does have some sense. Some.

And you know what's weird? When Marin was tripping over her anklets, the "right" thing to have happened was her falling on top of Gojo, not backwards. Why is this pulling this punch? What are you up to, show!?

DuskyPredator wrote:
Are we talking about with just Gojo, or the some notes of her likely bisexuality relating to her reactions to the other cosplayers?

Never occurred to me that she may have bisexual tendencies. Personally I've met girls in RL who simp over female characters much more than male ones. Also applies in other contexts in RL, not just anime fandom. Sometimes even to the point of worship / idolatry.

Personally I don't get worship / idolatry / simping, but that's what I've observed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:20 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Are we talking about with just Gojo, or the some notes of her likely bisexuality relating to her reactions to the other cosplayers?

Never occurred to me that she may have bisexual tendencies. Personally I've met girls in RL who simp over female characters much more than male ones. Also applies in other contexts in RL, not just anime fandom. Sometimes even to the point of worship / idolatry.

I think that it practically pretty blatant at this point. You saw how she reacted when leaning over Sajuna, and then her going off about underboob. Is that really ways that a straight girl acts?

At the same time, her super attraction to Gojo, seeing all of those shirts that totally clash with him as actually cute, was really funny.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I hate shopping so much that by the time they were done, I was exhausted just from watching them. I wouldn't have lasted ten minutes in Gojo's shoes, especially with Marin bouncing off the walls around me. -_-'
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This show has really grown on me. I mean, I have basically liked it from the beginning but I really look forward to every new episode. I enjoy Marin's infectious enthusiasm and Goto's straightforward helpfulness. This is not a "healing" anime like Aria but it has a gentle, niceness that I find very soothing. It's sort of like the anti-Gina Szanboti, heh-heh-heh (I kid, I kid!!!)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Razz
EmmaDash

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Worth checking this out in English or stick to sub?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:06 pm Reply with quote
11:

Just do it already, good god.

EmmaDash wrote:

I've stopped watching dub since 2000, and personally I have no reason turn back.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:02 am Reply with quote
That got horny.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
The tension was palpable, let me tell you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 am Reply with quote
Ah, teenage hormones. Gotta love them.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:36 pm Reply with quote
EmmaDash wrote:

I'm not the best judge because I never watch dubs, but I think you'd miss a lot if you didn't listen to the Japanese soundtrack. Both mains have excellent voice actors.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Final:

Nothing extraordinary happening for the final episode, but it was tastefully done. Wasn't sure what score to give this show, maybe a 6.5, but seeing how it well it ended, I'd give it a 7/10.

The show is sweet and adorable. I mean, that's the whole hook of the show. Two kids from two entirely different worlds being together because of a common hobby. It's just fun to see them and their hijinks. Some parts are sexually gratuitous, others I'm not too comfortable with (they're 15, mind you). But for most parts, it's adorable.

Perhaps I would have wanted to see Marin's friends more; I mean, we did see them for time to time. Maybe for the second season, if there is one. I had a good time watching this. It's not god-tier anime like what some people are making this out to be, but it's nice.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I’m sure there’ll be a second season considering that the manga sold an additional two million volumes since the anime started airing. However, I don’t expect a second season until next year since there currently isn’t enough original material yet to do another dozen episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:59 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it. Ignoring the age element of things, I think the show delivered on something that I had been waiting for a while. Since the likes of My First Girlfriend is a Gal, I had been looking forward to anime that could deliver on a good romantic comedy with a gyaru, where it could feel like her sexuality was respected and in her control rather than a general fetishization that felt like it objectified her. That particular show totally failed on it, but I think that Dress Up Darling totally worked it. Undeniably there are some sexuality around (again please put aside whatever their canon age is right now), but it didn't feel like it was something out of her control, and was really a part of what made her feel confident. That is how you do sexiness right.

Of course, probably also pretty easy to see her character as sort of pandering in these areas, seeing as the otaku side of her character does look like a pretty easy thing to sell to say, a male otaku audience. But there is also a lot to like about her endearing side of say her perverse parts of her hobby, just as much as her more adorable side. I think some of my favourite parts were when she started to get all enamoured by how cute she thought Gojou was with something.

And I have to talk about Gojou. He isn't just flat as cardboard audience insert, nor something like a secret pervert that can be used an excuse to leer on his friend. Gojou is a bit of a dork, he gets a bit too flustered at times, and is an in general more muted character, but he is also a big sweetie, he also doesn't judge others for liking what they do. And I would say that he just as much earns his moments of coming across as awesome when he has his great observations of a cosplay creation design, and his other creativity skills. As much as Marin also had her parts of being able to model the outfits, like revealing what her part time job was in the last episode (a model),

In general I really liked the pathos of this series, of letting people like what they do. Marin with her otaku interests and clearly fashion, and Gojou with his appreciation of Hina dolls and being able to create such feminine articles. And I think probably the tops in this regard was when the little sister character wanted to cosplay as the guy, that was awesome. And again, how sexuality gets a thumbs up, even if also recognising that these are minors, so having them as adults might have improved, as much as it might have made it difficult to put these two together somehow, and also them being clearly influenced my teenage hormones was also a great part of some of the more charged scenes.

My rating is going to be Excellent (9/10), I might have thought alone this would be one of my choices of a show to pay attention to, and yet it seems to have actually been pretty widely popular. It does have some parts that I would love to see continued in with the rest of the genre.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
I'll be headed to Anime North in July (it is usually held the last weekend of May but covid-19 changed that for this year), so I'll be seeing a bunch of real life Marins, I guess. Lovely show. It took me a few episodes to really get into it, but once I climbed onboard I was a very happy passenger for the rest of the ride. They found a satisfying place to stop and from a narrative standpoint another season isn't strictly necessary since I feel a full story has been told... BUT I DON'T CARE!!! I want more!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5